Followup hunt at GW medal site

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since we had a very cool April day yesterday I decided to hike back one more time to the homestead where on the last hunt I found the GW medal and a NJ copper. I expanded my area this time, and again noticed no diggable readings in the open areas, seems to indicate to me that someone else years earlier is as dedicated as I am on finding the tucked away in the middle of nowhere sites, or else just weird that the open areas only had normal background iron hits.

So, back into the greenbriar jungle I went and even though it was not a great hunt at all, I did have fun cutting greenbriar to move, dig, free my detector up ::)

My first find was a broken Tombac, again another indication of the occupation period of the site. Next I got a pewter spoon handle in the typical rotted condition, then a hunk of thick pewter, and a jagged piece of copper. All of these finds were very close to where the GW medal and NJ were found.
GWsitefinds.jpg
Next to the base of an oak tree, I did find this whatisit, I thought at first it was a modern arrow tip, but once I got home, cleaned it, I realized it is made of lead, sort of cone shape, like the end of a cane, but had wood inside of it. Not very big, so not sure what it is, but the diameter is arrow size. UPDATE: Goldencoin in a reply has correctly ID'd this piece as a Ramrod end, which after looking up in one of my books, seems to be a positive ID. I measured the widest diameter and it averages out to 12.5mm or just about half inch.(for a 50 cal perhaps)
Unksideview.jpg
Unkbottom.jpg
Finally I got my best find of the day, nothing to write home about, but it is a great condition blowhole button.
Blowholebutton from GW site.jpg
Without a doubt I am done with this site for the season, but will keep it in mind for next fall/winter, since I have a feeling there is another good coin or relic or two hiding in that briar....

Don

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got it all first time :icon_thumright:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mystery item might be a ramrod tip, great finds!

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldencoin said:

HH
-GC

GC, I believe you are 100% correct, I just looked in my Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution book and I think we got a match!! OK, two decent finds now on the hunt. :D

Don

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
goldencoin said:

HH
-GC

GC, I believe you are 100% correct, I just looked in my Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution book and I think we got a match!! OK, two decent finds now on the hunt. :D

Don

Nice going on the ID. Pretty cool find. I have a few scattered ramrod channels but I wonder if I ever overlooked one of the tips as junk.

I consider any day when I find even only a few nice buttons a success.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Don, I love the blowhole button and the ramrod end.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a very interesting button! :o Never seen a button like that before!
Congrats on getting an ID on the ramrod tip! :icon_thumright:

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread