Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greetings Friends! :hello:

I've had my eye on this location for the past year, ever since the old church was torn down. The church that I remember standing here was built in 1863. This was the third church and the last one to stand at this location since 1848. The first church was built of logs in 1838 and was built a short distance down the road. There were a number of out buildings that stood just east of the second church, though they were long gone by the time I moved to the area. The red brick 1863 church was demolished in December 2010.

I started by finding a lot of heavy ferrous iron, like the wood burning stove leg and part of a metal plate . . . possibly from the same stove! :icon_scratch: Lots of square nails, pieces of an English porcelain cup and an old horse shoe with 8 or 9 nails still attached to it! My favourite find on this short 2 hour hunt . . . you guessed it . . . the 1959 Coca-Cola bottle. It cleaned up really nice too! :o

Thanks very much for looking and best of luck to all on your hunts! :thumbsup:

Kedron Church Site

This was the third church built to serve the spiritual and social needs of this community over a period of 164 years. This is how Kedron's first church, built in 1838, may have looked . . .

In 1863, the third church was built on the corner across the road, a very fine red brick building for that time. We know the size and shape of this church building because it is still there. (As of 2008 anyway) What did the inside of this church look like? It had only one room, with a wood burning stove as you entered at the south end. Stove pipes stretched along the ceiling to a chimney at the other end of the church, throwing out heat all the way.

Along the north side of the churchyard was an open shed where horses could be stabled.
The enclosed shed built at right angles to this shed was a major improvement added in 1919.

Attachments

• Kedron Picture01.jpg
    Kedron Picture01.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Kedron Picture03.jpg
    Kedron Picture03.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Kedron Church Site01.jpg
    Kedron Church Site01.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Kedron Church Site03.jpg
    Kedron Church Site03.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Detecting_May04 001.jpg
    Detecting_May04 001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Detecting_May04 002.jpg
    Detecting_May04 002.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Detecting_May04 003.jpg
    Detecting_May04 003.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Detecting_May04 004.jpg
    Detecting_May04 004.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Kedron Church04.jpg
    Kedron Church04.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 419
  • Kedron Church07.jpg
    Kedron Church07.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 416
  • Kedron Church06.jpg
    Kedron Church06.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 426
Upvote 0

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil
Re: Finds from the 1848 Church Site

Very good research, and it looks like you're finding some goodies.

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz

Hi Antiquarian,
Nice finds there, research almost pay of every time, are you finished with the site or can we look forward to more?

I love the Coca-Cola bottle, as you said very nice condition!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Your research is going to pay off in a big way.
We both got those George VIs the other day, Today we both get Cola bottles.
(Mines a 'Pepsi')
I got a feeling you will hit that jackpot before long!
Best Digs! :hello:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

sfinder said:
Very good research, and it looks like you're finding some goodies.

Thank you very much sfinder! :thumbsup: The hunt has just begun, will post any further interesting finds . . . no more horse shoes I promise! :laughing7:

Dave

The Swed Hunther said:
Hi Antiquarian,
Nice finds there, research almost pay of every time, are you finished with the site or can we look forward to more?

I love the Coca-Cola bottle, as you said very nice condition!

Greetings Swed Hunther :hello:

I had quite a bit of time to research this site prior to getting permission from the current owner. I am under pressure to get this site done because to property is scheduled for commercial development later this year. The only are that I've hunted so far, you can see it in the second picture of the church with the wooden building attachment on the rightside. I've only hunted in that "rightside" area so far. I have a feel that most of the communities functions took place in the area in front of the church, which is where I'll be hunting next.

Here's a bit of information about some of the events that took place at the church over the past 150 years. I know Canada isn't near as old as Sweden, but we're proud of the history we do have.

"Now let us consider the other structures in the picture and in the model. Along the north side of the churchyard was an open shed where horses could be stabled. The enclosed shed built at right angles to this shed was a major improvement added in 1919. This addition made possible a great many more activities. The highlight of the year was the annual church anniversary in June with special afternoon and evening services on Sunday, and the anniversary supper on Tuesday. For this occasion tables and chairs stored in the shed were scrubbed and arranged for the supper. For many years Mrs. Fletcher Werry's wood-burning kitchen range was disconnected and set up in the shed for these suppers. When the Werry’s bought a new stove the old range was given to the church. Water was brought from home in milk cans and heated in copper boilers. There would be several seatings for a supper of cold meats, salads, pies and tea. One year Doris Lee organized a hot chicken pie supper with women cooking chicken pies at home and bringing them to the church just in time for serving.

After dinner everyone would gather at the south end of the shed where there was a portable stage and two dressing rooms for putting on plays or concerts. There was a tradition for churches in the area to attend and perform at each others anniversary suppers. Kedron's Adult Bible Class produced a play each year from 1915 to 1931. They would put it on at Kedron, and then at neighbouring churches. One play was performed fourteen times. Proceeds from these plays, as well as from other fund raising activities, like the sale of quilts made by members of the Women's Association, were set aside in a "Building Fund" to enlarge the church at some future date.
There was a great need for such expansion. The enclosed shed could be used for social gatherings in the summer time but that wasn't very satisfactory because farmers had more time to get together in the winter."

Thanks for your interest,
Dave

steelheadwill said:
Your research is going to pay off in a big way.
We both got those George VIs the other day, Today we both get Cola bottles.
(Mines a 'Pepsi')
I got a feeling you will hit that jackpot before long!
Best Digs! :hello:

Thanks Herbie! I feel like there's something really special out there on one of these sites, but I just haven't found it yet! Like everyone else though . . . I have to "pay my dues first". :laughing7:

Dave

How does that Pepsi bottle look? Pepsi was always good at putting the date the bottle was made on the bottom. :icon_thumright:

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Keep at it... The coins will start turning up :icon_thumright:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I really like the drawings of the site ... very pleasant and reminds me of the old cowboy movies.
Nice Coke botle.. :thumbsup:
H

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is something good in your "very" near future. Perhaps on your next trip there.

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz

Wow that is much info! :icon_thumleft:
I can imagine that when they did dress maby they drooped jewelry's or coins, and so on.
And they did sell the food the made? If so money has been around, i think that is a goooood site! :read2:

You shall be proud over you history, as you say, i think Ive heard one lady say, age doesn't matter? :headbang:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice post Dave ! I think there is more to find there as well ! And whats wrong with posting horseshoes ! I love finding them ! MaineRelic

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wldbil said:
Keep at it... The coins will start turning up :icon_thumright:

Thanks Wldbil :icon_thumright: I'm heading back tomorrow, I'll post anything of interest.

HH,
Dave

HISPAN said:
I really like the drawings of the site ... very pleasant and reminds me of the old cowboy movies.
Nice Coke botle.. :thumbsup:
H

Thank you Hispan. :icon_thumright: I really like these types of pencil drawings as well, they remind me of the way artists use to portray places prior to the invention of photography.

Have a nice weekend H,
Dave

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
There is something good in your "very" near future. Perhaps on your next trip there.

Hello Rick! :hello:

If I can only have one quarter of the luck that you seem to have I'd be very happy! :laughing7:

Thanks,
Dave

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The Swed Hunther said:
Wow that is much info! :icon_thumleft:
I can imagine that when they did dress maby they drooped jewelry's or coins, and so on.
And they did sell the food the made? If so money has been around, i think that is a goooood site! :read2:

You shall be proud over you history, as you say, i think Ive heard one lady say, age doesn't matter? :headbang:

That's a very good point Swed Hunther, "when they did dress maby they drooped jewelry's or coins"! I never thought about that. :icon_scratch: I will be heading back to the site tomorrow and will let you know if I find anything. :icon_thumright:

Happy Hunting to you,
David

MaineRelic said:
Nice post Dave ! I think there is more to find there as well ! And whats wrong with posting horseshoes ! I love finding them ! MaineRelic

Thanks buddy! I love this horseshoe also, it even still has the hook on it where it hooked onto the horses hoof. I'm soaking it in vinegar right now and I'll treat it with Ospho tomorrow.

Take care,
Dave

ppratt said:
I think the horse in the pic lost its shoe

Thanks ppratt! :laughing7: But I found this around the back of the church where the stable use to be! :thumbsup:

Dave

spitfire55 said:

A man of few words, if only my wife was that way! :laughing9:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gleaner1 said:
Something good lurks in this killer site. I wish I was there to lend a helping hand. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for your post gleaner1! :icon_thumright: I certainly get that feeling as well. I've never hunted with a partner before, sounds like it'd be a blast! :laughing7:

Thanks,
Dave

Indiana Digger said:
Cool site! Keep the coil to the soil on this one! :icon_thumleft:

HH,

~Indiana Digger~

Thanks buddy! I'll post if I find anything interesting today! :icon_thumright:

Happy Hunting to you,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread