My First Spanish Reale and oldest coin to date!! 1797 2R!!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone!!

Everyone dreams of the day of finding that first gold coin or Spanish reale...Well..today my dream finally came true! Went to a new site...not knowing what to expect...I've have been in a slump when it comes to finding old silver lately but TODAY WAS THE DAY for me and it happened only this morning!! Two hours ago!!

It was a beautiful day for detecting...and so I thought I'd check out a new site...So far this year..I've been finding many old copper coins along with only two silvers for my collection. Not knowing what to expect I began to scan an area which appeared to be along an old rock wall with my ole reliable Fisher CZ5...First two finds were a couple of buttons then I got a signal which appeared to be silver at only two inches deep. After digging, I used my Vibraprobe and it went off at around the depth my detector indicated. I put my fingers into the hole and felt the object and pulled it out..At first..I thought it was another button. Then I seen the Pillars of Hercules!! Was in a state of shock!! My first Spanish Reale!!. Turned it over and the date 1797 was on the reverse side! Also my oldest coin to date by two years!!

So here are the pics! Patience...Persistence...and Perseverance does pay off!

Newfiehunter!

Attachments

• 100_0629.JPG
    100_0629.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 1,356
  • 100_0630.JPG
    100_0630.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 1,342
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Spanish Silver! Nice looking 2 reale!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 2 reale !! :icon_thumleft: old school Fisher CZ 's like silver :headbang: :thumbsup:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest coin, and it being Silver. My oldest coin is also a silver found this year.

leafster99

Jan 7, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Deleon, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is amazing. I could only dream of finding something like that when I come to Newfoundland this August. I found my oldest coin last week here in Hamilton and it was a 1865 Victoria Penny. That's fairly old for these parts.

Congratulations!!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on a great coin. My first Rerale was also a 1797 but a one Reale that I found in the Confederate battle lines at a CW battle in Tennessee. WTG, Quindy.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Reale...congrats!!!!!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with what IP is implying. Looks to me like a contemporary counterfeit. Coin appears to be more oblong than round which would be an inication of a cft. By the way.....YOU WANT IT TO BE A CFT. AS IT WOULD CARRY MORE VALUE AS A COLLECTIBLE PIECE. CFT. 2 reales are VERY collectible and the guys' name who did the study escapes me, but I think it begins with a K. IP may know who I'm talking about. Your 2 real is in AWESOME shape if you would clean it and repost would be grat for ID purposes. If it is CFT. it may scratch or scuff easy so use light brushing and warm soapy water. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO HURT THE THING! It may contain some amount of silver but will also contain another metal or alloy such as tin. I think it's a CFT. :icon_thumright:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KLEEBURG is the guys name ......I think.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Newfiehunter said:
A quick question...How do you reduce the size of your pics on here? Would like to know!

Newfiehunter
this is getting even more interesting,
Would be the first period Spanish counterfeit i've seen :o
try to get some 'Rinsed' pix up!
Here's a resizing tool http://www.picresize.com/

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
KLEEBURG is the guys name ......I think.

Probably not this guy (Gord Nichols) but he has lots of counterfeit reales. Might be Phil Mossman you're thinking of?

http://www.counterfeitcoins.com/index.html
I think Kleeburg is the guy who has a book on CFT. 2 Real Varieties. The varieties are also named after him.

Could be, have never had any type of contact with him. I think I heard his name thrown around as a medals guy maybe. But many are into coins too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread