Early buttons and a Chinese Cash Coin

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I have had little time for metal detecting this spring. Some spots that I have been waiting for since last fall are too grown up already to hunt :-\

But........... Saturday I explored a new spot within walking distance from our new house. I buzzed arround for a few swings and came home with a Chinese Cash Coin :thumbsup: Can anyone tell me what dynasty it is from :dontknow:

Last fall I got permission to hunt a corn field across the road from a mill site. The buttons were flying. I think the total ended up being 35. The only coin was a VERY SPENT 1806 George III Half Penny. The field was plowed a week ago, and I tried it........ Way too rough to metal detect. Today it was disc harrowed. One hour tonight gave me five more buttons and a pipe stem. One of the buttons has what looks like a "stag" on the front.
I would like one more hour on the field before the corn is planted but I dont think that I will be able to.

Thanks for lookin' VPR

Attachments

• IMG_0561_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0561_1_1.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0568_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0568_1_1.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0567_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0567_1_1.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_0570_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0570_1_1.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0574_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0574_1_1.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 0

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Hi,

The symbol on the left of the coin should be on its top. Looks like a dynasty is Chi'ng and the reign title is Chi'en Lung which means that the coin ranges between 1736- 1795 and was minted under Emperor Kao Tsung. Quite amazing how Chinese coins as old as that are so well preserved.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Some nice Early buttons :thumbsup:
I got a couple Chien Lungs, they have become easy for me to ID from that 'EZ'
looking character, congrats on the Colonial Coin :thumbsup:

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
nice stag button.
seems like there should be some more coppers there, huh?
hope you can hit the site some more in better field conditions.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tuatara said:
Hi,

The symbol on the left of the coin should be on its top. Looks like a dynasty is Chi'ng and the reign title is Chi'en Lung which means that the coin ranges between 1736- 1795 and was minted under Emperor Kao Tsung. Quite amazing how Chinese coins as old as that are so well preserved.
They were made of a pretty high grade ore, so they endured quite well.
Here in S. Korea I find them almost every time I hunt.....every weekend.
The mintmark is the most common mintmark of all that they have....which number in the several dozens.
Common coin... nice find. :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
tuatara said:
Hi,

They were made of a pretty high grade ore, so they endured quite well.
Here in S. Korea I find them almost every time I hunt.....every weekend.
The mintmark is the most common mintmark of all that they have....which number in the several dozens.
Common coin... nice find. :thumbsup:

The expert has spoken!!

JFY,the 1850's ones arent very common.....the 1700's ones are

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the replies !

One question. Does "Jacksonian button" mean that it was simply made during his presidency ? As far as the Cash Coin, kinda cool how these things seem to end up every where. This was only my second one. The first one was given to the owner of the "Orchard". It will look neat displayed with the old copper :thumbsup:

Thanks again, VPR

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:

One question. Does "Jacksonian button" mean that it was simply made during his presidency ? As far as the Cash Coin, kinda cool how these things seem to end up every where. This was only my second one. The first one was given to the owner of the "Orchard". It will look neat displayed with the old copper :thumbsup:

Thanks again, VPR
Basically yes as far as I know.Which makes them collectable to button collectors. :thumbsup: Heres a little on the jacksonian period & a Liama button sorta like yours but I think yours is a stag though. :icon_scratch:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
http://www.beltplates.com/llama.html
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/modules/jacksonian/index.cfm

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Timekiller said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:

Thanks again, VPR
Basically yes as far as I know.Which makes them collectable to button collectors. :thumbsup: Heres a little on the jacksonian period & a Liama button sorta like yours but I think yours is a stag though. :icon_scratch:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
http://www.beltplates.com/llama.html
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/modules/jacksonian/index.cfm

Thank You for taking the time to answer my questions :icon_thumleft: The button will fit well into my button display.

VPR

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds :icon_thumleft:

I found a bunch of those cash coins last year.

They say the Chinese built alot of the railroads around this way and thats why we find them..

Blaze

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly nothing wrong with those finds Packrat ! :icon_sunny: There's good reason to believe you will find some more gooduns when you do manage to hit it again ! Good luck out there ! M.R.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread