100 acres original land Natick, Mass

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I found out about this site, then moved out of the Northeast. Interested to know if anyone has detected it and also to provide this info to anyone who wishes to pursue it. This is a parcel donated to the town, has old carriage roads, unclear if detecting is allowed...here's what I found...

At the northern end, by Route 9, is a tablet about the forest. The land was donated by the wife of Henry Sargent Hunnewell in 1932 in recognition to beautify Natick. Known as the last, substantial piece of land in Natick held by Native Americans, it abuts the land occupied by the home of Captain William Farris, who was among the first English settlers of the town and may well have commanded Praying Indian troops in the mid-18th century.
(Article with more)
http://www.wickedlocal.com/natick/local_news/x1674154324#axzz1K4SfXLzJ

Upvote 0

Mercy

Apr 14, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
DFX
I used to live near that area, but moved some 20 years ago. Now that I think about it that place would probably be a gold mine! Natick has alot of places that would be fantastic to detect, especially south Natick.

Ray D

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just be very sure you are not digging at Cochituate State Park, I was a supervisor there for 2 years and the park is not advertised as but is an old Indian Burial Ground. Even the park staff cannot dig there without an anthropologist and a member of the Natick Praying Indians Tribe present.

Mercy

Apr 14, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
DFX
No it is not that park, this place used to be owned by the church and was a HUGE monistary type place. Many of the buildings have crumbled over the years but it used to be quite the place, very old.

Kneo

Greenie
Sep 26, 2011
Leominster, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will go, however, it is likely that area has been searched as the Massachusetts Metal Detecting Club is not far from there - and it's a very active club. I used to go all over with them.

Anyways, if there is any interest contact me and I will plan to go as soon as the ground thaws out a bit.

KevinM

Oct 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I am new to detecting and saw your post. The link is no longer active. Where is this place?

Thanks!
Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread