Solid Silver Thimble. 1909 VDB, Indians, Wheats, Buffalo, Token. Hoard Of Relics

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

Still beat after this weekends 3 day hunt.

Finally took my younger brother out to do some hunting. He's been really busy working and playing baseball.

We hunted for about a total of 8 hrs over the weekend. I'm still a little beat today from it all. I hunted hard and dug everything.

Haven't been used to hitting it that hard like I used to. I tend to dig more and walk farther when were together.

I got some nice keepers for the weekend. We hit this old large set of woods behind some old homes.

My favorite finds are the silver thimble. And the small lock.

The thimble has a design all around the bottom. It looks like a house a church a boat and a city Pretty neat relic.

The lock is smaller than a half dollar. It says eagle lock co on it.

I also got a vdb wheat. No back shot for you all. The vdb is so tiny it wouldn't show.

Got a no date buffalo and a Andrew Johnson presidential token.

The Indians were a 94 and a 02. One wheat was a better 33 date.

I also found a ring dated 1923. But it is in really bad condition.

It was a nice weekend haul. But I am feeling the effects today. I also worked and played baseball to.

I'm getting older Lol.

Thanks for looking,

HH Jer

Attachments

• Man I\'m Tiered goodies.jpg
    Man I\'m Tiered goodies.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 740
  • Man I\'m Tiered relics.jpg
    Man I\'m Tiered relics.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 742
  • Man I\'m Tiered relics 1.jpg
    Man I\'m Tiered relics 1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 751
Upvote 0

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
1909 vbd ? Isn't that one of the rare ones? Or is it only the S vbd's? I can't remember.

Nice digs anyhow.

Diggem'

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds Jer.

Glad to see You's Had fun

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta Love This Hobby!!!!! nice digs

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: Solid Silver Thimble. 1909 VDB, Indians, Wheats, Buffalo, Token. Hoard Of Re

Nice going...what a haul!

Any mfgr.'s mark on the thimble? Any chance you could post a closeup or two? Some of the sterling ones with scenic bands are fairly valuable.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes!! Thats a lot of digging. I have been after a silver thimble for a long time!! cONGRATS. :)

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone,

Yeah, silver thimbles are tough to find. This is only the third silver one I ever found.

No it wasn't the vdb s. That's the rare one. Your right Diggem. Maybe one day though.

Pbk, I attached a few more scans. It's the best I can get it. There is a ship on the one side I couldn't scan.

The only marking it has is in the finger part. It says sterling with a star and a what looks like a bell in the star. Then it has a number 11 for the size I guess. It's a pretty large thimble.

I found it in this little nook of woods were I found some wheat's before and a military button.

It was at the very end of the path woods we were in. Other than that it was slow and all relics. It read a solid 85 on my dfx and was about 6 inches deep.

I polished it all out. It was really black and grey.

I'm taking a few days off this week. I'm tiered. The tearrain in the area is rough on your knees and back.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Thimble marking.jpg
    Thimble marking.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 694
  • Thimble scan 1.jpg
    Thimble scan 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 688
  • Thimble scan 2.jpg
    Thimble scan 2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 695

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful thimble Jer! Lots of great stuff this weekend for you!!

The pangs of getting 'older'..... :P I know how you feel! :-X But good for you, you still have a bit to catch up with me on the age thing! :D

Rest up and get back out there this weekend! :) Awesome as always!

Nana ;)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Solid Silver Thimble. 1909 VDB, Indians, Wheats, Buffalo, Token. Hoard Of Re

Awesome finds Jer!!! That thimble is really nice, congrats on a few nice hunts. HH, Mike

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
How did I miss this post?
Great finds Jer! Congrats!

Love the thimble and I think it's rare to find one in such great shape. Seems like they are always crushed or badly damaged. Cool! Sterling too, bonus!

The red jewel looking button item in your relics photo... I found one just like this recently. I'll have to find mine here and compare.

Great job out there!

Smiles!
BDoo

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice coins and relics, quite a haul you have there!

HH,
Rusted

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I haven't seen any with that much stuff on the bottom either. It would be nice to know how old it is and or who made it.

Your right boobydoo, They are always crushed or in terrible shape. This one isn't perfect but very good condition I would say. It's gotta be about 75 yrs old.

I was finding wheats and a few turn of the century coins. Right in the same area were the thimble came from.

Nana, I don't know how I'm gonna feel in another 20 yrs or so. If I keep going like I am I'll need to hire a digger like one of my boys lol.

HH

Jeremy

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you guys had a great weekend. way to go

R

realmhunter

The S dates are the more valuable of the V.D.B's but that is a wonderful find. Some hunters can go through their entire life and not find a single V.D.B . Congrats on the find!!! RH

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Wow, you sure DID dig a lot. I think this is a good post to show the amount of junk you have to dig up in order to find those few keepers. I don't think a lot of people just getting a detector realize how much trash they gotta dig to get to the neat stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread