1874? Vintage Longines Pocket Watch

bsktbllsam

Apr 16, 2011
My mother recently gave me a sterling silver Longines pocket watch that was originally owned by her grandfather. The serial number is 95198 which is matching on the movement and case. This would indicate that this watch was made in 1874, however I emailed someone I found on craigslist who buys watches and he said it was most likely made after that so I'm not sure. As you can see it is in terrible condition. I would love for someone to own it who would actually appreciate it and possibly fix it up. I have no idea the value or how much it would cost to fix, and would like if someone could point me in the right direction. I have posted this in the watchuseek forums and although quite a few people have viewed it nobody had info or were interested in purchasing it. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• longines1.jpg
    longines1.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,716
  • longines2.jpg
    longines2.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,525
  • longines3.jpg
    longines3.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 846
  • longines4.jpg
    longines4.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 871
  • bertstare.jpg
    bertstare.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 4,200
Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please reconsider selling it. Or if you must, sell it to another descendent of your great grandfather. Having something in the family for 4 generations, whatever the condition, is priceless.
Just my sentimental opinion. :icon_sunny:
Tigger

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just my opinion but for whatever some stranger will give you, you may feel better in the future if you save it. I inherited a gold (gilded) Elgin pocket watch that belonged to my grandfather's aunt. She had purchased it new in 1891. I found a website that allows you to plug in the serial number and it gives you the history on the watch movement. It didn't work when I received it so I had it repaired.

I have sold a few things that were given to me by family members....to be honest I still feel guilty about it. At least it's something small that doesn't take up much space.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread