1854 gold California 1/4 piece coin

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
Cleared out a storage unit for a family member .
Found what looks like a 1854 California gold 1/4 piece . Any info or maybe even a value would be nice on it so i can get the right amount to my family member . Thanks
5642245996_25d12dd38d_z.jpg

5642245990_22df03d8e4_z.jpg

5642245974_ec5b86f1ee_z.jpg

Upvote 0

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shame about that crack in the coin... :(

But, check out this site and you can probably find some type of valuation... http://www.calgoldonline.com/

With that crack, though, it will have to be a very rare variety to have any value more than melt...least thats my first thought on it...

But, I have been wrong before :icon_sunny:

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
:headbang: I don't know anything about coins, but that sure is cool. Hope it's the real deal.
I would imagine that if indeed it's the real deal, it has to be worth more than just melt value because of early date in california.. california only became a state in 1850 so ....

RHoward

Mar 1, 2008
Martin City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTA1000, Money Hunter BFO, Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer
It most likely is a replica coin. Any fractional gold coin with the bear on the back was a replica as far as I know. Replicas were made from brass or gold. If it is gold it is the value of meltdown price.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking closely at the cracks by the bear it looks like the metal is a different color inside... I could be seeing things, but it looks to be plated.....hope I'm wrong, but just my 2 cents....

MinelabSwinger

May 17, 2009
RHoward said:
It most likely is a replica coin. Any fractional gold coin with the bear on the back was a replica as far as I know. Replicas were made from brass or gold. If it is gold it is the value of meltdown price.
You are 100% correct. If it has a bear on the back it is a copy coin. They made the copy's in both gold and gold plated. It is still a very cool coin. I found one a while back.... It is amazing how small the coin really is. Sneeze and it will disappear!
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread