ace 250 problem found!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Was wondering why i havent found any silver yet after a few months of detecting. I burried a dime in the ground, 4 inches deep and swept my coil over it. It beeped only 3 times on the iron tone and then stopped beeping. :-[ Why? It was on full sensitivity, does this mean that i have to dig every trash target now? sigh... Thanks

PS My sensitivity is on, yes, the batteries are full, and yes, the coil wire is fully connected. I tried everything!

-CC

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
There are 8 bars in the sesensitivity meter, I hunt with only the 4 bars. You probably don't need to have the sensitivity up that high. Hope that helps.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
maybe there is something wrong with the machine. mine has no trouble finding a dime at more than 4 inches.

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
as 2 others have already implied ... sensitivity should be at about 3-4.

My ACE250 has no problem finding dimes at 4 inches when set at that level.

BONG !! BONG !! Makes you want to say, "Come in, the door is open"

;D

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I have the Ace 250 also. I keep it set a 3 bars and have no problem at all finding silver...as a matter of fact I found a nice Sterling Silver ring today buried about 4 inches deep. I'll post a pic. of it in a new thread in a bit...

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not an Ace owner but I couldn't help overhearing your conversation.

4-5 inches on a dime is pretty standard for most metal detectors. In fact that's really quite good. My DeLeon ($470) is a killer coin getter and it only does about 4 to 5 inches on a dime. That's about what my Minelab Excalibur ($1100) got too.

A dime is a mighty small target. Although I do think long-time buried dimes can be detected deeper (maybe a couple inches more).

Sorry to butt in ::)

Badger

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks everyone! I useually have my sensetivity at 6 bars... maybe i should tune it down to 4 thanks. Badger! Your not butting in at all! Lol... ::)

-CC

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
HMM ::)

Could be my Ace problem, too, Coolcash. I was advised to run at 6-7 bars and "go for the deep ones". Well, I don't find dimes or quarters hardly at all & most people I know with Ace's vacuum them up.

Gonna try the 4 bars and stay with it for awhile and see what happens.

Thanks for the topic, Coolcash ;)

Dick

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange how different people have different results with the same equipment. I have found more nickels with my ACE than with any of the 4 detectors I have! In a club hunt recently I found a silver dime at nearly 9" with my ACE set on 4 bars! It was a prize coin also. :D I wouldn't take twice what I paid for my ACE250! Monty

G

gossunc

My 250 also vacuums up quarters...also pulled up a Merc from 6+ inches down which is said was a quarter (halo effect?).

Goose

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
My 250 is a coin eater. It tells me the difference between a nickel and a pulltab, even though I dig both. Dimes are a shoo-in. Don't turn your sensitivity up as high.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey CC, i have the same problem with my Garrett 750, it can't go deep. In my 4 years MD'ing, i have found only two silver coins, one of which was a fluke. The only way you can get at the old stuff is to go to other areas where coins don't sink as fast. People here have found Indians at three inches. also, you can MD construction sites or river beds for the old stuff two. (PS i do advise that you still dig every iffy signal)

HH
-GC

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am thinking of buying the Ace 250. How is it with gold?

D

doyboy

It is NOT your Ace 250 on this. After burying a Half dollar in my backyard, I could not get the tone with my Pro-XL, but that was due to the abscence of a Halo effect. I used to own a 250 and I found a lot of silver dimes. Most of them were at 4", too.

suzyqdogs

Jul 4, 2005
Hi everyone!

Digginman, I have the 250 as well. How does it tell you the difference between a nickel and a pull tab other than on your controls?

Thanks for your help

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks everyone. Goldencoin, why are riverbeds a good place to try? Someone else mentioned that to me once but i never got around to trying it, does the flow of the water prevent items for sinking? Also, what are some other good places where coins dont burry fast? Thanks for your help.

-CC

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, since we are talking about our ACEs, I have found that asolid penny and a dime often overlap if the penny is a little deeper that a couple of inches. Also, a dime, a quarter and silver all overlap. For some reason the dime causes multiple dings on mine while a quarter is strictly a two ding repeatable signal. A silver object rings up like a dime so if it ain't a dime it is a silver earring or silver coin. A couple of gold rings that I have found bounces from foil to a nickel and a pulltab. I can't distinguish between an old bent pull tab and a nickel as they both ring up as a nickel. New whole pull tabs come in under the pull tab icon. A zinc penny may come in about anywhere from the middle of the graph to the penny icon. Canslaw dings in all over the right half of the scale and bounces back and forth like a ping pong ball from penny to half dollar depending on its size. Of course iron based artifacts all ring up on the far left side of the scale. Just wondering if everyone has the same reaction from their machine? Monty

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Monty said:
Well, since we are talking about our ACEs, I have found that asolid penny and a dime often overlap if the penny is a little deeper that a couple of inches. Also, a dime, a quarter and silver all overlap. For some reason the dime causes multiple dings on mine while a quarter is strictly a two ding repeatable signal. A silver object rings up like a dime so if it ain't a dime it is a silver earring or silver coin. A couple of gold rings that I have found bounces from foil to a nickel and a pulltab. I can't distinguish between an old bent pull tab and a nickel as they both ring up as a nickel. New whole pull tabs come in under the pull tab icon. A zinc penny may come in about anywhere from the middle of the graph to the penny icon. Canslaw dings in all over the right half of the scale and bounces back and forth like a ping pong ball from penny to half dollar depending on its size. Of course iron based artifacts all ring up on the far left side of the scale. Just wondering if everyone has the same reaction from their machine? Monty

You pretty much described it Monty.

( other than an occasional problem with the pinpoint feature )

The ACE250 is like any other MD in the respect .... take the time to LEARN your machine.

Best $200.00 I ever spent. ;)

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
suzyqdogs said:
Hi everyone!

Digginman, I have the 250 as well. How does it tell you the difference between a nickel and a pull tab other than on your controls?

Thanks for your help

Hi suzyqdogs,

I usually hunt in relic mode, even on playgrounds. I don't know why, but my machine will not toggle between a nickel and a pulltab. It locks on one, and 99% of the time it's right. I have heard the belltone on some nickels, but not all. That's why I dig them all.

Not much help, I know. I really have no idea why mine does this. Maybe, I'm just really lucky.

DM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread