Recently found class ring returned to owner

jblank37

May 13, 2006
Recently Found Class Ring 7-15-06

I recently found this class ring at a public swimming area in central Arkansas. It is from a school in south central Arkansas with a date of 1975. Starting with all three initials, yesterday morning I call the school. They gave me 2 names with the first and last initials. They did not know the middle initial of either student. The lady that I was talking to at the school told me that she thought that the mother of one of these students still lived there in town. She looked in the phone book and gave me a number to call. I called and talked to the mother and found out that this was not the student the ring belonged to. I then called the lady back at the school to tell her that I thanked her for the help. When I told her that it was the wrong student she told me that she was glad that I called back because she thought that she may know someone that knew the sister of the other student. She gave me the phone number of a lady that owns a florist shop. I called this lady and she told me that yes, this student’s sister still lives here in town and she was quite sure that the student lived in Texas. She gave me the phone number of the sister and after trying off and on all day, I finally got in touch with her last night. I told her who I was and where I lived and that I was trying to get in touch with her brother. First, I asked her what her brother’s middle initial was. She told me and the initial matched the ring. I then asked her if she might know of anything he received from school and later lost. Her first words, “Oh my goodness, don’t tell me that you found his class ring”. I told her that I had found it metal detecting and after almost 32 years it looked like it was brand new. She told me that their mom and dad had bought it for him while he was still a junior in school. They bought it and he lost it a week later while swimming. She wanted to know if I wanted her to get in touch with him and have him call me. I told her, OK, if you promise not to tell him what it was about. I told her that I wanted to be the first to tell him. She then said, let me give you his phone number. She told me that he lived in the Dallas, Fort Worth area. I called right after talking to her hoping that he would be at home. He answered the phone. I told him who I was and where I lived. I then asked HIM if he had graduated in 1975 from this school and he told me that he did. I then asked him if he had ever lost anything that he had received from school. He told me that he had lost his class ring. I then told him that I think I have some good news for you. I told him that I believed that I had found his class ring. I asked him if he remembered where he lost it. He told me the very same place I had found it. He could not believe that I had found it after all these years. I don’t know who was thrilled the most, him or I. Him, knowing that he was getting his ring back or me knowing that I found the owner in just one day after all these years. I put it in the mail this morning and he suppose to receive it Monday or Tuesday.

Sorry this had to be so lengthy.

Friends, John

Attachments

• 1975classring.jpg
    1975classring.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 660
Upvote 0

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXCELLENT story!!! Was just the right length :).

As others have told me.... you did the right thing and the karma Gods will smile upon you :)

take care!

A

agbonanza

WTG!!! It's people like you that make this a wonderful hobby....HH

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Congrats on the great find and nice return.
This is so good to read and I am really happy for you.

Smiles!
BDoo

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job, John. That must have felt great to locate the owner and send it in the mail. :)

That means you're going to find something great in the next couple of weeks to replace it. Good luck!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think just the excitement of finding him, and telling him that you had found his ring, was reward enough.... I pray that many blessings will come your way.

God bless
Peter

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job!!!! One my goals is to tell a story like that too..Thanks for making this hobby a thrill....GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!!!

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a story that good is never to long .. very good Job .. keep it up

USTiger

O

Ole Mole

Great reunion story. For a minute I thought it was going to be a tear jerker when the girl said that her parents bought it for him and a week later....... :'( :'(

Well you can figure that part out.

Glad to hear a happy story all the same. :)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what it is all about!! Great job. :)

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W T G, John ! Great story with a great ending ! I once returned a wedding band that had been lost for about 45 years. It was a great feeling. Keep up the good work !

Huntin' 59er

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Great job! That's one of the reasons we put up with the mud, the bugs, the sweat, the
$%&@! pulltabs! Good luck, and keep searching!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alot of people take pride when they get there ring,means something...But when they lose it they feel like dirt..but when it's found they're glad it came back out of the dirt....Great job and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread