First Time Metal Detecting

etaucher86

May 27, 2011
Chambersburg, PA
So Iv been reading this forum for about a month or more, and decided I want to get into metal detecting. I found a shop ran by a very nice man that rents metal detectors, so I went an rented one. I headed down to my parents house, because theres has been around since the early 1900s, if I remember right.

So I go to my parents house and go to there front yard and start looking around, no more then 2 mins into my hunt I got a good strong signal, so I decided to dig it, but to my suprise sitting right ontop of the ground over grown by grass I see a gold ring sticking up. I get very excited and pull it out, I look at it an I see its a class ring, I then look at the name an I see my sisters name on the ring :-[. I went inside and asked them if anyone had lost a ring and my sister said she did over 1yr ago and asked why. I showed her the ring and she was very happy to get it back. I did look at the band an it was marked 10K, an she said she paid almost $300 for it, when she got it.

Point of the story Im hooked, I no this doesnt happen all the time where you go out on your first hunt and find a 10K gold ring worth $300. I did keep looking thru there yard and only found pull taps, but Im not done hunting!

Upvote 0

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great first find! You are right---that hardly EVER happens first time out.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Totally wonderful find! Your family will always cherish this day! Like you, my son & I rented a metal detector before buying one. Found a few coins our first time out and we were hooked. We would've been shouting wildly to find a gold class ring, wow! Congrats to you! Andi

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can find hundreds of more gold rings on the beaches and parks ..... also old coins and relics in the fields near the old houses.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND THIS INCREDIBLE HOBBY! :thumbsup:

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Ya I would say thats one heck of a first find, and to find the owner all in one day. Im sure she was happy. Im sure youll pull up some more goodies in that yard. :thumbsup:

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Well I love to tell you no mater what you are hooked now.
Very early in my MD ing days I was with a friend who let me use his detector. It was my first time out and he gave me the detector to see what I could do.About a half hour after he gave me the detector I found a silver rosie 1964-d > I went out and bought a new detector the next day.
Welcome to a great hobby . Welcome to T-net. Sone You will be dreaming about metal detecting . :hello2:Rob :coffee2:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first hunt and finding your sister's ring. :hello2: Welcome to the obsession...er, hobby! :icon_thumleft:

HH

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congrats on your first class ring find and return!! It only took finding a few pennies and nails to get me hooked!

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey dont forget all the farm fields out along franklin farm road
there is a lot of history in you area

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Very nice!! Congrats on your first find!!

Welcome to the obsession!! Take a ride to Gettysburg and talk to Don at Gettysburg Electronics....they don't come any better!!

Congrats again!

Dave

OP
OP
E

etaucher86

May 27, 2011
Chambersburg, PA
DKinPA said:
Very nice!! Congrats on your first find!!

Welcome to the obsession!! Take a ride to Gettysburg and talk to Don at Gettysburg Electronics....they don't come any better!!

Congrats again!

Dave

Ill have to do that sumtime, are we aloud to md in gettysburg? Cuz I thought we where not aloud to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread