My First Spanish Reale and oldest coin to date!! 1797 2R!!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone!!

Everyone dreams of the day of finding that first gold coin or Spanish reale...Well..today my dream finally came true! Went to a new site...not knowing what to expect...I've have been in a slump when it comes to finding old silver lately but TODAY WAS THE DAY for me and it happened only this morning!! Two hours ago!!

It was a beautiful day for detecting...and so I thought I'd check out a new site...So far this year..I've been finding many old copper coins along with only two silvers for my collection. Not knowing what to expect I began to scan an area which appeared to be along an old rock wall with my ole reliable Fisher CZ5...First two finds were a couple of buttons then I got a signal which appeared to be silver at only two inches deep. After digging, I used my Vibraprobe and it went off at around the depth my detector indicated. I put my fingers into the hole and felt the object and pulled it out..At first..I thought it was another button. Then I seen the Pillars of Hercules!! Was in a state of shock!! My first Spanish Reale!!. Turned it over and the date 1797 was on the reverse side! Also my oldest coin to date by two years!!

So here are the pics! Patience...Persistence...and Perseverance does pay off!

Newfiehunter!

Attachments

• 100_0629.JPG
    100_0629.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 1,356
  • 100_0630.JPG
    100_0630.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 1,342
Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Great coin! super detail remains on that oldie :o
It is the BIGGEST 2 Reale I've seen :laughing7:

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A quick question...How do you reduce the size of your pics on here? Would like to know!

Newfiehunter

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to see your getting some old silver over there...keep them coming..hope to get one this year..or 2 or 3 :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you have the age there and I'm sure it won't be the last! Were your other silver that dark?

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the Spanish Reale Newf! :hello2:

Man that's a beauty! :icon_thumright:

Dave

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Ironpatch!

To answer your question. Most of the silver that comes out of the ground out here are like the day it was dropped. I haven't even rinsed this coin in water yet!! However, Newfoundland soil is very acidic. Copper coins usually are very corroded and sometimes unidentifiable when dug.

I don't think I will try to clean this coin....Like it just the way it is!

Newfiehunter

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newfiehunter said:
Hi Ironpatch!

To answer your question. Most of the silver that comes out of the ground out here are like the day it was dropped. I haven't even rinsed this coin in water yet!! However, Newfoundland soil is very acidic. Copper coins usually are very corroded and sometimes unidentifiable when dug.

I don't think I will try to clean this coin....Like it just the way it is!

Newfiehunter

Are you sure it's silver? It does appear to have some gray metal showing through so it probably is. You won't hurt it by washing the dirt off.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gwdigger said:
dwayne sueño said:
i love dark patinas on old silver.
she's a beaut!

word. i cant understand why anyone would want to clean it.

But some of what we are seeing is dirt. It depends on what is meant by cleaning.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi again Ironpatch!

Yes...I am sure it is silver!! There is silver near the edges. Actually I have found other silver coins that are blackened like that...Depending on the soil conditions...As stated before our soil is very corrosive, unlike of that is the US or Canada. That is why it is blackened the way it is. The coin is just tarnished...The coin was found in barrenlike, mossylike soil, similar to that of the tundra which is very acidic..

BTW...that is a St.John's token you have there probably from the early to mid 1800's...I can identify for you..since I have a book on Newfoundland tokens.

Newfiehunter

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newfiehunter said:
Hi again Ironpatch!

Yes...I am sure it is silver!! There is silver near the edges. Actually I have found other silver coins that are blackened like that...Depending on the soil conditions...As stated before our soil is very corrosive, unlike of that is the US or Canada. That is why it is blackened the way it is. The coin is just tarnished...The coin was found in barrenlike, mossylike soil, similar to that of the tundra which is very acidic..

BTW...that is a St.John's token you have there probably from the early to mid 1800's...I can identify for you..since I have a book on Newfoundland tokens.

Newfiehunter

Yes I thought it was silver. We can get some real dark ones here too but most are not. The salt water can do that.

I know what the token is but check it out. It's no doubt in your book but also in the Canadian token ones too. Not too many people posting finds from NFLD!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel,found my first Spanish silver about a month ago. Congrats!

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread