Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner, Buck and I were off west of here about 30 miles and found an old homeplace that we obtained permission to hunt. We found several interesting artifacts that could date the area to the Civil War or a little earlier. One item was an Eagile I button.

The most interesting thing is this brass device. Our thoughts are that it is a fighting ring. Wear with the shield facing up it looks like an ordinary ring, spin it around with the horns pointing up and you have a one finger brass knuckle.

Anyone ever seen one of these? Haven't been able to locate anything like it in my CW artifact books or an on line search. Perhaps using the wrong search term and it doesn't come up.

Attachments

• Brass-Item.jpg
    Brass-Item.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 525
  • Brass-Item-2.jpg
    Brass-Item-2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 532
  • Brass-Item-3.jpg
    Brass-Item-3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 544
Upvote 0

forcerecon

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2008
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Protek I
I believe what you have found is part of a candlestick holder,it is the place that you put your finger through and your thumb goes on the flat spot of the ring.The spurs on the other side were once attached to the holder.I have found a few of these in civil war camps and battle sites and believe your assessment of the civil war time period to be correct.Thanks for sharing your find with us and happy hunting.
Forcerecon

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup candlestick handle...found a few the same...had me thinking too the first time I found one

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
without anything to determine the size i was thinking part of an oar lock from a row boat but i can see the candlestick connection now. interesting find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions