Summer Vacation plans, Need Some Help! IL to Georgia

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari
Hey guys, my family's taking a vacation down to Georgia this summer from IL. Me and my dad were wondering if anyone knew of some decent spots we could try for a short hunt if we have time either in Georgia or on the way down.

We're not looking for anyone's honey hole (unless you wanted to give us one ) but if there's a chance for barbers or a stray seated it'd be great!

Also if there are any laws that we should know about while we're there, if you could please let us know it'd be greatly appreciated.

You can comment or PM me with any available info and I'll try to get back to you all! Thanks for the help!, FilthyFlyer

Upvote 0

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
FF...Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I strongly suggest you get permission from someone in the area of your destination and work private property. It would seem that everyone & his mother in GA has at least 2 'tectors! Since there were so many dustups in the state during the War Of Northern Agression, they work CW sites when they can & parks, etc. when they can't.

When I lived there in the late '60s, early '70s, we ALL kicked some serious butt on relics, old coins, rings...you name it...Old schools, parks, fairgrounds & construction sites. Lottsa open sites...few regulations. But those days are gone.

I've got a good friend...excellent MDer with 2 fine machines...Spent 7 months in the Marietta/Acworth area a coupla years ago..said he hunted at least 3-4 days a week. Pulled out over 3 quarts of clad coins, 1 dropped 3 ringer bullet, 2 small gold rings, about a dozen pieces of silver jewelry & ZERO silver coins! The good stuff just ain't being lost anymore. :(

He said he worked every "old" school, fairgrounds & park he could find in North GA.

But, it also depends on what part of GA you're gonna be in. Some of the die-hards are still slayin' the relics in the Savannah Area. Tough diggin' in the summer & my guess is private property! Bring lottsa deet!

Best of luck to y'all! :headbang:

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know about all that up there. I have been living in south georgia for 8 months and have dug over 30 silver coins, its like anywhere if you do research you can still find virgin sites 100%. Im in the thomasville ga area if your near here I could help.

OP
OP
filthyflyer39

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
We'll have to check around for private property. My uncle lives there but he's in a newer town and house, but maybe he'd know someone that has an older house. It seems like houses are usually pretty good up here too, usually get at least one oldie a try.

And thanks Nate, if we get down that way I'll make sure to let you know! We're not really sure exactly where we're going to end up so once we get more details on that i'll send you something :icon_thumright:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont be discouraged about the "early "guys gettin it all. History on this site alone has proven that NO SITE is TRULY hunted out. Hope you do well.

HH,getty

OP
OP
filthyflyer39

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Getty said:
Dont be discouraged about the "early "guys gettin it all. History on this site alone has proven that NO SITE is TRULY hunted out. Hope you do well.

HH,getty

I don't think anything is really ever completely hunted out. One of our favorite spots to go to is a place that was pounded by many people back in the 80s and 90s, but we still pull the goods out there sometimes. Just gotta get lucky and put the coil over the right spot at the right time :icon_thumright:

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Welllll...It was never my intention to imply that GA was "worked out". FF indicated they were only in a vacation mode, with limited time for research.

Certainly, no site is ever worked out, but sometimes it takes longer to get the goodies than time allotted.

And yes, I have recently had some killer days in the Valdosta Area.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression...

DR

OP
OP
filthyflyer39

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
BARGuy said:
Welllll...It was never my intention to imply that GA was "worked out". FF indicated they were only in a vacation mode, with limited time for research.

Certainly, no site is ever worked out, but sometimes it takes longer to get the goodies than time allotted.

And yes, I have recently had some killer days in the Valdosta Area.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression...

DR
We were just hoping to get in a quick hunt and maybe get lucky. We also have family down there so we might see if they know of any old houses we could try too and hope it hasn't been hit hard before. It was probably just going to be a one day thing so we wouldn't want to have to really work through too much stuff or have to locate an area where something used to be, since that could take a while. We were hopign to maybe run into a park or something that there might be a couple left to get if we were lucky. No wrong impressions made :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread