VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The county where I grew up and have lived most of my life is the smallest county in Tennessee and has only one high school (that started educating young people in 1919). About five years ago, some fellow alumni organized an alumni day to be held annually at the new high school constructed in 2004. Since this is the CW 150th anniversary, one of my friends and classmates asked me to display some of my relics there. He was aware that I hunted CW relics because Dman and I have scouted his land for a lost Yankee camp that is still lost-LOL.
I am a firm believer in sharing knowledge of Civil War history with others and feel that is the obligation of all who hunt these elusive and diminishing artifacts. There are powerful groups who can and will influence legislators to oppose metal detecting by lay people because these groups feel that what we find is not shared with the general public or perceived as “destroying a historical site”. Read the article in the latest W & E magazine about the new law in South Carolina that strengthens their trespassing laws appearing to especially target relic hunters. We need to display relics and educate the general public about the history relating to our recoveries so that relic and coin hunters are not stereotyped as selfish collectors or the few who trespass, hunt for profit, and sell the relics they find (the ones who hunt and sell relics for a living have long since starved to death by now in Tennessee anyway-LOL). I strongly encourage you to show your recoveries publically at every opportunity and promote our hobby as preserving history (not destroying it) . The future of our hobby depends on it.
It was great fun renewing old friendships and seeing some of my former classmates. I spent Saturday morning showing boxes of relics to approximately 150 alumni who were especially interested in relics relating to the Battle of Hartsville site located only a couple of miles from the new high school. By the way, I received tips and permission to hunt some very promising sites where Colonial and CW relics are VERY likely to be found-saddle up Tennessee Trio!! With unseasonably hot weather, full foliage, ticks, and grass growth in Tennessee “those who can’t hunt-TEACH”-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• 6-4-11.jpg
    6-4-11.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 991
  • 2011 School Reunion !.jpg
    2011 School Reunion !.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 988
  • 2011 School reunion 2.jpg
    2011 School reunion 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 981
  • 2011 School reunion 3.jpg
    2011 School reunion 3.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 984
  • First Reunion Aluni to view relics.jpg
    First Reunion Aluni to view relics.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 976
Upvote 0
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rtde3 said:
WOW Q! Did you have to rent a U haul truck to get all that stuff there? :D
Nice looking displays sir!
I'm sure they all enjoyed seeing & hearing about all those pieces of our history!
Good Job! :thumbsup:
Thanks Rob. That's only half the relic boxes. We need to start calling you "Spiderman" after finding that cool bottle recently-LOL. HH, Quindy.

28138digger

May 16, 2011
Lexington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would have to push me away because I would be drooling on your display cases!!!Awesome :icon_thumleft:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I have seen those displays up close and they are impressive.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman said:
I have seen those displays up close and they are impressive.
You should have as you were digging relics right beside me when I found most of them-LOL. See you next week and thanks, Q.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I strongly encourage you to show your recoveries publicly at every opportunity and promote our hobby as preserving history (not destroying it) . The future of our hobby depends on it. So TRUE Quindy WEll DONE , man , you own an impressive display of Tenn. CW artifacts ! :thumbsup:

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful homage to the soldiers.
Beautifully displayed.

Born Free

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Q,
I'm proud of you old man. :icon_thumleft: Those displays look fantastic! As you know, I totally agree with getting these pieces of history out there for the public to see. Ya done well.
Those "Tenn Trio" threads are awesome! :hello2:
Great post,
Dug
P.S. If we don't get together this fall I'm cutting you out of my will. :tongue3:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice displays and finds Quindy. Stay cool my friend.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Display Quindy. I agree, the general public is fed an image of the vile relic hunter who trespasses on State Parks and robs and steals the history from the ground. This is a good way to combat that image at the grassroots level. Good Job buddy. :wink:

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great display Quindy! I have been looking into setting up a display of my relics at my dad's CW re-enactments.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice presentation Quindy. You are absolutely right about sharing the relics and the history behind them with the general public. So many people are unaware of the history in their local area. My hometown library has a presentation on display of civil war artifacts with biographies, pictures, and war records of all the men that served in the civil war from the local area which is known as the Ligonier Valley. I contributed pictures and information on my great, great, grandfather David Scully who served in the 4th Regt, Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry. I also have a model 1851 sword belt plate on display that was found on a local farm and undoubtedly belonged to one of the local veterans.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Rob, 28138digger, Dawg, Mike, Doug, Born Free, MM, Randy, Josh, Bill J., Colleen, RR3, and Steve for taking time to reply.
Men from both sides suffered terribly during the war and endured many hardships. The next time you go hunting during the winter and you go to your vehicle when the cold rain starts, think about soldiers who were ordered to stand picket duty during the war. They didn't have Gore Tex clothes or usually not even any cover or allowed to build fires when the enemy was near. I'm sure they endured many long, cold, rainy nights.
The very LEAST I can do to acknowledge the sacrifices of all CW Soldiers is to display their relics, educate people about the war, write articles (including the CW book I wrote in 2003) and do whatever I can to make sure their devotion is never forgotten. HH, Quindy.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice display. It would have been good to have some media coverage on this. The more we are viewed by the public in a positive way the better.

Keep up the good work!

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow
really nice displays Quindy.
Good job on those!
Seabiscuit

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Very nice display. It would have been good to have some media coverage on this. The more we are viewed by the public in a positive way the better.

Keep up the good work!
There was one local newspaper represented there and they made pics. Thanks TAH for looking and HH, Quindy.
Seabiscuit said:
really nice displays Quindy.
Good job on those!
Seabiscuit
Thanks Floyd. I'm sure you have dug a lot more relics and old coins than I have out there and I'm certain you really appreciate the associated history. HH, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions