Went in seach of more early military buttons yesterday....

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had found War of 1812 era Artillery and Navy buttons on the previous two hunts. Unfortunately I didn't find any military buttons this time :-\

I did find 5 more flatties, a 1910 Barber dime, a "Peabody Brace" suspender buckle, and a J. K & B. tag. I took my usual hunting buddy Tom along and he found a couple buttons, a neat shield shaped escutheon of an unknown purpose, and a name tag from a early coal mine that operated in the area. I think I will let this site sit for a while since I have pounded it pretty hard over the last two years.

Attachments

• 4-17-11 ALL.jpg
    4-17-11 ALL.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 626
  • 1910 Barber.jpg
    1910 Barber.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 632
  • Peabody Brace.jpg
    Peabody Brace.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 657
  • J K & B Tag.jpg
    J K & B Tag.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 630
Upvote 0

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot of really cool finds there. I have found a few of those suspender buckles, they're pretty neat. barber looks real good too. Congrats

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still very nice finds Steve. Let the summer heat dry the soil and you will STILL DIG more fine coins and relics there in the Fall. When I first started detecting, a friend gave me some very good advice. He said that "things shift in the ground. Sometimes, the heating and cooling of the earth shifts that silver dime just enough to get a signal where it was not there before". Boy, was he right. HH, Quindy.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some cool relics and a nice dime :thumbsup:

Persistence pays in this game..

Blaze

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Still very nice finds Steve. Let the summer heat dry the soil and you will STILL DIG more fine coins and relics there in the Fall. When I first started detecting, a friend gave me some very good advice. He said that "things shift in the ground. Sometimes, the heating and cooling of the earth shifts that silver dime just enough to get a signal where it was not there before". Boy, was he right. HH, Quindy.
You are absolutely right Quindy and that is especially true on this site. The frost thaw cycle moves things a lot here in Pennsylvania. There is a lot of iron masking buttons and coins on this site. All it takes is for that small piece of iron to move a little bit in relation to the target, and now you can hear the target. I had wrote this site off 8 years ago when finds were petering out, then when I got my F75 it came back to life for a year and then petered out again. I let it sit for a couple of years again, then started hitting it again last fall. Since last fall I have dug 36 buttons, including 3 one piece military, and 8 coins, along with other relics.

U

umrgolf

As Josh used to say "give it a few days and the gnomes will plant some more goodies for us" :tongue3: sorry for puttin you on blast bud :laughing9: Sites are Never dry, Nice finds Steve :headbang:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always produce ! I would be tickled with those finds :icon_sunny: M.R.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve in PA said:
VOL1266-X said:
You are absolutely right Quindy and that is especially true on this site. The frost thaw cycle moves things a lot here in Pennsylvania. There is a lot of iron masking buttons and coins on this site. All it takes is for that small piece of iron to move a little bit in relation to the target, and now you can hear the target. I had wrote this site off 8 years ago when finds were petering out, then when I got my F75 it came back to life for a year and then petered out again. I let it sit for a couple of years again, then started hitting it again last fall. Since last fall I have dug 36 buttons, including 3 one piece military, and 8 coins, along with other relics.

I totally agree with you guys. I can't tell you how many of my old sites that were considered hunted out ended up producing again. Its awesome to go back to a site that was once very productive and hit hard, and all of a sudden signals are everywhere. Many of my best finds have been made this way. Also, new detectors, coils, settings, swinging from different directions, slowing down, etc, all help to bring those additional targets to life. The adage that a site is never hunted out is most definitely true based on my experience. Steve - you need to wait a couple of years then go back in there with a GPX-5000 and clean up. We'll be waiting on your post.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Steve , I hope you find more early military buttons . HH CMD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread