Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesnt seem like 3 3/4 inches would hold alot of rail IMHO.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
My guess would be that the rail was for a large gun (cannon) to move on a small rail in a fortified positiion? :dontknow: something that could hold some weight but not a hole heck of a lot. just a guess.

OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
underdogger said:
My guess would be that the rail was for a large gun (cannon) to move on a small rail in a fortified positiion? :dontknow: something that could hold some weight but not a hole heck of a lot. just a guess.

OK thats something I/we did not think of and a very plausible idea.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
underdogger said:

It's also about the right size for a mine rail.

Eagle

OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown said:
underdogger said:

It's also about the right size for a mine rail.

Eagle

OK another good idea. HMMMMM the possibilities that i didnt think of.

OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mines that I can think of here but was THE singlemost bloodiest day of the Civil War where this spike was dug.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older railroads were "Narrow guage", maybe a search using these words might turn something up. Just my 2 cents worth. Niffler

M

MiniMe

Hey Roger,
Try putting this in the What is It section. Cool find.

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Seems to me in the movie The good , bad, and the ugly . Not sure what side but was when Blondie (Clint Eastwood) and his other partner and crime . His name slips my memory . They at the front line of the war and it seemed there was a rail in the front of the fortified positions . I also saw soldiers pushing big guns on mine rails . like you said . Maybe I am wrong but it was in that Movie.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It may have been used as a tent spike if there were camps nearby Getty. We find a lot of pin like iron relics that size in CS camps here. They coulds be picked up near railroads and tossed into wagons with canvas tents and used over and over. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
It may have been used as a tent spike if there were camps nearby Getty. We find a lot of pin like iron relics that size in CS camps here. They coulds be picked up near railroads and tossed into wagons with canvas tents and used over and over. HH, Quindy.

Thats the second person that has told me this so I will go along with that.

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
i will be the third i have found many of them on camp sites...but another thing that i have been told by oldtimers is the they also used these small spikes in building wooden structures as in bunkers and what have you..

Derail

Jun 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Underdogger is right. Often times, to move larger heavy objects to a site, a temporary light rail line was constructed just for that purpose. There would be no excavation or real ground work done. Just a quickly assembled line that followed the lay of the land. I too have found small spikes like yours in odd places. The first was near an abandoned town site in northern Minnesota where a logging railroad existed from 1904 until 1915. The logging railroad was a standard gauge line of regular construction for the day. But there were some 20 very small spikes scattered over an area where there used to be a camp near the town. Then one day at the local historical society, I stumbled upon an old photo of a steam shovel digging a grade through a hill for expanding the logging line (as written on the back of the photo). The shovel belonged to a hired contractor. And the shovel was large and and rail mounted. The photo showed it was on a narrow gauge - very small rail track that was obviously taken up and relocated as the machine had to be relocated. Ah-ha! The place where I found the 20 spikes was apparently a staging area where the contractor stored his track materials that accompanied his steam powered shovel.

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about for climbing up telegraph poles as seen in Walt Disney's 1950's film " The Great Locomotive Chase "? Nice find!

civilwarguy

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2012
villa rica georgia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2, tesoro tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First post here. A friend and I have just started detecting the johnson river line on the chattahoochee river in atlanta. This past weekend we went down to an area that was called turners ferry during the civil war. The union built a pontoon bridge at this location. The confederacy had breast works on both sides of the river until being pushed back into atlanta. We found a depression about 100 yds long. It just did not look natural for the area. We first thought it may be a rifle pit but did not produce many artifacts. It did however produce a lot of spikes just like the one pictured above. The closest rail way is 1/2 mile away. We found probably 20-30 of these spikes along that depression. We were thinking the same thing that they had a small rail of some type to move supplies up and down the river. We did not find any rails. We are going back next week and see if we can find the depression further up the river other than that I dont know what they could be for. We found most of them on the depression wall and not in the bottom. Most of the spikes were at 8-10 inches deep.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats the type of spikes used in the gold mines here....small gauge rail

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread