Mass Copper, Liberty Head, Indian Head on MV

Flyingbuy

Apr 20, 2009
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLabs (Explorer ) , Tesoro (DeLeon ) ,Garrett (AT Pro Gold)
I live on Martha's Vineyard and almost never hunt the beaches ? I prefer the old farms and ancient pathways that run up and down the island. I have been hitting the same field for a few years , with great results , it's vast maybe 100 + acres ,one cellar hole, many stone walls ,dates mid to late 1700's . It's given up pre 1800 coins from all around the world. This weekend was a great day to hit the field, cool temps , and still no crowds on the island. I decided to re~detect some areas that I had covered but at a rapid pace. I have an issue with "hotrocks" out here in the spring ? , and usually use my minelabs underwater detector to deal with the issue however I have gotten better with my Tesoro and distinguishing between targets and rocks. On this day I chose to go very slow and dialed up the Tesoro with low discrimination and high sensitivity settings. The first target I desided to dig was indicating 8" deep and after sifting thru the loose dirt I recovered the 1864 Indian head . An hour later, I had recovered a hand full of early buttons and other typical early trash. As I focus along a stone wall I got a target that I really couldn't tell if it was a hotrock or good target ? I decided to dig it and as I pulled a baseball size rock thought I had been fooled but after removing the rock I scanned the dirt pile and had a strong 95 signal, out pooped the the green disc we all like to see !! I gently whipped the dirt away to see the standing indian and the " Common Wealth " lettering. I have always want to find one of these and with all the other odd coin I have recovered from this field I am not surprised but very happy to have found one of these !! About ten minutes later I pulled another copper, in tough shape but always welcome, a liberty head penny , date ? not readable. I am now going recover some areas I have detected at a slower pace , and will post anything worthy here !!

Attachments

• GEDC1320.JPG
    GEDC1320.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 563
  • GEDC1310.JPG
    GEDC1310.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 552
  • GEDC1321.JPG
    GEDC1321.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 550
  • GEDC1314.JPG
    GEDC1314.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 598
  • GEDC1316.JPG
    GEDC1316.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 553
  • GEDC1309.JPG
    GEDC1309.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 553
  • GEDC1322.JPG
    GEDC1322.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That MA copper is one I have never dug. I have found Vermont's, Connecticut's, New Jersey's and Virginia's but I don't think many Massachussets got out to western PA.

Congrats on a nice find!

OP
OP
F

Flyingbuy

Apr 20, 2009
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Steve in PA said:
That MA copper is one I have never dug. I have found Vermont's, Connecticut's, New Jersey's and Virginia's but I don't think many Massachussets got out to western PA.

Congrats on a nice find!
Nice, I wish I could say I have found those states , But have nothing from NJ, VT,Conn, I do have a Virginia 1/2 penny. Coins out here are from around the world because of the shipping trade in the 1700's and 1800's , I have 1700's coins that are Irish, English, Portuguese, Spanish, even one from Haiti ,a 2 centime although later and dating 1841 . No gold ,many silver, the earliest being a Spanish cob coin. I'm headed to Westchester Pa this weekend and hope to hit some areas in the " Brandywine "

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What a sweet find! Unlike Steve, I am still looking for my 100% identifiable state copper. I have a few "maybe" state coppers.

Congrats on yours! I was up on the cape with my family last summer and did not have a minute to detect. It was cruel punishment driving around looking at the great sites to detect and not having the opportunity.

I am hoping to get back for a week or so next summer, and maybe I will find the time!

OP
OP
F

Flyingbuy

Apr 20, 2009
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Neil in West Jersey said:
What a sweet find! Unlike Steve, I am still looking for my 100% identifiable state copper. I have a few "maybe" state coppers.

Congrats on yours! I was up on the cape with my family last summer and did not have a minute to detect. It was cruel punishment driving around looking at the great sites to detect and not having the opportunity.

I am hoping to get back for a week or so next summer, and maybe I will find the time!
Go for it !! I summer on the Cape, growing up west of Boston, there are tons of great places to detect. Now, even though I'm island bound I have a great time wandering the woods out here. The other day I happened upon a small grave site in the woods. Not sure you can read this ??? But is basically says that this guy crashed and burned in a plane on July 10 back in the early 30's ~ I wasn't really digging it because I'm a pilot and my birthday is July 10 th !!!

Attachments

• GEDC1305.JPG
    GEDC1305.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 529
OP
OP
F

Flyingbuy

Apr 20, 2009
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Neil in West Jersey said:

Cape COD , MV WATCH OUT THE TICKS ARE BACK !!!!!!! Got out today and all I brought home were a few ticks !!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice old copper.

That site looks really great to.

Jer

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always know when you post it will be somethin good! Sorry I never got a chance to hop the ferry and rent a scooter. This year you'll see me zippin around with a detector strapped to the back..hahaha.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
F

Flyingbuy

Apr 20, 2009
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sniffy said:
I always know when you post it will be somethin good! Sorry I never got a chance to hop the ferry and rent a scooter. This year you'll see me zippin around with a detector strapped to the back..hahaha.
Hey , the island is still here along with the ticks !!!! The field in the picture is one they cut every spring and by July you can't even walk thru it. Did you find anything good on the Cape last year ? I have'nt been out that much this year but have pulled a few good coins .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread