Beginners luck...1787 Colonial

naturephotoz

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and just purchased my first MD 2 weeks ago. I took it out for its maiden voyage this past weekend just hoping to figure out how to identify, pinpoint and dig good targets when I got a hit I thought was going to be a quarter or half dollar. What I ended up pulling out was a 1787 Connecticut colonial coin. At first I thought it may have been just a blank as I couldn't see any details but after it dried I was able to move some of the dirt off with my hand. I posted some pictures on a coin collectors website and they have identified it as a 1787 connecticut colonial with a right facing muttonhead and a miller 1.2-C coin, with rarity at URS-10 (250-499 estimated known to exist). I never in a million years thought I would pull out a 1700's coin from the ground let alone one on the first day with the MD.

Connecticut colonial 1787  (1 of 3).jpg

Connecticut colonial 1787  (2 of 3).jpg

Connecticut colonial 1787  (3 of 3).jpg

I am excited to meet members of the forum and look forward to posting more finds in the future.

Jason

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice copper...in awesome condition as well. Should clean up nicely!

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Welcome and well done! :headbang:

BarberDan

May 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome!I would love to find a colonial...but sadly live in the midwest...lol. Congrats and keep on hunting.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! Your MD career is off to a great start! You didn't say what type of site you were on, were you thinking you might find something that old where you were hunting? I think you will find it not always so easy to find coins that old :laughing7:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice way to start off here at TreasureNet! Just wondering if this was found in a New England state?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Neil in West Jersey said:
Nice way to start off here at TreasureNet! Just wondering if this was found in a New England state?
Kind of curious too. State where found should not be too ... obvious.

OP
OP
N

naturephotoz

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Actually I live in S Central Pa but in the 1700's the northern tier of the state was part of Connecticut which might explain why it was found in Pa.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
naturephotoz said:
Actually I live in S Central Pa but in the 1700's the northern tier of the state was part of Connecticut which might explain why it was found in Pa.

It was in the 1662 that King Charles II of England signed a charter giving a strip of land in America to the inhabitants of Connecticut, and that land to stretch from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific. And then, eighteen years later, the same king signed a second charter, giving much the same land to William Penn. About 130 years before your coin arrived there. The coin just found its way, like so many other colonials, by being used for commerce.

OP
OP
N

naturephotoz

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Thanks for the info and speaking of being used for commerce since there is no denomination on the coins what or how was the coin used for commerce? Mass or were some worth more than others?

Neil in West Jersey said:
It was in the 1662 that King Charles II of England signed a charter giving a strip of land in America to the inhabitants of Connecticut, and that land to stretch from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific. And then, eighteen years later, the same king signed a second charter, giving much the same land to William Penn. About 130 years before your coin arrived there. The coin just found its way, like so many other colonials, by being used for commerce.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, it is the only topless reverse Conn, the general rarity of it converts to a Scarce variety. Very nice coin.

Don

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturephotoz said:

I hunt in Southwestern PA and find that Connecticut's are the most common of all state coppers out here. However, New Jerseys, Vermonts, and Virginia halfpennies also turn up regularly. I don't know that the Connecticut claim in Pennsylvania had too much to do with Connecticut coppers being here, I just think they circulated widely.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I think it a testament to your photography skills that the coin could be identified. Bravo!

I too would have voted banner on this find! A truly rare piece of American coinage. TNet limits such nominations until after you have a posting history, but the rarity of your piece puts it as much rarer than finding most American gold coins.

OP
OP
N

naturephotoz

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Thanks Allen and Tuberale for the kind banner remarks. So how many posts until you can be nominated for a banner? And what is a banner?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Banner finds are considered the best of the best; the creme de la creme; the metal with the most. They are the finds shown at the top of the page, and are often featured in Western and Eastern Treasures so that others can gloat over them.

So you don't want to give your life story while telling about them or mention where you live so that someone can stop by and recovery gr-gr-grandad's gold. :notworthy: :notworthy: :hello2: :hello2:

Trust us: that's probably one of the GREAT finds in your lifetime!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BarberDan said:
That is awesome!I would love to find a colonial...but sadly live in the midwest...lol. Congrats and keep on hunting.
hey I thought that too, and friday I dug a 1773 virginia half penny in OHIO!

congrats on such an awesome find!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread