You gotta love tourists

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got in a little over 8 hours of beach hunting today. First I'll tell you about what I found with the detector then I'll get to the tourist part. I got to the beach just after 10 a.m. it was already pretty steamy, not much breeze. I did alot of swinging with no dinging, if you know what I mean. Then came the bottle caps,then came pulltabs, what's next, locust......no I'm kidding. The breeze picked up a little bit and a cloud or two helped out, but it was still pretty hot. I picked a cluster of coins here, a cluster of coins there. I'm talking 3 or 4 per cluster. I didn't find any jewelry(darn). I did end up with 19 quarters, 30 dimes, 12 nickels and 50 pennies for a grand total of $8.85. This blew my mind considering I was either digging bottle caps and pulltabs like crazy. I ended up with 58 pulltabs and easily double that for bottle caps. Just like last Monday I was the only MDer on the beach the whole time. Also like last Monday, I had someone ask me to find something in the water. My machine is not waterproof nor does it like saltwater. Man, I gotta get a detector I can take in the water. Now for the tourist part: As I was heading towards the exit, I see a couple carrying a stroller onto the beach. I'm almost off the beach and I see a woman's purse by a small wall near the exit. Now my first thought was that someone snatched a purse and ditched it near the wall. My second thought(I do alot of thinking ) was that this was some sort of practical joke of some sort. So after looking around for a few seconds I check the purse. There was a wallet with driver's license, platinum credit cards, that rules out purse snatching. So I take the purse to my car and put it in my trunk with my detector. I took the driver's license and headed back towards the beach. I didn't want to be seen walking around with a purse (I get enough strange looks with just the metal detector). On the way, I compared the name on the license with the names posted near the entrance to the condos near the beach. No match. I got back on the beach scanning the beach for possible matches. The woman on the license was blonde and the only blonde was the woman who was carrying the stroller onto the beach on my way out. I read the name off the license to her and she confirmed it was her. It wasn't easy to tell, the picture looked like it was taken in the 80's (BIG hair). I told her the purse was in my trunk and that I'd be right back. Her husband followed followed me out to my car. When I handed him the purse he shook my hand and told me how much he appreciated it and he headed back to the beach. I drove away with a pocket full of change and a pretty good feeling. (In case you were wondering they were from Missouri)

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good one willie...doin' the next right thing is difficult for a lot of people nowadays.

TBGO

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
Willie d, That tells me alot about you Willie...........By the way, whereabouts in missouri were they from, just curious, I am from central mo, good job on the beach.......... Nascarfan

R

realmhunter

Good job my freind. There needs to be more people like you..RH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proud to know ya Will! You did good! ;)

Nana :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going with the good deed and not a bad haul of clad! HH, Mike

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Nascarfan, I don't remember what part of Missouri she was from. I did a quick scan of the license. I can remember name, year she was born and state abbreviation.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you find better stuff when you do things like that. I know that's not the reason you do it, but I sort of look at things that way, I think some of ya'll call it karma. We were at Charleston, S.C. (down at the Battery) about 10 years ago. We were just walking around and had just got through saying we wish we had the money to stay another day or two when we looked up and there was a pocketbook sitting on a dumpster. I figured it was empty. I picked it up and it was heavy, so we looked inside and it had a wallet, mail, etc. There was a bank envelope in it that contained $3000.00 cash. And looking in the wallet there was about another $700.00 or $800.00 in $50's and $20's. Wow, we can go stay at Charleston Place and actually buy the robes this time!!! So, of course we looked for identification an sure enough there was a drivers license that had the name and address of an elderly (but albeit "rich") woman that lived in one of the row houses at the Battery. We didn't even discuss it, but went and found her address and knocked on her door. The lady whose picture was on the license came to the door (late 70's), and we asked if she was missing something, and she replied "No, not to my knowledge.." I said, "Well does this look familiar?" She about fainted, I thought she was gonna stroke out right in front of us. She was so dumbfounded that I don't even recall her thanking us. She's come in from the bank and left it sitting on the dumpster while she got something out of the trunk then forgot to get it. That's cool, we couldn't have kept it, but it was fun for 5 minutes. You can't go wrong doing the right thing.

Ramapirate

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
I like to think that there are more good people than bad...too bad we don't hear more about the good ones. WTG!!!

Dave

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great show willie d ! 8)

Extremely cool.

At the risk of sounding corny, what you did helps preserve this hobby for all of us. These PR acts of honesty will be remembered and you never know who you're helping. And too, people spread this kind of thing. Probably 100's of people will hear this story as it gets passed on from that original couple.

If every THer given this opportunity would do something like this we could spread good will to millons in a matter of a year or two.

Every action like this is a strong movement toward opening closed sites.

Well done!

Badger

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Willied,
There is an angel that follows you around and keeps track of those things you do in a book. When you die and go to meet the Lord, they crack open those books and you are rewarded for the good things you did on earth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread