An unusual find for such a shallow depth. Mothers Day find.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Apr 2010
    NC
    Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
    67 times
    Relic Hunting

An unusual find for such a shallow depth. Mother's Day find.

I went to visit my mom for Mother’s Day, at her sister’s house, where she has been recovering from a broken leg and knee surgery. We were sitting outside making small talk when my mother mentioned the new AT-Pro detector I had purchased around Christmas. I told her I was still having some trouble pinpointing with the Double-D coil. I just so happened to have the detector in the truck, so I went and got it out, along with my Pro-Pointer and Lesche. I decided to “practice” in the backyard, in and along the driveway. I figured that the dirt & gravel would be easier to repair if I had trouble locating a target, and plus I could talk to my mom as well. I located and recovered several clad targets, working hard to pinpoint with the detector and then verifying with the Pro-Pointer when it was close enough to the surface to sound off. I mentioned to my mom that the house was built in the early 60s, and that there should be a chance to find silver somewhere. Not five minutes later I get a good signal, in the dime range, VDI of 75, about 2 inches deep, along the edge of the drive in the grass. I think to myself it’s another clad dime. I pinpoint with the detector and then verify with the Pro-Pointer, yep, it’s shallow, the Pro-Pointer is chirping rather quickly… I stick my Lesche in under the target and gently pry the blade up, when the grass and soil split, I see the sparkle of silver, I was shocked!! I gently wiped off the coin and expected to see Rosy looking back at me, but to my joy, Mrs. Liberty was who I saw; a well worn 1911 Barber dime. Moral of this story, not all silver is going to be deep. I’m not sure if dirt has been brought in or moved around sometime in the past, but this old girl was just sitting there waiting at less than two inches. I would have expected it to be much deeper…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911-front.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	528301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911-back.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	528302  
    Dwight S
    Anyone up for some Dirt Fishin?

us
    Apr 2011
    Mason-Dixon Line
    eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: An unusual find for such a shallow depth. Mother's Day find.

Cool little silver there! Moral of the story: don't try to guess them in the dirt, leave room for the "surprise" factor.
    Which pro-pointer are you using? The Detector-Pro headset combo? That is what I have and love them! (until the probe wire came loose at the headset plug, in for repairs right now) I got so used to it, that I can hardly operate without it.
    So many yards, so little time!

us
    Apr 2010
    NC
    Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
    67 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by windage
    Cool little silver there! Moral of the story: don't try to guess them in the dirt, leave room for the "surprise" factor.
    Which pro-pointer are you using? The Detector-Pro headset combo? That is what I have and love them! (until the probe wire came loose at the headset plug, in for repairs right now) I got so used to it, that I can hardly operate without it.
    Garrett Pro-Pointer. I'm not a Garrett "snob"... My other detector is a White's XLT. That's why I'm having trouble pinpointing with the AT-Pro, the double D coil is much different than the concentric coil of the White's. It's taking some time to get used to.

I've heard of some folks trying to "cherry pick" the deeper good targets thinking that they are getting the oldies. But in my case, the Barber was more shallow than most of the other targets I was recovering.
    Dwight S
    Anyone up for some Dirt Fishin?

us
    Apr 2009
    Northeastern Pa.
    CZ 6a
    3 times

Good job on the Barber, by the wear that could have been dropped up until the early 50's or so. Shallow silver not that unusual, really depends on the soil, if it's hard and compacted or rocky underneath can't go far down. By the same token I've dug 60's clad at 6-7 inches in soft, loamy soil. Great thing about the hobby, you never know!

us
    Apr 2010
    NC
    Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
    28 times

Congrats on the Barber
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure" Mark Twain"

us
    Dec 2007
    CT
    Whites MXT, DetectorPro HH Underwater
    1113 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I've only found one barber. A 1905s dime at less than 1". In a 100 yr old park. I never would've guess it would be my oldest silver to date.
    Oldest Coin Finds to Date
    1737-1760 KGII Hibernia Half Cent ('10)
    1787 Fugio Large Cent ('15)
    1869 Two Cent ('09)
    1867-1883 Variety I Sheild Nickel ('09)
    1900 Barber Dime ('13)
    1929 Standing Liberty Quarter ('17)
    1944 Walking Liberty Half Dollar ('09)

us
    Aug 2008
    Wisconsin

Those are great and all depths, great find!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links