Another VMM Buckle sees the light of day!

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
Yesterday after doing all of my yard chores, I was able to head over and detect a spot that has been giving up some bullets and smaller items. After arriving, I could see that the creek had washed a big section of the bank expossing fresh soil. I hit the spot and recovered a few 3-ringers. I then got a signal on the Etrac in the 12 conductivity range. As I pin-pointed the signal I thought to myself, BIG similar to an aluminium can. I dug with anticipation of another can weighing down my pouch.

After a several inches of digging I popped out this corroded white looking thing. It was bent in half and unrecognizable. I flatten it out to remove the dirt and saw the letters VM. Now that got my attention! I restrained from cleaning it anymore and later washed it off. Revealling the "VMM" for the Volunteer Maine Millitia. I'm unsure if this is a belt buckle or if it came off of a cartridge box plate.

But all in all a great find.

Attachments

• VMM.jpg
    VMM.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 518
  • VMMback.jpg
    VMMback.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 524
Upvote 0

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
Re: Another Buckle sees the light of day!

Poptopagain said:
Yesterday after doing all of my yard chores, I was able to head over and detect a spot that has been giving up some bullets and smaller items. After arriving, I could see that the creek had washed a big section of the bank expossing fresh soil. I hit the spot and recovered a few 3-ringers. I then got a signal on the Etrac in the 12 conductivity range. As I pin-pointed the signal I thought to myself, BIG similar to an aluminium can. I dug with anticipation of another can weighing down my pouch.

After a several inches of digging I popped out this corroded white looking thing. It was bent in half and unrecognizable. I flatten it out to remove the dirt and saw the letters VM. Now that got my attention! I restrained from cleaning it anymore and later washed it off. Revealling the "VMM" for the Volunteer Maine Millitia. I'm unsure if this is a belt buckle or if it came off of a cartridge box plate.

Nice find, cartridge box "skin" lead back and atachment is gone, many years ago a friend of mine
found several of these in the Anapolis region when they were excavating for a new shopping center

TFCK

But all in all a great find

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great find Mike. Now all you need is a confederate buckle to go with your others.

cwhunter_1

Feb 2, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab se pro, white oldy, tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice plate, even bent looks good... The Box plates are larger than the Buckles, so maybe you can find one to compare it to.

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great find !

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's Mike....I'd love to have that bad boy for the collection. Great Dig :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread