2006 penny 1 foot deep?

P

Pirates Keep

I was out with my small detector and it got a signal that was a little over 1 foot deep. I though it might be a relic or old coin or something. To my suprise it was a 2006 penny.
This is very odd. What would a 2006 penny be doing 1 foot in the ground?
Maybe some people who know people detect in that area buried it just to tick someone off. But the ground was pretty hard when I was digging it out.

This is just very odd.

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it have been in the side of the hole and then fell to the bottom making you think it was that deep?

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
P

Pirates Keep

Hmm... that could be it. I dont pinpoint with my detector so it I could of been digging in the wrong spot and it wiggled into my hole. I dont know but that could be it.

C

Charles Miller

A week or so back I was sweeping with my Tesoro around one of my cellar doors, got a moderately deep hit (about 5 inches), and dug up the brass fittings of an old oil lamp --- knowing the age of the house is 90 years, the lamp parts probably date to the 1920s or there-abouts. However, in the same hole, right next to the old lamp bits, there was also a heavily oxidized 1994 copper penny. Both at the same depth. A puzzler.

???

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats common in areas that have been worked or have had some sort of construction ....now for finding it a foot deep thats great, what type of machine were you using??? HH

OP
OP
P

Pirates Keep

Ya, I think the first poster (sorry forgot name) is right. I went to check the whole again and found 2 more pennys, 03 and 06 in the same spot exept about 1 centimeter down.

OP
OP
P

Pirates Keep

Lol, thats a wierd thing too. My detector is wal-mart brand. National Geografic or something. I was suprised it detected something that deep.

C

Charles Miller

Wal-Mart carries Bounty Hunter MDs, for sure, I was just there a half-hour ago. Didn't see any others.

OP
OP
P

Pirates Keep

Its definitely not a bounty hunter. Its from national geographic. It docent have its own like "name" or anything.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're digging pennies 12 inches deep you're using a Nautilus IIB. I dug a shotgun shell brass 10 inches deep today and the signal blasted loud and clear. They use these down south and dig eagle buttons 17 inches deep.

How does a 2006 penny get that deep? Somebody buried it or natural forces came into play.

Badger

D

doyboy

That was one hell of a "sink-rate." No way a coin got that deep.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, the Beep got it. I have dug a lot of holes that I have noticed that by digging the hole I have pushed the coin on edge right on the side of the hole.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I have an older Bounty Hunter that loves to beep on deep. Have found several coins,shotgun shells and the crushed pop can etc over a foot deep. I will often take the Bounty hunter when I know the finds are going to be deep ,just to be able to locate them. Cheyenne dug a hole over four feet deep just to find an iron cant hook and a safe door. Both under three feet.I tested it and put a quart size paint can in a fence hole I was digging and it had no problem hitting it at two feet. I have also dug up pipes at 2 feet with it,of course always thinking I was hitting a gold stash.

As for finding newer coins deep, I always blame it on fill dirt/top soil being dumped over old foundations etc and not because they sank.

OP
OP
P

Pirates Keep

I seriously have no clue how the coin got that deep and how my detector could detect something that deep. Maybe it was like a "good" glitch or something.
I probably knocked the coin into the whole. But another thing is if that happened, what did it detect?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread