Gold ring/silver ring/indian/large cent/and buttons and more alot more!!

etracjoe

Greenie
Nov 19, 2009
The weekend before Easter my buddy called me up and told me he was in the dog house for losing his wedding band. He wanted to know what it would cost to buy a detector. I told him what the etrac cost and he about died. But I told him not necessary for him to purchase one because I would find it for him. He told me it was out in his mothers pasture. So I came right over and we waisted no time he took me out into the field. This is when he told me he lost it a week ago and he was not even sure where. But I had this huge sense of confidence in me that day and jokingly told him I would find it in less than 10 minutes. 8 minutes later I was holding a large gold band in the palm of my hand and my buddy was ecstatic!! He was literally in shock. It was under about 3 inches of water and a clod of mud from his tractor tire. Then he told me with all my confidence that he just knew I would find it for him. I told him I have faith in minelab, and that is where the confidence comes from.
So here my buddy is trying to hand me $50 dollars for finding his ring and I said your out of your mind Pete(his name is Pete). I told him I would be more than happy to spend the rest of the day detecting his mom's property. Pete said anytime you want. At this point Pete still thinks I'm not all there for not taking the 50 bucks. So I again jokingly say to Pete I'll have you a large cent the next time I see you. And I will be damned but 2 minutes later I walk over to Pete with a large green disc in my hand Neither Pete nor I could believe that luck!!
After finding that largie I made a few more passes across the field with not much luck other than a few shell brass and some beer cans that were deep. So I walk back over to Pete and ask if its OK to swing around the house and lawn and he said don't see why not. Now over by the house seems very junky almost like someone tossed a billion nails everywhere. But this where TTF comes in handy. I was popping targets every minute it seemed. I spent the rest of the day on my hands and knees. I literally did not have to get up hardly at all to move to the next target!!! In 3 hours I dug 5 buttons, 6 crotal bells, 2 strap buckles 1 Indian 1906, 1 smooth silver dime?? 1 beautiful Cuban 10 centavos 1915, unknown large cent, a 1925 licensed chauffeur tag from the Henry Moss Co. Brooklyn NY, and from what I am told a 1880-1890 silver Egyptian scarab filigree ring. Oh and I can't forget about Pete's gold band.This is best day I ever had detecting.
The NYC taxi tag is pretty cool but the best is the Egyptian ring. If you look close in the pics you can see hieroglyphics on the back of the stone. Shame it is broke but I am going to bring it to a jeweler for a fixin if its worth it. After all that good stuff I found for one day I told Pete ya know Pete you can lose that ring every day and you still wouldn't have to pay me. And I think it was then that Pete understood why. And he realized I was more happy to find all this cool stuff and junk for that matter than to accept any pay. HH Etracjoe

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 963
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 953
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 960
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 931
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 932
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 945
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 943
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 929
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 935
Upvote 0

Hasse

Apr 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500 com treasure Hound eagle eye / Ace 250 / Magnet Cobra Beach
Congratulations!
His friend was very happy. His wife did not fight with him! :laughing9:
Good find! :icon_thumright:
Much luck to you!

Hasse

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I will bet the ring dates from the early 30's after KIng Tut came to NYC. Egyptian was really big back then, as was this kind of thing. Authenticity was important and cool.

I don't know what size your scarab is, but we purchased one at the British Museum years ago, and I know that they are sold at a number of the rock and gem shows that I frequent. Not as nice as yours, but a working replacement if you want. Made out of topaz, tiger eye, quartz and a number of other stones. I am going to the Las Vegas show at the end of May and can pick one up for you, if you want. You need the measure the stone in mm (like 10x8) near the base of the stone . The hard part is getting the stone back into the bezel setting without messing the setting up. Probably everything else can be repaired. A slightly smaller "uncalibrated" stone would be perfect. Cost for stone: probably under $20, could be less depending on the stone and size. You can bring new life to your treasure! For best measuring, it would be better if you eased the stone out. You will want to glue the pieces back together. If you want to keep the old stone, put a bunch of super glue or expoy on the back without taking it out of the ring. Yes, you will loose the cute bird and all, but it may hold the stone together for a while. One other thing--if the ring needs soldering, odds are the stone won't survive. So, your decision on what to do with this depends on a lot of situations. PS---looking back, I can't see the broken stone (which doesn't mean much), but the ring will need soldering. Good luck with the restoration.

Man, it feels great to be somewhat of an expert on something for a change, instead of always parasiting information. "What goes around will eventually come around, with an equal and opposite reaction.-----Johnny Fairplay"

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a Spanish Reale there in the mix as well?
Nice finds,
HB

OP
OP
E

etracjoe

Greenie
Nov 19, 2009
Thank you High plaind for the info. I really hope it can be fixed without much trouble and $$. I do believe your right about the time frame but my wife found one some where on the web that was almost identical and was stated 1880's-1890's. But you cannot always trust every source. Just look at wikipedia. I'm just glad to have saved it. And it will always be worth something to me. Also I thought the same thing Hill Billy but too far worn to tell. I was really hoping for seated or bust........next time.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds , it would be cool if you could find the person the chauffeur license belong to .

OP
OP
E

etracjoe

Greenie
Nov 19, 2009
Ok silver disc is definately silver dime. Lol knew it was but just had to check. Do I win a prize for worst condition ever?? I'm not kidding....... do I? :laughing7: Well anyway the silver scarab ring is at the jeweler. He said the appraisor will be in next week. He said the appraisor might even let me know if it is worth appraising. If that makes sense. It could cost a fat $85. Cost of fixing it would be $100 So he said he can make it into a pendant for $30 and that includes cleaning it. I think I will go that route because I dont think it is worth much myself but would be really cool as a pendant. When all said and done I will repost before and afters.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
etracjoe said:
Ok silver disc is definately silver dime. Lol knew it was but just had to check. Do I win a prize for worst condition ever?? I'm not kidding....... do I? :laughing7: Well anyway the silver scarab ring is at the jeweler. He said the appraisor will be in next week. He said the appraisor might even let me know if it is worth appraising. If that makes sense. It could cost a fat $85. Cost of fixing it would be $100 So he said he can make it into a pendant for $30 and that includes cleaning it. I think I will go that route because I dont think it is worth much myself but would be really cool as a pendant. When all said and done I will repost before and afters.

Actually, if he can keep the back open, it would make a better pendant than a ring, in my opinion. It's definitely cool to see both sides of that stone. And what a great memento of a terrific day!!!
tigger

OP
OP
E

etracjoe

Greenie
Nov 19, 2009
Man your spot on.....that is exactly my thoughts. Even if never gets worn would still like to look in my treasure box at something that is not mangled.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Making a pendant is a great idea, and it is easy. All he does is bend the shank around to make it have a proper bail. It usually comes out great. I have converted several, mostly because they were too worn thin to be functional as a ring. I would like to see more of the stone. Good luck on having a great conversation piece of jewelry, and I hope you have a lovely "spokes model" to wear it for you.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
awesome hunt.. congrats on finding the ring and the scarab is spectacular! :hello2:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite often those scarab rings were made from actual ancient Egyptian relics...so don't be surprised if that stone is a few thousand years old! :icon_thumright:

Try deciphering the hieroglyphics...

OP
OP
E

etracjoe

Greenie
Nov 19, 2009
Thanks guys and gals......really hoping to get out to a new spot this week. This new spot is more promising then any other to date. Alot of political happening there during the revolution and also a very prominent family from the area that has been in the family since before the revolution. I believe I will be the first to scan a coil across their soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread