Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out of work a bit early today, so I went the long way home... :laughing7: I stopped by a new cellar hole I recently received permission to hunt. I haven't spent much time here at all and there is still alot of area to check. Today was cool...I focused all my attention in the back yard section of the cellar hole....Here are my finds. The shoe buckle is probably the most ornate I have found (and just about complete) The Draped Bust looks to be in awesome shape...I don't think I'll clean it. And the normal plethora of buttons...a ball button was a pleasant suprise...Alot of targets....One thing I forgot to drag in the house was a neat little colonial door knob...solid brass rang out loudly. Thanks for lookin!

Attachments

• IMG_6103.jpg
    IMG_6103.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_6160.JPG
    IMG_6160.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_6179.JPG
    IMG_6179.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 443
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sweet Shoe Buckle and Draped Bust Large Cent

umrgolf said:
well done Sniffy! stunning buckle
;D

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Sweet Shoe Buckle and Draped Bust Large Cent

Nice buckle...congrats! :thumbsup:
H

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't see those 'Open floral?' style buckles often, especially intact :o
I got some broken pieces of one, Yours is a stunner.
Nice solid Cent, beautiful. Congrats !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found tons of broken examples but none whole :o As its pewter be careful it doesn't dry & turn to dust.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Found tons of broken examples but none whole :o As its pewter be careful it doesn't dry & turn to dust.

yep 100% of that has to be treated to be preserved or it will fall apart.

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that buckle is amazing. I have yet to find anything like it. Love the copper and buttons too. I think if you go back you'll find more. HH! 8)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, yes that buckle if pewter will need to be preserved, the sooner the better.......The 1806 Draped Bust is a nice one, and it is a 1806 S-270, not an overdate at all, the Reverse of the 7/6 varieties of 1807 have a different reverse. Your reverse matches the S-270 so an 1806 it will be. There was only one variety for that year, but that actually makes it a desireable year for collectors since there is only one variety, so thus more demand for the coin since most collections are by year first, variety second........

Glad to see your "nice condition" Conn copper also on the later post! :)

Don

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

What would be the best way to treat this shoe buckle?

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice buckle sniff, do as the experts say, there's nothing like dust.
Your having another kick azzzzzz spring.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Don in SJ said:
WTG, yes that buckle if pewter will need to be preserved, the sooner the better.......The 1806 Draped Bust is a nice one, and it is a 1806 S-270, not an overdate at all, the Reverse of the 7/6 varieties of 1807 have a different reverse. Your reverse matches the S-270 so an 1806 it will be. There was only one variety for that year, but that actually makes it a desireable year for collectors since there is only one variety, so thus more demand for the coin since most collections are by year first, variety second........

Glad to see your "nice condition" Conn copper also on the later post! :)

Don
Can confirm. Sheldon would have been happy to see this one, I think.<G>

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffy said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Micro-crystalline Wax (Renaissance) - Ask IP how he coats it, I generally only put it on dry & buff it off, this will not be good enough for this buckle (it will need to be soaked in heated wax). It will leave a shinny coat on the outside (but look better than a hand full of dust), its a British Museum quality wax which can always be taken off later with spirits. BE QUICK

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Micro-crystalline Wax (Renaissance) - Ask IP how he coats it, I generally only put it on dry & buff it off, this will not be good enough for this buckle (it will need to be soaked in heated wax). It will leave a shinny coat on the outside (but look better than a hand full of dust), its a British Museum quality wax which can always be taken off later with spirits. BE QUICK

Will pewter hold up to heated wax? I'd make sure on that one.

I would do a clear lacquer coat and quickly wipe to jeep it thin and as less shine as possible. Then once dry I'd probably repeat on the iron to make sure I got it good. After that it would just be a matter of checking it every few months to make sure there's no further rust spreading, or pewter flaking. I'd feel better about lacquer sealing it than wax.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

I would do a clear lacquer coat and quickly wipe to jeep it thin and as less shine as possible. Then once dry I'd probably repeat on the iron to make sure I got it good. After that it would just be a matter of checking it every few months to make sure there's no further rust spreading, or pewter flaking. I'd feel better about lacquer sealing it than wax.

Only warm not boiling, I think both methods would be fine, but go with yours :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Only warm not boiling, I think both methods would be fine, but go with yours :icon_thumright:

Just warm I don't think would change the effect much. What I wrote is just what I would do, and I don't really have a "way" because a buckle like that would never survive here for me to to find it. (and treat it) It is too bad it has to be coated with something but there's not much choice.

I would prefer the look of wax, and I guess if you kept an eye on it, that might be ok.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread