My first seated ever and I found it in my front lawn

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
have not had much if any time to swing the coil lately (pool project in backyard). I let my future uncle borrow the etrac for a bit tonight as I worked in the back. He took it to his place which has produced a few merc dimes and such lately.. He brought it back to me and I told the wife I wanted to hit one target before heading in. I hit a 12-48 12-47 and could only get it from one direction but it sounded really good when it would hit.. So I dug it and when I threw the probe in there i would hit 12-46 but still sounded really good.
I took another chunk out and bam out fell this huge chunk of silver all I could see of it was the outer edge.. I ran to the hose about 8 feet away and let the water slowly take away the dirt. No idea this thing was going to be seated (oldest thing I have pulled from the yard is a 1906 IH). I could not believe it as I started to see the stars around the outer edge of the coin. turned it over and started to see quar. dol coming from below the mud.. I literally freaked out (no really ask the wife haha). I was jumping up and down yelling at her through the window (she does not share the same excitement I do about detecting haha).. anyway on to the pic.. you can see it in the hole (after I gave it a slow rinse) just how close it was to my house.. looks like i need to tear up the crappy brick walkway and hit a bit closer to the house..

small000.png

small001.png

small002.png

small003.png

its only my third silver for the year before this the only two coins I have found of any date were the 1906 ih and a 1919 merc (yesterday). this new etrac is so amazing. I am loving every minute of this hobby!!

Neil

Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$150.00 all day long!!! great find!!! that is a dead ringer to my 76s i pulled a few months back!! MR TUFF

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My first seated ever and I found it in my front lawn AWESOME!

Great story. I wish we all had seated coins in our yards. Makes me think you can go over yours slowly when you are short on other areas and maybe pull some other keepers.

Don
HH

bennyg23

Greenie
Jan 6, 2011
North Eastern Arizona
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, Fisher F5
An absolute beauty! I'be found a merc and a few war nickles in my front yard. I expect that to change when I sale my f5 and buy the e-trac. Congrats!!

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
That's a killer coin right there! Congrats across the board for that baby!!! :icon_thumright: :headbang:
Welcome to the "found a seated in my yard" club! I posted a seated dime I pulled in my back yard and it was a huge thrill, can't imagine if it was a quarter!

OP
OP
nhagan

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
thanks all yeah it was a pretty wild find my heart was pumping as that water washed away the mud (i figured it was going to be a washington..)! I have been working on putting a pool in in my backyard and while excavating away a bunch of dirt (we had to dig out 35" of land in the back) I found an old part of a gun dated 1852 (like an old springfield musket). The part at the end of the gun where the bayonet would go. I will have to post a pic of that later as well..

Neil

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful seated quarter! I see a lot of "yard work" in your future :laughing7:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is one beautiful quarter! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: Congrats! Good luck on the rest of the yard. :icon_thumright:

HH

OP
OP
nhagan

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
dang im still all pumped here at work.. wanted to post a pic of the old musket end that I found the other night while excavating the backyard for a pool going in...

small004.png

small005.png

I dont know much about the gun but the lawn must hold some history like my neighbor has been telling me. He claims there was even a massacre where my living room sits today (around 1860)..

Neil

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the finds you are making, I would say it was time for about 8 - 10 inches of ground to be removed.....carefully....
every bit of it being gone over with a metal detector. Of course, the front walk has to come out. Search all the dirt that
has come up while digging the pool......and keep posting. You might win the title, "Most good stuff found in my own
home's lawn." And, btw, that quarter is in really nice nice condition.
Keep letting us know what is coming up out of your yards. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
nhagan

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I know for sure somewhere in the dirt which was removed there was what looked to me like a set of old rusty handcuffs or something similar used to possibly tether together horses legs.. i saw it as he was moving the dirt but he drove that skid steer like a bat out of hell and i was not about to jump in the hole while he was whipping around... I plan on going through what was removed bit by bit as I use it as fill around the yard!! I will be sure to post here whatever 'exciting' finds I pull out.

rumor has it there was an old 'inn' where my house sits back in the 1860's. there was a main stagecoach hub right through my front lawn (which probably explains all of the old relics I have been pulling in the past tons and tons of buckles of all shapes and sizes). there was even a 'massacre' that supposedly took place right where my living room is now..

Neil

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great seated quarter. Congratulations on finding such a beautiful specimen!!!
:headbang:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that is one AMAZING, beautiful, seated quarter, breath taking! CONGRATS!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread