garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go tub!! Tks for looking and commenting!! Tried to do some enhancing with my picture program.

Attachments

• 1805 Draped Bust .jpg
    1805 Draped Bust .jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 471
  • Button back.jpg
    Button back.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 500

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Nice. Can't believe more people haven't commented on this: way beyond anything I'm likely to find in my area. Astoria is currently celebrating it's 200th anniversary, so we hardly ever see something this old except on TNet.

If you choose to clean it, may I suggest soaking it in olive oil for 2-5 days? Should remove at least some of the dirt particles.

Another possibility (up to you) is to microwave 1" of hydrogen peroxide in a small dish for 30-40 seconds, then drop coin in for a quick cleansing bath for 1-2 minutes. Shouldn't remove any metal, but might remove soil/organics and make details easier to see.

Thanks for sharing with those of us unlikely to see one of these in hand (unless we purchase one).

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello2:
Nice half cent Garthbfan! Those are very tough coins to find. I have only found one in twenty years of relic hunting.
Congrats!

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Great find on the half cent! :icon_thumright: You don't see them too much so great job recovering it! :headbang: If that 5 in the 1805 is a small one you've got a rare variety!

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
The olive oil cleans well, but I have found, on Lincoln cents anyway, that the hot peroxide can leave it a nasty brown color. Quite un-natural. For me, I would rather have this amazing coin the way Mother Nature gave it up. I know, it's not natural, either, but.......... What a coin! I can't even afford to BUY one that old.

OP
OP
garthbfan169

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the back of the 1805 sorry I should of posted it along with the front. I am so afraid to clean it. While you can't see alot of detail you can see the date and I don't want to lose it. I can't make out anything on the back. I am taking it to a local coin shop to see if they can tell me which variety I have. The Blue book says there are 3 different size 5's small, medium and large. Hopefully they can tell me which one. Thanks so much for looking again!!

Attachments

• 1805 Back.jpg
    1805 Back.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 377

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest coin to date! Those half cents are cool little coins, I remember digging my first, an 1803. I was confused as to what I had for about 30 seconds, but when I realized what it was, I was overjoyed :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions