ok...this is crazy..attic find

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
My grand-pa and I are not very close, but he came across something today that makes me want to call him up and shoot the shit with him. He's been living in a house around 2 years now thats no more then 40 years old and just recently went up into the attic and saw a board sticking out. He then moved it out of the way and found a metal box FULL of old coins, paper bills, folders full of money. According to him they are from the 17 and 1800's. He even described paper cents to my mom (never heard of something like this). I'm guessing if he has paper dimes, and supposively one of the first bills ever made in the U.S. that this cache is worth making the 2 hour trip to look at. I'm going to get pictures as soon as possible, sounds almost too good to be true.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great find!! Cant wait to see pics. You would not believe how many people hide guns and valuables in the attic, including myself. :D

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
bigcypresshunter said:
Great find!! Cant wait to see pics. You would not believe how many people hide guns and valuables in the attic, including myself. :D
Any luck on your Civil War stuff? Contact with new occupants? Good luck with that.
Grogmug, hope it's a great find! We love pics on TNet...

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
Do you know anything about these paper coins? Are they valuable/rare? I'll keep a look out at these coins when I make the trip sounds pretty crazy!

R

realmhunter

The paper "coins" are actually called fractionals. The notes were used when silver and gold were scarce... Its amazing to find a box full of notes and coins in a attic... I would become very friendly. Even if you can just look at it all, the experience itself would be enriching..RH

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I remember somewhere in my old newspaper research, an article I ran across, I hope I saved that one...but they were talking about "paper coins"....I will have to go through the articles and see if I saved that one. This article was written in the mid-1800's...as that was the years I was researching.

Take lots of pics....hope your Grandpa shows them to you!!! I'm excited just to see the pics!! :):):)

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
He claims one of the paper bills were dated 1701...one of the designer bills or first bill ever made...sounds crazy. Don't know much about them but how could someone forget about a collection like that?! Someone had to of died in that house.

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I don't know about "paper coins", but I have an old 15 cent paper note. The 15 cents seems to be an unusual designation. I don't know the date.

Attachments

• 13 cent note.jpg
    13 cent note.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,406
OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
It got me going and I don't even own any of these items. I'll be making the trip sometime this week to see what he has...take some pictures, come back and figure out what kind of stuff were dealing with here.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Maybe this find by him will bring the two of you closer...either way keep us posted sounds like a cool find.

Dave

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Beam me down fast, Scottie! The old phrase, "not worth a Continental" doesn't apply anymore. Heal old wounds or Eat crow if you have to. Good luck!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
hope he has a few u.s. $100.00 bills from 1863 + - , being as they are being auctioned off in the millions each.....................g

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
A house does not have to be old to have a cache. I stash neat stuff all the time waiting for it to increase in value. I also put stuff together to get more of it and when I do not I box it up and store it. A archaeologist will have a time trying to figure out what happened at my place. Good Luck.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
RatRacer said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Any luck on your Civil War stuff? Contact with new occupants? Good luck with that.
I sold out to Haitians who speak little English. I cannot communicate with them. I am hoping that I moved the Civil War stuff out of the attic, and will remember or find them someday, and will post pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions