2 pound Civil War cannonball? Old Mexican mortar and pestle?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
My uncle gave me this today. He said he bought it at a yard sale in Texas back in the late 60's for .25 cents. Hope this cannonball isn't a replica - because then I would look really stupid posting about it... There is a line running through the middle as seen in the pic, but it is far from perfectly round.

cannonball.jpg

I also got an old Mexican-looking mortar and pestle made out of lava rock. This piece came from the same Texas yard sale. I wish I could have been there - my uncle said the folks sold a Ford Mustang with 4 flat tires for $50.00 LOL! Uncle paid .50 cents for this. They still use these things today to smash up corn for their delicious flatbread. Yum... These are readily available today mass produced, but I think this piece was probably hand made due to its irregular shape, but I could be wrong.

pestle2.jpg

pestle1.jpg

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't be sure from the photo but it likes a grinding steel ball. (1 of many in a ball Mill set up)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excessive pecking, as seen on this ball, usually points to a grinding ball. Is there a sprue mark?

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
OH NOES NOT TEH GRINDING BALL!

You can see a seam at the widest circumference, but I cannot find a spure mark - there is a flatter part along the seam that looks like it may have been ground down.

Hopefully I'll have better luck w/the molcajete.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
That ground down area is your sprue mark. Ball mill ball. And the dish looks like some that the occasional Mexican restaruant serves salsa in. As you said, still made, still used, and still interesting. Now you can grind your own. Hot sweet corn tortillas, just off the griddle. MMMmmmmm. And worth .50 anytime. Well done, Uncle.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Just looked it up. According to my chart, there were no 2pdr solid shot. l pdr is 1.95 inches and 3-Pdr is 2.84 in at 3.05 lbs. Grape shot closest is 1.8 lbs for 2.36-2.40 in and 2.4 lbs for 2.6-2.64 inches. The heaviest canister solid iron ball is 1.4 lbs. Should match exactly for these specs if it is a cannon ball.

The guy in the antique shop was trying to sell mill balls as cannon balls, and was dismayed when I measured his offerings. Didn't change the sign, though.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Thanks for the info.

The "cannonball" is definitely a bust, as it weighs in right at 2 pounds. :(

The molcajete is 100% good though... I brought the thing to my local taqueria and I was told in broken English that is authentic. The lady said her grandmother used one much like it. This thing is made out of basalt. The cheaper ones made for the tourist trade can be made of pumice or concrete. This one is the real deal and "seasons" like a black iron skillet. The other ones are mainly used as display pieces or yard art. This one is both authentic and functional so I am pleased with it.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Then one should get it functioning, grasshopper, as fresh, hand patted tortillas make the world a better place to be with just a few more butterflies, rainbows after every storm, and warm friendly kittens.

I have seen the basalt ones, but this one looks different. Can't be granite? I suppose there could be lava with bits of color (porphory?) . Cool anyway you look at it. Corn grinder (can't remember the Spanish word Masa Harina?) $22.99, gift from the uncle, priceless.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I think the camera flash made it look more grey, but it really looks black. I believe this is the "porous" type of basalt, which is a type of lava rock - just not the pumice that will grind into sand and infect your tortillas.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Yes, I can see how the flash would make the basalt look strange. Pumice??? Unthinkable! I am not even sure it would survive corn alone. And the damage pumice would do to your teeth. Doubtful, but if your uncle was toothless...........Now, do you have a good recipie for salsa? Last time I was in No. Georgia, it seemed like the number of mexican restaurants had increased dramatically, and there were even a number of tiendas and mercados. Don't think you will have any problem, but if you grow your own tomatos, onions, cilantro, and perhaps some green chili (Mmmmm--Hatch Chili!) then you are ready to make your own tortillas and salsa. Invite me down.

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
Can't tell the size of the "cannon ball" but unless it has a hole for a fuse it is definitely not a "cannon ball". IT might be round shot or case shot which was fired from a cannister usually at charging cavalry. Also, the used such munitions aboard ship to destroy sails and masts, spars etc.

The Flood city Kid

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Ok, maybe my terminology is bad, but I did use the word "shot" a couple of times! I am quite new to this thing, and am trying to learn from those that know their stuff. I will try not to use the words cannon ball and solid shot interchangeably. Makes me sound like a tourist or something.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
High Plains Digger said:
Now, do you have a good recipie for salsa? Last time I was in No. Georgia, it seemed like the number of mexican restaurants had increased dramatically, and there were even a number of tiendas and mercados.Invite me down.

Oh yeah... We have plenty of the festive Latinos here, but they may be fleeing now that we passed that new "Arizona-esque" law. The place I took the Molcajete makes the absolute BEST torta in the world. They bake all their bread fresh. You are welcome in Georgia anytime.

shadeux

Sep 10, 2016
Fordland Missouri
Detector(s) used
garrett ace400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my story and I am sticking to it. I found a metallic orb, dia 2.4 inches, weight 2.3 lbs. I cleaned it in vinegar and wire brush, did not get to surface (cautious). I believed it to be some type of projectile. I searched civil war cannons and what it could be, shot putt (to small), a large bearing, couldn't determine. I took it to Wilsons creek battlefield,MO and was informed my find is a mill ball used in mills (similar to mill stone). I am still happy with it, whatever it is, I ain't never found it before

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions