Arkansas Civil War or Militia Button found?

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero; Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone....

My fiance's uncle found this Arkansas Civil War or Militia button on his property today while walking through a group of trees he had bulldozed. There was Civil War activity on/near the property. He lives in Northwest Arkansas, within 30 miles of Pea Ridge. This is the first button that he has found. Would anyone w/ a little more knowledge be able to offer any confirmation as to type or info? We pulled images of Arkansas Civil War buttons off the net, and it looks like it could be a militia button dating from right after the war? We have heard that the Arkansas buttons are rare? As always, I would be appreciatiave of any help to identify :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 701
Upvote 0

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
CW Period Arkansas buttons are indeed very rare. I can't read the backmark, which is probably the most crucial evidence to solve the puzzle.

You can bet, though, that if this is a period, and not post-war button, that it is in the several thousand dollar range. The condition is stunning! If I were you I'd be asking to hunt and bringing a detector for your fiance's Uncle as well. He lives right up by where I detect, lots of Civil War history through there.

Tell him congrats on an amazing find!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Be better putting in the "what is it" forum..let the guys there judge. :thumbsup:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a neat button! Not familiar at all with that backmark, though. Can you read it?

It also has two or three letters on the front at the top .. Can you make them out?

Attachments

• backmark.jpg
    backmark.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 574

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bagman13 wrote:
> We pulled images of Arkansas Civil War buttons off the net, and it looks like it could be a militia button dating from right after the war?

I take no pleasure in having to tell you that your guess about it is correct. It is definitely an 1870s-or-later button. Specifically, it is an Arkansas State Seal button, worn by that state's Militia during the post-civil-war era. It is listed (and shown in a photo) in the Albert button-book as button AK-4.

On the only civil war era version (Albert button# AK-1), the Goddess of Liberty stands atop the shield. On Bagman13's button, she stands beside the shield.

As noted, it is definitely a postwar-era button. If you can decipher the backmark, it will give us a more-exact time of manufacture. (The only backmark for AK-4 listed in the Albert book is "Goodwin's Pat[ent] July 27, 1875".)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although its a post-war button, its still a terrific Indian Wars era button and still worth some money. Great find :icon_thumleft: :wink:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some additional info for Bagman13:
I've now managed to decipher enough of the backmark's lettering without you needing to clean it any further. Based on the parts of the lettering I can see, the backmark appears to be "M.C. Lilley & Co. / Columbus O." That means it cannot date prior to 1876. (See the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book for info on M.C. Lilley & Co.)

OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol said:
That is a neat button! Not familiar at all with that backmark, though. Can you read it?

It also has two or three letters on the front at the top .. Can you make them out?

I'm probably wrong, but I think that one of the words is COLUMBUS.....Ohio maybe? I have heard that Confederate buttons were sometimes made in the Northern States?

OP
OP
Bagman13

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheCannonballGuy said:
Some additional info for Bagman13:
I've now managed to decipher enough of the backmark's lettering without you needing to clean it any further. Based on the parts of the lettering I can see, the backmark appears to be "M.C. Lilley & Co. / Columbus O." That means it cannot date prior to 1876. (See the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book for info on M.C. Lilley & Co.)

Thank you so much for the info. Not that he would ever sell it, but would you have any idea of a value for something like this? I'm an arrowhead hunter.....I'm ashamed to say that I know very little about Arkansas War Period History?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions