Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Oct 2010
    land o lakes fl
    1 times

1854 gold California 1/4 piece coin

Cleared out a storage unit for a family member .
    Found what looks like a 1854 California gold 1/4 piece . Any info or maybe even a value would be nice on it so i can get the right amount to my family member . Thanks

us
    Apr 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: 1854 gold California 1/4 piece coin

Shame about that crack in the coin...

But, check out this site and you can probably find some type of valuation... http://www.calgoldonline.com/

With that crack, though, it will have to be a very rare variety to have any value more than melt...least thats my first thought on it...

But, I have been wrong before
    Live each day as if it were your last.  Soak in and seek love and light and shine it upon everyone who will accept it.  Value your true friends like gold as they are more rare and valuable than you may ever know.  Live in integrity with all men.

us
    Aug 2010
    San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
    tracker iv
    10 times

I don't know anything about coins, but that sure is cool. Hope it's the real deal.
    I would imagine that if indeed it's the real deal, it has to be worth more than just melt value because of early date in california.. california only became a state in 1850 so ....
    Thanks, Scott~Sgvalleyman.

us
    Oct 2010
    land o lakes fl
    1 times

considering its almost a flake of gold im surprised its not more damaged lol

Mar 2008
    Martin City, Montana
    Garrett-GTA1000, Money Hunter BFO, Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer

It most likely is a replica coin. Any fractional gold coin with the bear on the back was a replica as far as I know. Replicas were made from brass or gold. If it is gold it is the value of meltdown price.
    Detecting since 1962 all dimes were silver then!!

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    786 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

looking closely at the cracks by the bear it looks like the metal is a different color inside... I could be seeing things, but it looks to be plated.....hope I'm wrong, but just my 2 cents....
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    May 2009

Quote Originally Posted by RHoward
    It most likely is a replica coin. Any fractional gold coin with the bear on the back was a replica as far as I know. Replicas were made from brass or gold. If it is gold it is the value of meltdown price.
    You are 100% correct. If it has a bear on the back it is a copy coin. They made the copy's in both gold and gold plated. It is still a very cool coin. I found one a while back.... It is amazing how small the coin really is. Sneeze and it will disappear!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors