CW plate #3 and colonial brass..in east Tenn!!!!!!!!!

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went south again this past weekend to get back onto the site that produced my US buckle last weekend. My dad could not join me as he was busy doing his CW re-enacting thing and I sure wish he could have been with me for the hunts Sat and Sun. I dunno what has prompted this hot streak I am on, but ever since I got my Teknetics G2 ,my relic finds have been amazing. All these finds have been from 1"to about 7-8" down so I know most other detectors would hit them too, but somebody up above must be looking down on this ole relic hunter...anyways, on to this weekend. My last trip down to the site we secured permission from an adjacent landowner to hunt his property. The first three hours produced only a couple of roundballs and then I got a loud signal reading in the low 80's. My 3rd US plate in the last 1 & 1/2 months!!!!!!! I went back on Sunday and could only hunt for 2 hours but found something I have always dreamed of finding but never thought I would hunting here in the midwest....a colonial shoe buckle!!!!!!!! @ feet away from it I dug a large brass ? trigger guard? I dunno guys, need help with the ID, but I feel it is colonial era too. Finished the day with a couple of minies and a Burnside carbine and what appears to be a fairly modern brass heart disc. Speaking with the landowner he told me that the house dates to 1797. I gotta feeling that this spot is going to produce some awesome finds as the property is huge. Now if I can just keep those darned cows away!!!!! HH'ing all!

Attachments

• plate3.JPG
    plate3.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,112
  • plate3-1.JPG
    plate3-1.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 1,111
  • sat apr 30.JPG
    sat apr 30.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,096
  • curious onlookers.JPG
    curious onlookers.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,083
  • great weekend.JPG
    great weekend.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,083
  • trigger guard2.JPG
    trigger guard2.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,093
  • trigger guard1.JPG
    trigger guard1.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,101
  • shoe buckle2.JPG
    shoe buckle2.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,094
  • shoe buckle1.JPG
    shoe buckle1.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,092
Upvote 0

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds. I know about those cows here in east Tennessee. I was hunting a pasture a couple months ago finding a lot of flat buttons and the cows were excited about as much as I was.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a great day!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
sekypaleo

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Anybody have ideas on the large brass piece? When I first saw it in the ground I thought I had a spur. It does resemble a trigger guard but it's way bigger than any trigger guard I have seen...maybe a sword guard??? This site has a ton of potential and the good news is that there is a huge herd of Black Angus cattle on the property and they will keep the grass low..the bad news is there is a huge herd of Black Angus cattle in there! I was chased at one point away from the spot where I found the shoe buckle!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill, you are on a roll that most relic hunters dream about but never experience. Great recoveries. I see a magazine article in your future as you sure deserve to share your experiences with other hunters.
I have an idea. Dman will meet you and your Dad at that site In East TN. You and I can use our F75/G2 to hunt and your Dad and Dman can keep the cows entertained-LOL. Super finds Bud, Quindy.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Sweet US plate and a real nice completely intact shoe buckle! The shoe buckle is a style that is probably fairly early for your area - 1750s to 1770s. Your large brass item might be part of a brass stirrup.

OP
OP
sekypaleo

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Bill, you are on a roll that most relic hunters dream about but never experience. Great recoveries. I see a magazine article in your future as you sure deserve to share your experiences with other hunters.
I have an idea. Dman will meet you and your Dad at that site In East TN. You and I can use our F75/G2 to hunt and your Dad and Dman can keep the cows entertained-LOL. Super finds Bud, Quindy.
LOL!! My dad HATES detecting around cattle...as he says it "those Black Angus are mean!" I was caught in a stampede by a herd of cattle on property on the Richmond, Ky battlefield many years ago...also watched a friend of mine digging a signal in a pasture in East Tenn and a bull came charging at him...he didn't even know it was coming at him...I had yell "Terry...RUN!!!!!!"...ahhhh good times!

OP
OP
sekypaleo

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Very nice finds! Sweet US plate and a real nice completely intact shoe buckle! The shoe buckle is a style that is probably fairly early for your area - 1750s to 1770s. Your large brass item might be part of a brass stirrup.
Thanks for the info Steve. Really the shoe buckle is that early? WOW! I am totally pumped about finding it. I guess for diggers in the North East it might not be that big of a deal....but in my neck of the woods you just don't see them come out of the ground. Do you have a pic of what type of stirrup the one piece may have come off of???

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that awesome plate and buckle. :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Dig's My Man !!!! Great great save,nice to see when another one turn's up :headbang:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEEEEET FINDS. I HAVE SPENT DAYS ON AN OLD CSA CAMP AND NOT SEEN ANYTHING THAT
HOLDS A CANDLE TO THAT.
FANTASTIC!! :headbang:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now those are some beautiful relics. :o
Congrats on the CW plate. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sekypaleo said:
Steve in PA said:
Thanks for the info Steve. Really the shoe buckle is that early? WOW! I am totally pumped about finding it. I guess for diggers in the North East it might not be that big of a deal....but in my neck of the woods you just don't see them come out of the ground. Do you have a pic of what type of stirrup the one piece may have come off of???

Regarding the shoe buckle, the mid 18th century buckles had narrower frame width and the pin terminals went all the way across the width of the frame. The late 18th century buckles had a frame with a wider width and the pin teminal was just a little ear cast into the frame. Attached is a diagram from "The Archaeological Investigation of Fort Ligonier" that illustrates this. I am guessing that the other piece might be from a brass stirrup based on the contour of the piece and how it widens and opens to what is usually an oval opening at the bottom of the stirrup.

Attachments

• Shoe buckles.jpg
    Shoe buckles.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 830
  • Shoe buckles.jpg
    Shoe buckles.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 828

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Those are great finds. Congrats on the buckle.
Dman

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! The plate is great but the buckle is the find of the hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread