Very unique Non-MD Coin Find, 1931 Lake find

Lc_102

Jul 15, 2006
Springfield MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI Pro Plus
Hey guys,

I bought this Neodimium Magnet off of ebay about a year age, it can hold up to 200 lb's, its INSANELY strong, you wouldnt believ it if you hadnt seen one.

Anyway, I got this bright Idea to take it to the lake that has a bridge over it and see what I could pull up (handgun maybe?)

After about 2 hours of looking, i had pulled up and entire kitchen's worth of pipe, yes kitchen sink and all, a zippo lighter and more broken lures you could imagine (I even pulled up a complete motorcycle frame) before pulling the magnet up and it had a coin on it!

COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED!!!!

It first I thought it was a kennedy half (Before thinking much about it) by the bust that was on the front, it had silver looking tarnish all over it, when i cleanded it off it turned out to be a 5 Franc coin from 1931!

It looks like it might be silver plated, because it didnt stick as well as it would if it was iron or potmetal or something, and it didnt have any rust or corrosion.

Any kind of info on it would be cool, it was a pretty cool experiance, cant wait to go back and do it again!

Attachments

• Lake Find Front.jpg
    Lake Find Front.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 595
  • Lake Find Back.jpg
    Lake Find Back.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lc_102

Lc_102

Jul 15, 2006
Springfield MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI Pro Plus
I really want to go out on a boat with it, never know what you might pull up.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you have the magnet tied to? I have been wanting to try fishing with a magnet I got out of a hard drive but not sure what to use. I would think rope would not be strong enough in the small diameter you'd want it in and cable would stick to the magnet.

R

realmhunter

Very ingenious. You will have people talking about that idea for a long time..RH ;D

OP
OP
Lc_102

Lc_102

Jul 15, 2006
Springfield MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI Pro Plus
Good, I hope I start a hip new trend all over the US for us Junk/Relic hunters out there.
Just call it LC-fishing or something cool like that so I can have some credit ;D

To: Nathan104: I tied the magnet to a piece of 300lb tess nylon type rope, I know the magnet will only pickup around 200 lb's, so the rope should hold up fine barring a catastophy, I just tied one end to a shackle welded to a steel plate the magnet is glued too, and the other end to my belt buckle and let er fly!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lc_102 said:
Any kind of info on it would be cool, it was a pretty cool experiance, cant wait to go back and do it again!

Cool Find.

In case you are not aware it is from BELGIUM

It will Definately take PBK to Tell you more on it tho.

S

sloany66

LC...... COULD YOU PLEASE POST A PIC OF THE ZIPPO LIGHTER , SOME ARE VERY VALUABLE , AND YOU CAN GET A REPLACEMENT FOR FREE IF IT IS DESTROYED .

Keith IL

Jan 8, 2004
sloany66 said:
LC...... COULD YOU PLEASE POST A PIC OF THE ZIPPO LIGHTER , SOME ARE VERY VALUABLE , AND YOU CAN GET A REPLACEMENT FOR FREE IF IT IS DESTROYED .
Now that's some information I could of used a couple of years ago :D

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice coin, but it is not silver. The EEN BELGA means one belga (which equaled 5 francs), and was minted of pure nickel, which is why it was magnetic and stuck to the magnet. Cool find though!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ,really cool Idea ! Keep us posted on future finds. :)

OP
OP
Lc_102

Lc_102

Jul 15, 2006
Springfield MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI Pro Plus
To Slony66: At first I thought the lighter was an antique, It said 1936 on the side, and said solid brass on the side of the cover.

Turns out it was a remake of a 1936 model frome 1996, I was a little dissapointed, but its still something cool from the bottom of a lake :)

This is what it is like, I will see if I can find it, I know its around here somewhere.

Do you know where to take them to get a replacement?

http://www.ziplomat.com/product/012731.shtml

It doesnt quite look that clean thoght, lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mail to

ZIPPO Repair Clinic
1932 Zippo Drive
Bradford, Pa. 16701

include the lighter & Your Name,
address & Phone Number.

they prefer you remove the Flint before shipping if possable.

their normal policy is to replace the inside lighting
mechanism of the lighter, with the inside of the current year manufacture, and to repair the hinge.

the finish is not Guaranteed, so that will stay as found.

they always return the damaged pieces, even when the lighter
outside is not repairable and they ship a replacement.

http://www.zippo.com/

They NEVER Charge. not even Postage.

To request a free Guide on Dating Zippos

ZIPPO Manufacturing Company
33 Barbour Street
Bradford, Pa. 16701

Their Phone # (814)-368-2727

S

sloany66

hiya lc , to bad it wasnt a 1936 probably fetch in the neighborhood of about 5 k . here is the address you can send it to . zippo manufacturing company 33 barbour st bradford pa 16701 phone 814-368-2700 also anyone with case knives they are highly collectable and like zippo lighters they get repaired or replaced for free . wr case & sons cutlery co 50 owens way bradford pa 16701 phone 814-368-4124 . every 2 years there is a zippo case swap meet thousands of collectors from all over the world meet trade and sell there knives and lighters , awesome event . im glad i could be any help , congrats on your find . sloany66 bradford pa

M

maxdivernc

Hi all and congrats to LC..

A few things to note, which make your "coin" kind of a mystery, is that it would seem to be Belgian, not French and neither country spelled their currency or coinage "Frank", but rather, "Franc"...I think, and I'm guessing, that you'll find out that this is a token from one of the international fairs held to promote commerce after WW1 and prior to WW2...just a guess

Regards to all,

Max

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread