Civil war shoulder scale

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
took a day off today to take a Coastie buddy of mine out to one of my favorite sites before he gets shipped overseas next week for a year. He admitted that he had been in a CW relic drought for 2 years and today was the remedy. After a slow start to the morning I found this awesome shoulder scale, more about that later. after lunch, and about 30 feet away, my friend found another shoulder scale in a couple of pieces. He was able to pull 2 three ringers and a great pre 1900 Church Co Soda token which later became Arm and Hammer.

Anyway the shoulder scale I found is pretty interesting. It has the top and bottom piece along with two of the scales. It was separated when I pulled it out of the hole, but the pieces came out togeather. when I lifted the top off the two scales were inside similar to the picture below. The way I see it the scales lay on top and would not have fallen inside of the thing.

did these things have spare scales inside for replacement? the only other thing I can imagine is it was broken and someone slid the scales inside.

Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 656
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Shoulder Scale Bob! They don't pop up all the time but are a very welcome sight when they do! :occasion14:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so thats what they are supposed to look like !!! the only one I have found so far has been mangled by years of being plowed in a wheat field. actually I knew what they are supposed to look like, but I haven't had the good fortune to find one intact yet. nice find

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Wow.......... That is some find. Do the number of scales help in IDing the rank or were they all the same? I guess I would defer to replacements if not.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Man you guys in VA sure find the good stuff. That is a find I would gladly put in a display case and show off. :icon_thumleft:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice dig Bob!! The NCO's scale's had the extra pan on the bottom like your's and were slightly narrower in width from the Enlisted men's.I really don't think they had extra scale's :thumbsup:

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is a shoulder scale kind of like an epaulette and worn in the same fashion?

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save Bob ! You don't see very many of those posted ! That one is in great shape :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
{Sentinel} said:
Congrats on the Shoulder Scale Bob! They don't pop up all the time but are a very welcome sight when they do! :occasion14:

Thanks Sentinel. It made the trip and the three ticks I pulled off today worth it. ;D

spitfire55 said:

thanks spitfire

LukeTHr said:
so thats what they are supposed to look like !!! the only one I have found so far has been mangled by years of being plowed in a wheat field. actually I knew what they are supposed to look like, but I haven't had the good fortune to find one intact yet. nice find

Thanks LukeTHr I've only found a bit of one other one up to this point.

Woodland Detectors said:
Like Josh said, those are always a welcome sight. Nice save Bob! :headbang:

Thanks

romeo-1 said:
That's a cool find!

Thanks Romeo

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
civilman1 said:
Nice dig Bob!! The NCO's scale's had the extra pan on the bottom like your's and were slightly narrower in width from the Enlisted men's.I really don't think they had extra scale's :thumbsup:

Thanks Civilman. It's strange that the scales were between the bottom pan and the top part. I guess it must have broken or fallen off and the scales were slipped inside.

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
mastereagle22 said:
Man you guys in VA sure find the good stuff. That is a find I would gladly put in a display case and show off. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Mastereagle22, you sure are right, there is so much great history here to find. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
MaineRelic said:
Nice save Bob ! You don't see very many of those posted ! That one is in great shape :thumbsup:

Thanks MaineRelic, Yeah this one is in great shape. The one my buddy found was not so lucky.

Now I need to get back there and hit the area between the two pretty hard. Maybe I can find the rest of the scales

:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread