This is NOT how you suppose to find silver!

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted this place while they were clearing this lot but I haven't after they finished leveling it... so I decided to go take a look and see what I could find... I really wasn't find much a few brass and copper pieces... and then...

I dunno if I like video over pictures... I thought I'd try one and see what you all thought!

Chukers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPMmj3O4NE

Upvote 0

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Enjoyed your video! Congrats on the silver. Bet that elderly dime's been a lot of places before she ended up sitting on top of the dirt. They say money talks, nice if she'd tell her story, lol. Andi

dwatson4

Sep 8, 2010
West Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
E trac, F75, Garrett Sea hunter II
I got a barber quarter like that a few weeks ago, all black, didn't want to clean up still has some black stain on it and the surface seemed kind of distorted like your dime. I think it was in a fire, you dime may have seen some heat as well.

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dwatson4 said:
I got a barber quarter like that a few weeks ago, all black, didn't want to clean up still has some black stain on it and the surface seemed kind of distorted like your dime. I think it was in a fire, you dime may have seen some heat as well.

I'll agree with that statement - I found a Barber Dime and an 1889 IH, both had a thin coating on them.
After a quick shot of electrolysis, they cleaned up nicely but were pitted and damaged by the goo.

1912barberdime.jpg

But like you said "silver is silver"!

LASTCHANCE72

Greenie
Mar 20, 2011
Nice find Chuck!! Video is great ! We will have to go hunt that area again before they make a parking lot out of it.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LASTCHANCE72 said:
Nice find Chuck!! Video is great ! We will have to go hunt that area again before they make a parking lot out of it.

yeah there has to be more than one!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
i'll take an ugly silver anyday over a new clad !!

thats for sure!

Chukers

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
fire is correct call in my book as to what happen to it ---when ash from a fire mixes with water --a caustic * is produced (somewhat like lye - used in soap making in the old days )--this of course coats / darkens and pits the coins surfaces . :wink: :icon_thumright:

dwebb210

Jun 10, 2010
In the name of maintaining accuracy, I would like to correct one thing.

When a fire burns wood, and the ash is exposed to water, it hydrates the mineral oxides forming a caustic, not an acid.

Sodium and potassium hydroxide.

ivan salis said:
fire is correct call in my book as to what happen to it ---when ash from a fire mixes with water --a acid is produced (somewhat like lye - used in soap making in the old days )--this of course coats / darkens and pits the coins surfaces . :wink: :icon_thumright:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video ! I bet you find more there at that site over the summer .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
corrected from acid to caustic * -- bottom line is the wood ash and water combo -- forms a substance that coats / darkens and will eat away at (pit) coins over time --- both caustics and acids will "burn" or eat up (destroy) stuff chemically speaking

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daedalus said:
Nice video ! I bet you find more there at that site over the summer .

I'm hoping to... my hunting partners were skeptical of the site... that one reason I made the video... I had a feeling there was somehting there... but really didn't expect to find it on the ground till I seen all the milkglass on top of the ground!

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread