ok...this is crazy..attic find

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
My grand-pa and I are not very close, but he came across something today that makes me want to call him up and shoot the shit with him. He's been living in a house around 2 years now thats no more then 40 years old and just recently went up into the attic and saw a board sticking out. He then moved it out of the way and found a metal box FULL of old coins, paper bills, folders full of money. According to him they are from the 17 and 1800's. He even described paper cents to my mom (never heard of something like this). I'm guessing if he has paper dimes, and supposively one of the first bills ever made in the U.S. that this cache is worth making the 2 hour trip to look at. I'm going to get pictures as soon as possible, sounds almost too good to be true.

Upvote 0

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Not to raise the level of excitement or anything, but ........

some of you may remember earlier this year when I sold this for a friend on eBay for ..... $3800.00 !!

texas20.jpg

IF you have the "right" paper in the "right" condition or not, you CAN get LAUNCHED !!

MO MONEY, MO MONEY, MO MONEY !! ;D

In all seriousness ... if you need someone to move them for you, I would be glad to help.

( for my normal 20% ;) )

shortz

Greenie
Apr 2, 2006
Jupiter FL
bigcypresshunter said:
RatRacer said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Great find!! Cant wait to see pics. You would not believe how many people hide guns and valuables in the attic, including myself. :D
Any luck on your Civil War stuff? Contact with new occupants? Good luck with that.
I sold out to Haitians who speak little English. I cannot communicate with them. I am hoping that I moved the Civil War stuff out of the attic, and will remember or find them someday, and will post pics.
Hatians are my favorite.they always smell so good.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
shortz said:
bigcypresshunter said:
RatRacer said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Great find!! Cant wait to see pics. You would not believe how many people hide guns and valuables in the attic, including myself. :D
Any luck on your Civil War stuff? Contact with new occupants? Good luck with that.
I sold out to Haitians who speak little English. I cannot communicate with them. I am hoping that I moved the Civil War stuff out of the attic, and will remember or find them someday, and will post pics.
Hatians are my favorite.they always smell so good.
I hear they are moving up to Jupiter. :D :D :D ;)

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
Ok we talked 2 my grand-pa today. We wrote down about half the stuff he told us he had found. He has SEVERAL silver morgan dollars, 1871 silver dollar, colony coins, liberty dimes, turkish one million dollar bill worth 12 bucks, walking liberty silver dollar, british coins, SEVERAL 1700's coins/mostly pennies, 3 cent pieces, canadian silver dimes, quarters, dollars. He also said he brought some HAND painted bills from the 1700's that were so rare that the person looking at them couldn't find them in any books. Sounds very interesting, I really need to go out there and get some pics. Any info on the hand painted bills? (1700's)? He said I could pick out what I wanted, so of course I'm going for the most valuable what should I get!??!?!??!?!?!

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
Yes he brought the bills and other coins to a dealer that knew of the value of coins/bills. He said he's seen it all but NEVER the bills my grand-dad had found. He described them to us as being hand painted and some of the first practice bills of the United States currency, whatever that means. I'll be sure to get pics sometime this week, I'm keeping up with what he has. Just need to know what coin I should bring home!!!

A

agbonanza

Hand-painted....wow, never heard of that. Pictures....we want pictures...lol....as far as what you take...without seeing the selection, get whatever catches your "inner" fancy...the most valuable is not always the best for you...good luck and keep us posted.

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fleamistress said:
Bring Gramps a nice book on the subject.Person who looked over them?
Interesting...the things money cant buy! ;)

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grogmug said:
Sounds very interesting, I really need to go out there and get some pics. Any info on the hand painted bills? (1700's)? He said I could pick out what I wanted, so of course I'm going for the most valuable what should I get!??!?!??!?!?!

My grand-pa and I are not very close, but he came across something today that makes me want to call him up and shoot the #@!$%#@! with him.

I hope he sees you more after you two bond! You might want to spend sometime with him.....he might be reaching out.......the old folks are the most valuable!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the coinage goes,it's all about condition of the coins.Except perhaps rare or key dates,or some early colonial coppers.The notes you are referring to are probably "hand signed" as opposed to "hand painted",though I could very well be wrong ,cause i'm no expert.Here's a note from 1776 issued by the Continental Congress during the American Revolution.As the revolution progressed the value of the "specie"drastically declined.The worthlessness of Continental Currency is perpetuated in the phrase "Not worth a Continental".Here's the photo.It's worth about a hundred bucks maybe.

Attachments

• note5-76.jpg
    note5-76.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 320
  • note5-76b.jpg
    note5-76b.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 316

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions