Buffalo Camp? or Indian Battle Site? (NEW VIDEO of the site)

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been hunting this site in central Texas for the last few years and over that time period I am guessing close to 1000 cartridges have come out of this site... First we though it may have been a buffalo hunters camp... but the area where we have been finding large amounts of 1870s relics mostly cartridges has expanded to a very large area so were more thinking an Indian battle... there are just too many cartridges found in this area for buffalo hunters, though that may of happened too. Here is my latest find from this site.

Yesterdays finds (8 hour hunt and 4 guys) 150+ cartridges US plate (small one most likely not a buckle) 8 eagle buttons, utensils, small buckle, pistol cylinder. Lots of lead we found Henry rifle cartridges(mostly) Winchester rifle cartridges, Sharps 50-70 cartridges(including a complete one), Spencer Cartridges, and all kinds of other relics. I like the little fork I found. This is the site I also found my Sword Plate Belt Buckle...
it will be a producer for years to come!

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,307834.msg2227137.html#msg2227137

Panoramic View of the area...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17505121@N02/5694265214/in/photostream

Chukers

Attachments

• entrance.JPG
    entrance.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 799
  • camp.JPG
    camp.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 789
  • Digging.JPG
    Digging.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 792
  • Video find.JPG
    Video find.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 781
  • All Finds.JPG
    All Finds.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 797
  • Eagle Buttons.JPG
    Eagle Buttons.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 783
  • What is it..JPG
    What is it..JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 794
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Buffalo Camp? or Indian Battle Site?

Relic hunters dream spot!!

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know that the cartridges you are finding may seem like a lot but if it was hunters culling Buffalo then some of the herds took days to pass ! Thousands of Buffalo's would be shot . At the first they would shoot so many Buffalo that they had to dip there Guns into a bucket of water as it would get to hot and cook off the powder before they shot .

And if they did this right the Buffalo would not stampede as you could shoot one and it would drop and the rest would just keep walking . They became very good at this and could work all day and still not get a tenth of a moving herd .
It is hard to believe that there where that many Buffalo at the start of the killing and by a few years there were almost brought to extinction .
My family has some very old photos of this were the sculls were stacked like large hills and being taken off by wagons .

So you may find many hundreds of casings laying about as you search if this was what it was that happened where you are detecting.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Daedalus said:
I know that the cartridges you are finding may seem like a lot but if it was hunters culling Buffalo then some of the herds took days to pass ! Thousands of Buffalo's would be shot . At the first they would shoot so many Buffalo that they had to dip there Guns into a bucket of water as it would get to hot and cook off the powder before they shot .

And if they did this right the Buffalo would not stampede as you could shoot one and it would drop and the rest would just keep walking . They became very good at this and could work all day and still not get a tenth of a moving herd .
It is hard to believe that there where that many Buffalo at the start of the killing and by a few years there were almost brought to extinction .
My family has some very old photos of this were the sculls were stacked like large hills and being taken off by wagons .

So you may find many hundreds of casings laying about as you search if this was what it was that happened where you are detecting.

I agree with you 100%... I know this kind of thing happened... but from what I understand the location where we are hunting is further south than where the BIG herds were. by the time they got down to this location they were greatly thinned out. Also, we have not found any buffalo bones. I know they were gathered and used for other purposes, but I'd think a few would be in the ground like the relics we are finding... but also we are not finding Indian relics either. I'd like to see your pics some day.

Chukers

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Chukers,

I happened to notice your shirt in the post. It's from my hunting buddy's website. How did it make it that far north? We must have some friends in common :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

qkslvr said:
Hey Chukers,

I happened to notice your shirt in the post. It's from my hunting buddy's website. How did it make it that far north? We must have some friends in common :icon_thumright:

I won it in a club hunt... it was one of the prize tokens I found.

I use it almost every time I go out hunting... its about wore out LOL

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice eagle Button and interesting video....congrats! :thumbsup:
H

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread