1859 Indian Head

D

doyboy

I decided to get out today to the large park in town. So, I pulled in and got my detector out. I walked a little off of the road into the grassy area. I set my "Gain" control, tuned my "Threshold," and ground-balanced my machine. Now, this is no joke, after my machine was properly ground-balanced, I received a "promising" signal (1 second of total detecting time :o). The signal was reading mainly at a 32-34 V.D.I., but it tended to "jump" up to 48-50 once in awhile. It pinpointed at 3.5", so, I got down to dig it up. After I was down about 4", I stuck my Vibra Probe in the hole and got the target. That was when I noticed a green coin in the hole . I plucked it out of the hole and looked at it. It turned out to be an 1859 Indian Head (my 3rd IH from this park)! This is my 1st "Fat-Boy" Indian Head penny! I found this coin at an area in the park where many detectorists since the 70s have "hit" to death. I can't wait until I get my new Blue Max 4 X 6 DD coil. I ordered it this week. I hope that it can pick between the "trash" easier, so I can get the other good coins. Yes, Zoyboy, "The Bandstand" area :D!

After I got the coin, Peter the Civil War Historian/Veteran Metal Detectorist, decided to stop by to "Shoot the S***." I talked to him for about 20 minutes and he got on his way. I only detected for about 10 minutes, but since the heat was a killer, I decided to go home to the AC.

I now have 38 Indian Heads this year. One step closer to my goal of 50!

I only posted the back of the coin (the date is not readable). There is no Shield on the reverse, so, that indicates it is an 1859! HH!

Attachments

• 1859 Indian Head.jpg
    1859 Indian Head.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 496
Upvote 0
S

skydiv

2 years of hunting and i'm still looking for my first one.

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
Super job! We'll have to start calling you Chief. Not sure what it is about them, but IH's can be tricky to ID. The new coil should help. Hope you hit the 50 mark.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
What, doyboy, is it now going to always be "the bandstand"? Miss Attitude, Kev, Blitz, and I have heard it many times: "Yeah, guys, all of these coins were found at the garden."

Dream on, doy doy.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!, Great Job. What detector do you use and where in the U.S. are you?

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow doyboy nice find. i wanna hunt with you sometime, you find alot of nice things

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice doyboy.

Those fatties are fun to find. They love to read low 30's on the dfx and other white's units.

HH Jer

OP
OP
D

doyboy

I use a White's Pro-XL. It is a great machine with great controls. I'm from PA. My area is loaded with history.

My uncle, Blitz, and Zoyboy are calling me the "Dump-Digger." They are refering to me digging those "TABS" readings; I said, "Thanks for leaving those 2 and a half dollar gold pieces for me! " They tell me that I am wasting my time, ha ha, I can't wait to see their faces when I come back with a gold coin in my hand .

My advice: dig those 28-36 VDI readings. One never knows what they will unearth. By digging those low readings, I have found an 1853 3-cent silver piece, an 18K gold ring, and an 1859 Indian Head. I hope the next one will be a gold coin, or a Flying Eagle cent .

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread