Went back to my new field today (BEAUTIFUL 1820s Riflemans Militia Button!)

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to my new field today (BEAUTIFUL 1820's Rifleman's Militia Button!)

What can I say... my new field is really exceeding my expectations. The trash to keeper ratio is about 25 to 1 but as you can see it's really worth the work! :hello2:

It wasn't as hot today and I got a lot of smug looks from the groundhogs. It won't be long before I start digging my own home out there! :occasion14:

I can only imagine what went on in this field so long ago... and I have only scratched the surface! :thumbsup:

...and I have also scratched my arm. I have no idea but I have poison ivy and the only place I was, was digging in the field.

Notice the 2 CENT PIECE. My first. There is something VERY strange about it... Neil and fir69 seem to think it might be some kind of plaster from an attempt to counterfeit. On the original coins surface, there is remnants of some kind of plaster. You can make out the coins high points through it. Note, this coin was found in fine sand and like everything else found in this field, is well preserved. This leads me to believe that the coin was lost in this condition. Anyone have any ideas?

Also notice the early Marines button. It's a 2 piece that is missing it's backpiece, and it's damaged.

More to come for sure... HH!

BUTTON ORIGIN: William Wood & Company, ca 1830 from Philadelphia, not British if same one (most likely) b/m Wm. WOOD & CO [Address : Wood Wm. & co. Dry Good Merch’s, 65 High St, Philadelphia, PA]

It is a RF25, Wood was probably a clothier/retailer who had his name put on the back of the button, which was a common practice then. Button most likely made by Armitage around 1826 or his successor William Pinchin.

Thanks to Don for the Information!

CW-Field-First-Hunt.jpg

Riflemans-Button-Back-large.jpg

April-Finds-Group-Shot-2.jpg

CW-Field-First-Hunt.jpg

Below are finds from the same field, the day before. A button is a Horstmann.
Riflemans-Button-Back.jpg

Attachments

• Federal-Riflemans-Button-Before-and-After.jpg
    Federal-Riflemans-Button-Before-and-After.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 865
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: So this is what a virgin CW field is like! (BEAUTIFUL Rifleman's Button!)

I love that button! It is definitely banner worthy!

Awesome dude!

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks guys, I think it's my best button yet.

U

umrgolf

It seems that you are onto a great site, Elad :thumbsup: Artillery, 1820's Rifleman's, and also 1850's Marine's buttons (which is another great find) Since the Rifleman's button is quite a bit older than the other two, I'd think you're on a spot that was camped for several years. I'm looking forward to future posts :headbang: I'll 2nd the banner nod on that Rifleman's, its a beauty

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

umrgolf said:
It seems that you are onto a great site, Elad :thumbsup: Artillery, 1820's Rifleman's, and also 1850's Marine's buttons (which is another great find) Since the Rifleman's button is quite a bit older than the other two, I'd think you're on a spot that was camped for several years. I'm looking forward to future posts :headbang: I'll 2nd the banner nod on that Rifleman's, its a beauty

Thanks!! I've been struggling for a banner find for a long long time.

phifly04

Feb 13, 2011
Millsboro,De.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID/w Mods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful find and she sure did clean up nice! :icon_thumright:
continued success and HH
Dave

F

Felinepeachy

Re: So this is what a virgin field is like! (BEAUTIFUL 1820's Rifleman's Button!)

OMG that is a fantastic button!!!!!!!!! Congrats on a great find! I can't wait to see what else you find.

Cherna-cat.gif

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Went back to my new field today (BEAUTIFUL 1820's Rifleman's Militia Button!)

Felinepeachy said:
OMG that is a fantastic button!!!!!!!!! Congrats on a great find! I can't wait to see what else you find.

Cherna-cat.gif

Thank you! I can't stop looking at it! lol

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Went back to my new field today (BEAUTIFUL 1820's Rifleman's Militia Button!)

phifly04 said:
Beautiful find and she sure did clean up nice! :icon_thumright:
continued success and HH
Dave

It sure did! As soon as I popped it out of the ground I knew I had something amazing in my hand...

U

umrgolf

Elad said:
umrgolf said:

That's good, I like the competitive nature :icon_pirat: Hope you make it, I've seen some Rifleman's buttons posted from this era, just not this variant.. it would look nice up there

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

umrgolf said:
Elad said:
umrgolf said:

That's good, I like the competitive nature :icon_pirat: Hope you make it, I've seen some Rifleman's buttons posted from this era, just not this variant.. it would look nice up there

I wasn't even thinking banner with this button... it won't kill me if it doesn't make it (not too much anyways...)

I can't wait to see what else this field spits out. It's a shame the Marines button is so damaged.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I have been struggling with the backmark on the rifleman button. It looks like Albert's RF 25, but according to Albert, It should read "Armitage/Phila". Hmmm. Can you read the backmark on yours?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

See, you have a fine spot going here. There's definitely generations of relics at this site with the potential to produce some very very nice finds. The Riflemen's button looks alot like [Tice's RM181] with the thick symmetrical border.Great finds! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

That is one NICE button :o
have dug 2 of these, but nothing like yours...
Luvitt ! :hello2:
Here's another vote, Lets get that Bugle up top :help:

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Neil in West Jersey said:
I have been struggling with the backmark on the rifleman button. It looks like Albert's RF 25, but according to Albert, It should read "Armitage/Phila". Hmmm. Can you read the backmark on yours?

The backmark is really worn down... it's really hard to make anything out.as soon as I get my lazy butt out of bed I will try and make sense of it. Where are some good examples to look at?

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

{Sentinel} said:
See, you have a fine spot going here. There's definitely generations of relics at this site with the potential to produce some very very nice finds. The Riflemen's button looks alot like [Tice's RM181] with the thick symmetrical border. Great finds! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

At first I thought the button was civil war era, but to learn that it was older was a pleasant surprise!

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

steelheadwill said:
That is one NICE button :o
have dug 2 of these, but nothing like yours...
Luvitt ! :hello2:
Here's another vote, Lets get that Bugle up top :help:

Thanks! Love the gargoyle... did you dig that??

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Elad said:
umrgolf said:

HA That makes 2 of us!
Sweet buttons my friend! Ill push the banner button as well!

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jamesbibb said:
Elad said:
umrgolf said:

HA That makes 2 of us!
Sweet buttons my friend! Ill push the banner button as well!

Thanks! It's hard to sit by and watch as your friends all find amazing stuff and make the banner while you are left sitting on the sidelines. Appreciate the vote! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread