CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, T Net , Mothers Day :icon_thumleft: My Best to All The Moms out there :icon_sunny: Today was a hot one here in Jersey , close to 80 degrees . :P Near the old gristmill are a few cellar holes that I located last month . I started working around a pile of bricks that where piled up near a hole that likely was a well . The bottle diggers in my area really worked this place over . Broken bottles and junk iron has been stacked near trees . The first find today was a rat tail pewter spoon , a big one compared to most . Moments after the spoon an iron tea pot spout . I'm thinkin' :icon_scratch: must have been the kitchen , stone ware , and my first silver at this site . :o A small tea spoon with PROVE and silver smitty mark AB 8) I went into a diggin' frenzy when I found the spoons . :P First coin was a copper , holed , an has a rose on the back ??? Dug parts of a wood stove . The kitchen was cookin' two more green discs ,1787 or 88 Jersey copper , reverse is toast and another mystery coin ?? . I dug a trench two and a half foot deep and started seeing chards , and more stoneware and glass . Another coin , this one is a black one ... silver :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: British 1757 sixpence !! Felt good to be back , an eight hour hunt yielded some decent finds . I left there covered with dirt . I hope the pics tell the rest of the story . Thanks for stopping in 8) Dawg Update on silver spoon; I checked the silversmith site and found a silversmith mark very similar to ; Andrew Billings
Preston, CT; Fishkill, NY; and Poughkeepsie, NY c. 1773-1805
Served as a captain in the Revolutionary War.

Attachments

• dawg1.JPG
    dawg1.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 5,775
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 5,703
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 5,659
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 5,663
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 5,625
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 5,614
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 5,564
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 5,595
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 5,558
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 5,546
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 5,513
  • sixpence coin.JPG
    sixpence coin.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 5,009
Upvote 3

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hot Diggity Dawg 1757 Silver and

You were really cooking there Dawg! Love that crumb spoon and the the 1757 sixpence....well you just don't see much British silver from the colonial period, so that is a fairly unusual find on this side of the pond!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Excellent Colonial finds. Would love to be able to hunt the East coast ::) Beats what we find anyday :notworthy:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are these not Banner worthy - the salt shovel is is probably 1790's - a rare dug find indeed !
the early Brit. silver doesn't make a regular appearance on this side of the pond - The salt silver
is certainly American , as the hallmarks for British (indeed most european countries ) were so
extensive - monarch profile , date letter ,city mark , makers mark , quality of silver , etc.
Argentium.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great post and nice finds...congrats! :thumbsup:
H

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Argentium said:
Are these not Banner worthy - the salt shovel is is probably 1790's - a rare dug find indeed !
the early Brit. silver doesn't make a regular appearance on this side of the pond - The salt silver
is certainly American , as the hallmarks for British (indeed most european countries ) were so
extensive - monarch profile , date letter ,city mark , makers mark , quality of silver , etc.
Argentium.
Certainly Bannerworthy.
As have been many of Dawgs previous finds/
He should have made it up there with those
Mill Finds from a few weeks back :dontknow:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wonderful finds. That sixpence sure is a beautiful coin!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice job!! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Old ? Yes
Silver ? Yes
and a very attractive coin.
:laughing7: I thought you were describing my Granma , Thanks Rick :icon_thumleft:
Ranger Richard said:
Nice job!! :icon_thumright:
Glad you like em'
joeyfresh said:
Wonderful finds. That sixpence sure is a beautiful coin!
Thank You , these must be found quite often :icon_scratch:
steelheadwill said:
Argentium said:
Argentium.
Certainly Bannerworthy.
As have been many of Dawgs previous finds/
He should have made it up there with those
Mill Finds from a few weeks back :dontknow:
I'll try using a different antiperspirant ::) Thanks Steelhead , your the best , HH :thumbsup:
HISPAN said:
Great post and nice finds...congrats! :thumbsup:
H
Thanks my friend :headbang:
Argentium said:
Argentium.
Salt shovel was made by a Rev. War vet Captain Andrew Billings , Thanks Argentium , but only the "chosen few" american silver spoons :tongue3: are eligible for recognition ::)
crazyjarhead said:
Excellent Colonial finds. Would love to be able to hunt the East coast ::) Beats what we find anyday :notworthy:
nothing wrong with your finds jarhead, Best to you out in Cal. :wave:
Steve in PA said:
You were really cooking there Dawg! Love that crumb spoon and the the 1757 sixpence....well you just don't see much British silver from the colonial period, so that is a fairly unusual find on this side of the pond!
Thanks Steve , I am glad you realize how tough this one is , even in the Original 13 colonies ... appreciate your comment , means a lot to the dawg :wink: 8) :headbang:

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.

Congrats on such a successful hunt and for such an awesome coin! :headbang:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! Very nice silver coin, love the spoons too!

Steve

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

'Salt shovel was made by a Rev. War vet Captain Andrew Billings , Thanks Argentium , but only the "chosen few" are eligible for recognition'
This item should be up top.
It certainly meets all the 'Criteria' :dontknow:
Congrats on an historic 'Museum Quality' Find

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow nice finds! That little silver shovel looking thing do you think it was used for spice or salt, anyway very cool find!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know this reply is late but I have been off turkey hunting and still wanted to congradulate you Dawg on an outstanding hunt . That George II silver is a great great find ! Along with the American made silver colonial salt spoon this post should have gone to the top . You have been in the trenches all spring and you deserve some recognition ! So I give it to you :hello2: :headbang: :notworthy: Keep posting ! Maybe a gold coin would banner ? go get em ! M.R.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fandamtastic :icon_thumright:

U

umrgolf

Jeff, this crumb spoon needs to be a banner find. It is the first ive ever seen, beautiful, early, American, Rev-War vet made.. Thats more than enough qualification.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes banner for the fantastic spoon! Awesome hunt.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

I'm voting banner for the spoon too. Never seen one or have heard of one being found. Early silversmithing with maker known (I think I'm a descendant, actually). Great early coins as well. What's not banner here?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread