Silver FAKE Roman Denarius Dated AD66!! WOW!!!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    gb
    Nov 2010
    Essex
    XP DEUS!
    183 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)

Silver FAKE Roman Denarius Dated AD66!! WOW!!!!

Found this little beauty today on pasture land it was only 2 inchs deep its been ID as a Nero Fourrée Denarius DATED AD66!

which im very shocked about as its my first silver Roman coin and its had to be fake and even more rarer

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/sho...6&limit=recent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	1340 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	530912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	1342 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	530913  

us
    Apr 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
    13 times

Re: Silver FAKE Roman Denarius Dated AD69!! WOW!!!!

Holy Cow! Fake??!!! BANNER!!!!
    Live each day as if it were your last.  Soak in and seek love and light and shine it upon everyone who will accept it.  Value your true friends like gold as they are more rare and valuable than you may ever know.  Live in integrity with all men.

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    234 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Silver FAKE Roman Denarius Dated AD66!! WOW!!!!

Very cool...congrats.

Don't know much about this type of coinage but it sounds like it maybe banner worthy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..lol.

NJ

us
    The Past Tells the Future! Let's try not to do it over .

Feb 2011
    Strafford , Missouri
    Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
    16 times

Now this has to be one of the most rare finds their could be . Nice going on this item and I am voting for the banner on this one.
    Nice job !
    Few things I love to do is , Metal Detecting for anything of the past!
    Making Detectors better ! Tuning and finding ways to upgrade Detector hardware , To make them work the Best that is possable !

us
    Mar 2007
    Utah
    Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
    5 times

Much better than average fake. Kane 23
    "Ride boldly ride" the shade replied if you search for El Dorado

us
    Aug 2008
    Wisconsin

Fake by who, when and why?? Sounds very intrusting but I know nothing about this.

us
    Nov 2010
    California
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    946 times

Hey, folks, click on the link Jimmy provided in his initial post to see the additional information where he registered this coin in UK. It HAD to be fake because that obverse side was never used with that reverse side on the official coin!

Jimmy, are the official coins solid silver or are they silver-clad base metal like the fake?

BANNER VOTE! This groovy coin in good shape and is an old fake version of very old coin. Andi

gb
    Nov 2010
    Essex
    XP DEUS!
    183 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Quote Originally Posted by rottonr
    Fake by who, when and why?? Sounds very intrusting but I know nothing about this.
    faked by the Romans 2000 years ago it was faked by a Roman to copy a real coin at that time AD66
    Quote Originally Posted by g-olden years
    Hey, folks, click on the link Jimmy provided in his initial post to see the additional information where he registered this coin in UK. It HAD to be fake because that obverse side was never used with that reverse side on the official coin!

Jimmy, are the official coins solid silver or are they silver-clad base metal like the fake?

BANNER VOTE! This groovy coin in good shape and is an old fake version of very old coin. Andi

yes the real coins are solid silver but mine is a only half silver

gb
    Nov 2010
    Essex
    XP DEUS!
    183 times
    Banner Finds (3)

thanks every one who has voted for a banner dont know much about how banners work

but its funny to know that even 2000 years ago people where still fakeing coins

gb
    Nov 2010
    Essex
    XP DEUS!
    183 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher

I think the UKFD might be wrong on this one on the Reverse not being used before. Ric 67 Nero Denarius. Laureate and bearded head of Nero right; IMP NERO CAESAR AVGVSTVS / Salus draped, seated left on throne, holding patera, SALVS in exergue.

The only difference is the wording used by UKFD...Enthroned Left.

SS
    what does this mean mate its a fake from 20th century?

gb
    Nov 2010
    Essex
    XP DEUS!
    183 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy uk

I think the UKFD might be wrong on this one on the Reverse not being used before. Ric 67 Nero Denarius. Laureate and bearded head of Nero right; IMP NERO CAESAR AVGVSTVS / Salus draped, seated left on throne, holding patera, SALVS in exergue.

The only difference is the wording used by UKFD...Enthroned Left.

SS
    i did a silver test, you know tin foil and spit and it really did smelt of rotten eggs bad. so it must be silver

what does this mean mate its a fake from 20th century?
    I just edited the post, I think it may be modern

SS

Jimmy I have removed my posts to your thread because I believe I made mistakes with some of the imformation I posted

The Obverse is different to Ric67, and is indeed Ric47 as stated by UKFD, and like they say no reference to these two different sides, being used on the same coin. But I still have doubts to it being Ancient if it is, it could be worth quite a bit of Money...I hope it is real(Ancient Fake - Copy) but there are still a few things that don't look right the very round flan for one, the legand, and the two indentations on both sides of the coin ...good luck. I would vote Banner but I'm still not convinced, would like Crusader, or IP to comment on it

SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    234 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

I know nothing about these ancient coins but is it possible to be an ancient 'mint error'. Were the two sides used by the same people around the same time but just on two different coins? Just a thought.

NJ

gb
    Nov 2010
    Essex
    XP DEUS!
    183 times
    Banner Finds (3)

i found this http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fak...lbum=2&page=49

its got loads of fake coins of my coin on here and mine doesnt look like any of them

Jimmy I have removed my posts to your thread because I believe I made mistakes with some of the imformation I posted

The Obverse is different to Ric67, and is indeed Ric47 as stated by UKDFD, and like they say no reference to these two different sides, being used on the same coin. But I still have doubts to it being Ancient if it is, it could be worth quite a bit of Money...I hope it is real(Ancient Fake - Copy) but there are still a few things that don't look right the very round flan for one, the legand, and the two indentations on both sides of the coin ...good luck. I would vote Banner but I'm still not convinced, would like Crusader, or IP to comment on it

SS
    This was Dad's thoughts:
    'If it is a contemporary forgery the obverse is using the laur head right of RIC 47 and the Rev Salus of RIC 67. So the UKFD on a hybrid is correct but as SS points out correctly there was sometimes no “A” but a “Λ” used at that time on Nero coins – so would a contemporary forgery use that? Quite likely as other Nero coins around that time did use the “A” in CAESAR. In fact RIC 47 in Sears 1927 photo example has a weak A rather than the “Λ”. So it is still possibly a circa AD66 contemporary Forgery, or even a debased/plated silver that has never been known until now and possibly a modern fake but very cleverly done to get that sort of wear onto it.'

Jimmy,
    (firstly its only a small point but it always helps to learn the terminology [I often used the fake word as well] - its not 'FAKE' unless its modern; Its a contemporary Forgery, Local imitation, Fourree, or something else??
    If I were on ebay I probably would pass based on the photo, just gut feeling. The UKDFD gives it some legitimacy, as they are right more of the time than the PAS IDs. I rate the site very highly.
    This will bring a smile to SS; Its the first one I'm unsure of without it in the hand
    I thought I could see a join around the edge? Has it a seam or the like around it?

Its quite a good Fourree (some are blundered) but they quite often pretty skillfully made and Spelled which I think may point the finger at an 'X' coin maker or a current one making some extra money.

I checked a couple of my 1st Century examples & they are quite a bit thinner than yours, the copper core being pretty thin & then silver plated on both sides. Yours would be a thick example & very little of the copper has bled out Interestingly one of the ones I looked at was a Salvs Reverse on a Vespasian AD69.

I could honestly flip a coin on it being a modern fantasy/something contemporary. The interesting thing is what is the 'something', as Dad pointed out, there is a possibility its a plated/debased 'unknown or at least unpublished' semi-officially minted coin.

If I flipped that coin now (because I have swayed all over the place), I would call it Ancient but needs much more research.
    CONGRATS its a puzzle of a start to your Roman Silver collection
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links