Counterfeit 14th century Bohemian "silver"

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)
Counterfeit 14th century Bohemian "silver"

Hord of counterfeit early 14th century silver Prague groschen, found today in the Zemplén mountains of Eastern Slovak Republic. These are actually copper coins gilded with silver--two small chunks of silver were found in the same hole. They're not valuable, but it was really exciting to dig!!!
Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_groschen

Attachments

• 20110612c.jpg
    20110612c.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 20110612d.jpg
    20110612d.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 20110612b.jpg
    20110612b.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 20110612a.jpg
    20110612a.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,045
Upvote 1

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Counterfeit 14th century Bohemian "silver"

:hello:

Welcome to Treasure Net :hello:

How do you know they are copper based :icon_scratch: they show no signs of the copper leaching out, which is what you would get with coins that had been buried that long :icon_scratch: they look Pure Silver to me :help:

Super find :headbang:

SS

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver searcher is right they are not leeching like copper would being in the ground that long unless of coarse you cut one in half I would send a couple off to be tested and authenticated... Wow imagine your excitment if the test cam back and they was authentic coins....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome :hello:

We need details?

In the mountains? A cave? or in the ground? or in a pot or?

Are they 14th C counterfiets or more modern?

Must have been an exciting find, whatever they are :hello2:

OP
OP
drgeorge

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)

Silver Searcher said:

How do you know they are copper based :icon_scratch: they show no signs of the copper leaching out, which is what you would get with coins that had been buried that long :icon_scratch: they look Pure Silver to me :help:

SS
Most of the coins found DO have leaching--that's why I assume they're counterfeit (see pic.)! All but two pieces were dug-up in a one-square-meter area (these first two "led" us to the others!). We plan to return to the site in the near future with a more "serious" detector.
Actually we were searching for a WW2 battlefield (and found it--this was overshadowed by the coins though!!).

Attachments

• DSC00221.JPG
    DSC00221.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 996
OP
OP
drgeorge

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)

CRUSADER said:
Welcome :hello:

We need details?

In the mountains? A cave? or in the ground? or in a pot or?

Are they 14th C counterfiets or more modern?

Must have been an exciting find, whatever they are :hello2:
I found these in the ground. The first two at about 4-5cm depth, the rest were at 20-25cm. The Garrett really squealed!!!!! Supposedly this was the type of coin that in the middle ages was very often counterfeited! Thanks everybody!!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

drgeorge said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
Most of the coins found DO have leaching--that's why I assume they're counterfeit (see pic.)! All but two pieces were dug-up in a one-square-meter area (these first two "led" us to the others!). We plan to return to the site in the near future with a more "serious" detector.
Actually we were searching for a WW2 battlefield (and found it--this was overshadowed by the coins though!!).
Are you reffering to the Black on the coins :icon_scratch: if so, that is Silver oxide and is how most Silver coins come out of the ground. If the coins had been copper based, they would have green leeching from them. A simple way to test them, is apply a little bleach to one of the coins, if it goes black..they are silver, the bleach will do no harm :icon_thumleft:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
drgeorge said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
Are you reffering to the Black on the coins :icon_scratch: if so, that is Silver oxide and is how most Silver coins come out of the ground. If the coins had been copper based, they would have green leeching from them. A simple way to test them, is apply a little bleach to one of the coins, if it goes black..they are silver, the bleach will do no harm :icon_thumleft:

SS
But being plated silver they would go black, so still might be counterfiet

U

umrgolf

Wow, great find.. They sure look real from here, but I've been wrong before ;D

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
drgeorge said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS
Yes that's true :P but you don't get the same result, the colour is totally different, and if these coins haven't been cleaned, which they look not to have been, the green core would have been through by now.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
drgeorge said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS
Yes that's true :P but you don't get the same result, the colour is totally different, and if these coins haven't been cleaned, which they look not to have been, the green core would have been through by now.

SS

They definately look the best plated coins (if thats what they are), I've seen. Maybe the dry?? soil conditions or :dontknow: Don't have any experience of these, but if plated, they used plenty of silver. Maybe there is something obivious we are missing, because we don't find either the real ones or the counterfiet :icon_scratch:

I totally agree, we would expect much more green :thumbsup:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe I'm missing something. :icon_scratch: But if you know the weight of them why not weigh them and see first.Copper does not weigh as much as silver first big clue I would think. :wink: If the size is correct then see no problem.Your own link tells how much they should weigh.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting - I see some of these coins show signs of ordinary circulation wear, but others are really fine condition - this leads me to believe two things; copper should be showing through the worn spots if they were fakes and counterfeit coins in a hoard like this should all be fairly uniform as it would be unlikely to remove only fakes from use at various stages of wear? Nuggy

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Counterfeit, but I bet it was exciting to dig! I think they look great. To me, I would be happy to own them even though they are counterfeit. Any idea when they were made?

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030

Great finds!!! :icon_thumright:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

Great finds even if they are period counterfeits. Best counterfeits I've seen come out of the ground :icon_thumright: nice workmanship on them.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MKnTenn said:
Counterfeit, but I bet it was exciting to dig! I think they look great. To me, I would be happy to own them even though they are counterfeit. Any idea when they were made?
On what do you base your ridiculous assumption on...the picture ::) do you actually no what Silver Coins that old look like ???

SS

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm with everyone else on this: these coins look like solid silver. Black on silver is common even for coins that have only been in the ground 30-40 years. The absence of any green patina would lead me to believe there is no copper in them.

I would bring them to a coin expert. If you cannot find a coin expert and one of the coins is beat up pretty badly you could always cut a small piece off of one and check the consistency of the metal throughout the coin as a last resort.

Please keep us posted. It is a very interesting find. I hope they are real. If they are, then I'll nominate you for the banner!!!

VegasTattoo

Greenie
Mar 7, 2011
Indiatlantic, FL

something seems a little fishy about this... And I would not jump to the conclusion that they are counterfeit... lots of ways to determine if they are or are not... Plus if they are period counterfeits then they are still super cool in my book

OP
OP
drgeorge

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)

Okay everybody! Thanks for all the posts and constructive criticism!!!
After taking a closer look at some of the coins, I'm leaning toward the non-counterfeit side. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I scratched a couple of them while anxiously excavating--there is no underlying copper where scratched!!!!! Ergo....... :headbang:
Off they go to a very secure place :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread