What started as a Whites day ends with a Cowboy nailing a FANTASTIC Indian

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
Hey all

The hunt today started with me taking my new M6 out for a stroll.
I went to the same place I've pulled a 1899 Barber half, 1854 with arrows
Seated Half dime, 1906 Barber Dime, 1917 Mercury Dime and a few Indians.

Me being the proud new owner of a M6 I just had to try it out.

Well....After one and a half hours of sheer frustration because of the ground conditions. I just had to admit defeat as the M6 could not maintain a usable ground balance no matter what I tried with it. As a matter of fact I was pretty darned insane and out of patients. I'll be the first to concede that it may be my utter lack of experience with this detector that was the problem and not the detector itself. Seeing my frustration my lady felt bad for me and asked me if I wanted to use my Vaquero. She wasn't having much luck and was taking more and more smoke and water breaks so I said sure.

Taking the Vaquero from her felt like saying hi to a long lost friend. "Hi" I told my long time Pal...and the Vaquero said...."shut up dork and dig here"...I said okey dokey and upon getting down to about 4" and hitting about a 5" pine tree root ...There on top of the root sat a coin all dirty and nasty. I could see it was an Indian but being so covered in filth there was no date to be seen.

I told the woman to pack everything up I was done for the day. I had promised her that we would leave if I found one good coin and was keeping my promise. We came back to the house and I decided to find out what I had so I gave it a few minute bath and OMG will you look at this coin.

Tell me that isn't a Fancy 5...

They are still out there....Sometimes ya just need an old friend to help point you in the right direction.

HH
Gary

Attachments

• RSCN1973.JPG
    RSCN1973.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 732
  • RSCN1967.JPG
    RSCN1967.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I don't know about the 5 but it sure is in fantastic condition! congrats

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet coin in great condition!!! Did you find it outside the mints door ;D Congrats :icon_thumright:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I had to check out this thread... sounded like a very interesting story from the headline - but alas, my initial thoughts were incorrect :-).

Nice find!

OP
OP
Gary66

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
I'm re-posting this answer about the title from another forum where someone mentioned the thread name and I explained it a bit better. :icon_thumleft:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received two Whites detectors in the last three days and today started a weekend where I put down my Tesoro Vaquero and grabbed the new ones to give them a run. It has been awhile since I've used anything but a Tesoro and was looking forward to it. It wasn't so much me wanting another brand but because she loves the Vaquero and I was more than happy to give it to her and get something else.

I had only brought the M6 and the Vaquero

That soil next to the train tracks has soooooo much crazy mineralization the Auto Track just couldn't keep up. Underneath my Depthmaster 2001 earcups it sounded like a war. I would use the Vaquero to find a clean spot in AM then set up the GB on the M6...Nothing changed. I tried Auto...Auto Off after setting it up...Same....in Salt mode....Same. "OH and here's another good one" The M6 is 15khz...the Vaquero 14+....Guess who couldn't hunt very close to each other. Anyway...

I tried hunting in Tone...crazy noises...I mean I did find two clad dimes with it today so it was working. I had the sensitivity down as low as two trying to figure out a way to get this thing to stay stable for any length of time but it just wasn't happening. So I gladly accepted her offer.

The way I see it..

She doesn't let me down...My Tesoro Vaquero doesn't let me down and This yard hasn't let me down "yet". (Ha Ha) I'm thinking this M6 may need to find a new home and I'm going to buy her a new Vaquero and a Propointer.

I've not hit gold nor broke the 1700's on this property yet but I'm getting closer. There was a building that was about 75' long and 25' wide...One end was a post office and the other a general store. It sits on the railroad and
was the only store in town. All the silver so far has been found closer to the post office door than the store side.

I got the IH way over on the other side of the yard as I was trying to find cleaner ground to trouble shoot the instability issue. My Treasure Cowboy nailed the Indian right after she handed it back to me. And right after me reaching down, turning off and handing her the Whites.

I think the title kinda tells a true story...don't you?

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask someone how to setup the Whites. I've owned several of them. They are good machines.....they don't make junk. And,
being made in Oregon, they are made to hunt in very mineralized areas.
Maybe you got one bad one. Don't just throw it away. AND....I've never hunted with the Vanquero. So, not badmouthing
it. Have hunted with several of the Whites.....they are good machines.
Whatever.....whichever you choose, best of hunting to you and the misses. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread