My First gold coin EVER!!! (25 years of digging)

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been diggin much lately, gas prices are killing me and I've worked out all the close stuff. BUT the county high school just moved to it's big fancy new building, leaving the sport practice fields open. Until now, it's rare these fields are ever empty to go metal detecting! Now everyone's at the new facility and I have a bunch of new fields to hit ;D

Lots more can slaw than expected, but I was digging all the low end IDs for jewelry, first bit was a large necklace marked 14K, lawn mowered into dozens of bits...but it was clearly FAKE. Then I flipped over a plug, saw a nice little pendant, got the camera down for a close up, thinking it was a gold plate religious pendant...at least something to put on cam that wasn't clad...but when I picked it up I got this chill, wow that's heavy for a penny sized pendant. I could see the finely struck details through the dirt...NOT a religious pendant...coin in a bezel.

I rubbed that sucker on the spot, surely GOT to be fake...but it was obviously not fake, such fine details, intense color (it looks like it's "glowing" in the video), not a trace of corrosion...I pretty much lost it on cam.

1982 1/10 oz Krugerrand and the bezel is marked 14k. :headbang: :headbang:

25 years of diggin and my FIRST gold coin EVER. I'm pumped. Had to turn off the detector and go home...not a CHANCE I was going to be able to focus after that.

WARNING: MUCH EXCITED CURSING IN THE VIDEO:

[youtube=425,350]H0s1HNhJcYk[/youtube]

Attachments

• gf2.jpg
    gf2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6,775
  • gb2.png
    gb2.png
    240.3 KB · Views: 6,848
Upvote 0

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jim,

Peter here from South Africa..... Great find on that coin from my side of the world.... would lover to know what South African lost that one, as we do not find many coins on this side.... South Africans are tight on their coins :laughing7: you did well, pity about all the scratches though.... Kruger rands are great bullion coins.... :thumbsup:

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Some things are worth the wait Jim! Hope I find mine soon though! lol.
Yeah you got a little excited but who wouldn't have! :icon_thumright:
Banner Dude!

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy **** indeed! That coin is gorgeous! Grats on the find and the banner. And your video is top-notch too, very enjoyable.

Bet that beer tasted REAL good! :D

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Jim! Teknetics G2 is a very well rounded machine!

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: Outstanding! What a find! :headbang:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jim , congrats on the Banner ! ..... after a gold find in such good condition that is to be the following .... maybe a whole treasure ?
P.D:
Cut your hair. :wink:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet find--findin' gold jolts the system like lightnin' runnin' through the veins.

Well done!

All the best,

Lanny

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)
I propose that we change the "G" in OMG and WTG to mean "GOLD" (Oh My GOLD!, Way To GOLD! etc).
Congrats!!! :hello2:

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Congrats on your gold coin and making the banner . I enjoyed your video .Glad to see you made a great find after a long dry spell . I'm pretty much in the same spot you were in as far as making good finds .Hopefully I find something that breaks this
long dry spell I have had also . I recently picked up a T2 and really like it but I haven't went over anything exciting with it yet . :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread