Jewlery found at old stone foundation

deadbird.81

Sep 21, 2010
SW PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Got out to an old foundation of some kind this week that we hunt by all the time. Was there for about 10 minutes when I found this with my ACE250. It was about 1 1/2 inches down. The only other finds were nails and some heavy duty cable and a cable anchor. This foundation sits on a river bank in a steep valley overlooking a river. Inside its lined with a different type of rock that was used for the walls. Its kind of almost domed in the rear where it goes into the hill. The pic I poster is of the lower wall. Theres a hole built into it low and in the center. Any idea what kind of structure this was? The necklace was found right below the tree in the left hand side of the pic. Theres a creek about 15-20 feet below the the stone wall. I gotta go back cause I got a real good signal for a silver in the creek bank close to this structure. I was digging but water kept filling my hole so I gotta take a bigger shovel back to dig it. Dont have much hope for it being worth anything but it sure was fun to dig it up. Was still a good surprise.
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzEtMjAxMTA0MTQtMTcyMS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzItMjAxMTA0MTQtMTc0NC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzktMjAxMTA0MTUtMDkwNi5qcGc.jpg

Upvote 0

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find ! :thumbsup:
H

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe your foundation is an old iron furnace. They were used to convert iron ore into iron. There are quite a few around here in central PA.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it could also be some form of logging or mill as most of the mills around used water power to cut lumber and run grinder wheels. that is a great find, you just reminded me I want to check some place out close that is right on the water...thank you!

here in eastern Pa where I'm at there are still some mills left, complete with water wheels (not many one that I know of is in Varden Pa)

Anyhow congrats on that find -I hope the diamonds are real and it's gold!!! nice.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ridger12 said:
I believe your foundation is an old iron furnace. They were used to convert iron ore into iron. There are quite a few around here in central PA.

ah your right after reading this post again- domed where it goes in to the hill- it's totally furnace like... I missed that when I first read the post- again very impressive find!

OP
OP
D

deadbird.81

Sep 21, 2010
SW PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
There are some coke ovens about 3/4 of a mile away in the same town. Funny thing was there was none of the usual junk around them like iron ore, red dog or slag. Really clean site in heavy woods. Not even any coal layin around on the ground. Theres a Grist Mill near by that I hunted once last year. It still has its water wheel. I found a(from what I'm told by posters on here) early 1800's womens hair clip from that site.

phifly04

Feb 13, 2011
Millsboro,De.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID/w Mods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!!Those old mill water wheels are worth thousands these days. HH
Dave

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the stone foundation but.... :dontknow: Your necklace looks like real 18k gold with real diamonds ?? :icon_scratch: Any marks or anything ? ??? You may want to take that to a jewelry store and have it tested !!! :icon_thumleft:

Great find !! :headbang:
Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

OP
OP
D

deadbird.81

Sep 21, 2010
SW PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The grist mill with the water wheel has been restored and is in great shape. I'm good friends with the guys that take care of the local renactments and the historical park. Actually last summer when I was going up to detect there they had me find a bunch of pipes that were buried. They are used for charges during renactments. I found them and they told me where some old foundations were. I found this hair clip right by the grist mill.
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDYtMjAxMDA5MjEtMjAyMy5qcGc.jpg

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Actually that is almost definitely a lime kiln. They are very common in PA. They were used to make quicklime from limestone. Quicklime was used to make cement/mortar and as a fertilizer.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a gorgeous necklace. congrats on a great find. let us know what you learn about it's quality and value when you get a chance

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Having jeweler's eyes, I can tell you that this is not real diamonds. The small stones are not pronged-in, but appear glued-in. The large stone is most likely a CZ and it is in a heavy electroplated setting. The neckchain appears to be a gold-plated or electroplate, by the type of clasp that I can just barely see.
Don't take my word on it though. Go to a pawn shop and get a second opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread