National Treasure review

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Saw it tonight. Good movie. The opening scene has several people using what must be Bounty Hunter detectors, because they are my exact Radio Shack detector (boo!!!) but with a different coil and I recall reading on this board that these are essentially the same detectors. Anyway, it's a movie worth seeing for detectorists and others interested in history and the lure of treasure.

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad ya liked it, Phil. I will have to check it out or wait for the dvd. I bet this movie will cause a big spike in detector sales and interest in the hobby.
It was the same for flyfishing when "A River runs through it" came out.
Man, the oldtimers griped up a storm and cursed Robert Redford and his damn movie for flooding their fav spots with all these greenhorns. :D

It will be interesting to see how much influence this flick will have. 8)

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
You are right about that. They will buy a bunch of detectors and go out, but once they realize it takes effort and energy and research to really find good stuff, there will be lots of dusty detectors sitting in closets and car trunks, though I'm sure some will stick with it.

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
I liked it but the begening scene did have some detectors and i think it kinda made detectorists look stupid cause of the sounds, they couldve just made a beep or somthing, :) anyways i gave it out of a 1 of a 10 8 or 8.5 pretty cool cause of the history and the treasure. HH CoinS

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bergie said:
You are right about that. They will buy a bunch of detectors and go out, but once they realize it takes effort and energy and research to really find good stuff, there will be lots of dusty detectors sitting in closets and car trunks, though I'm sure some will stick with it.

Exactly! 8)

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good movie. Saw it a couple of nights ago. Clever plot, but I was laughing out loud in the theater when I saw Bounty Hunters being used to find a shipwreck in the ice! Definitely worth the big screen.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I saw the movie today and I would give it a 8 on a 1-10 scale.
It is definitely worth seeing one time but not one I would buy
and watch again.

N

neil

I saw the show with my ten yr old boy. He loved the show! I liked the back lighting in the caves, that was great. Neat plot though, and really a good show for kids. I liked the beeps too. I've been diving shipwrecks for 35 yrs and loved the intact ship under the ice with dry gunpowder in kegs. Cool. It really was well done I think. I will wait for a minelab on ebay here shortly after the rush dies down. :-*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread