Wheatie Cache with Silver!

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
On April 27, 2011 our small town was hit by an f5 tornado. We had major damage to our house. But luckily our insurance has paid us very well. And even better I am doing all the repairs.
This pic is looking southeast. My house is in the upper right corner.

tornado1.jpg

We had went over to my wife's elderly relative whose house was destroyed and helping him find some of his things. We found this cast iron horse.

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

He said it wasnt his so we just put it on the back porch. We had forgot about it because we have been so busy with clean up and repairing our house. My wife cleaned up the back porch Sunday and reminded me of it. I picked it up and realized how heavy it felt. I shook it and it rattled. I figured it was just dirt in it. Because 200+ mph winds can put dirt in strange places. Then I realized it was a coin bank! I could see the coin slot in the back. What would be the odds of finding old coins in it?

DSC00192.jpg

So I took the screw out and to my amazement, I found a 1963 memorial cent, 42 wheat cents and a 1943-D mercury dime. My wife thinks it might have belonged to her cousin who passed away in the early 60's at the age of 15. She thinks it may have been in the barn that was destroyed in the tornado.

DSC00195.jpg

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I couldn't even imagine the devestation and loss with something like that.I take it everybody is OK.Nice recovery's and Prayer's for the Family,I'm sure there's more to recover.Best of Luck :icon_thumright:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I recon your Mrs. is on the money Alabamared.Those powerful winds cause a lot of trouble for folks.The tornado that hit Springfield Mass. bout a week ago.I have personally never witnessed such devastation you just have to see it first hand.Started out going to look for uprooted trees to MD,I ended up driving through the worst hit,it was so sad to see what this did to peoples lives.Turned around and went home.Hope youns are all ok.That is some NICE treasure youns got there folks that horse is a looker now I,m tellin ya!GOD BLESS ,Chris

OP
OP
AlabamaRelic

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
civilman1 said:
I couldn't even imagine the devestation and loss with something like that.I take it everybody is OK.Nice recovery's and Prayer's for the Family,I'm sure there's more to recover.Best of Luck :icon_thumright:

All my family is okay. But many of my relatives and neighbors lost everything they owned. We had over 200 people killed in Alabama that day. 26 in our town of 1000.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May God protect you soon ..... :thumbsup:
His house was made of wood? :icon_scratch:
H

OP
OP
AlabamaRelic

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
HISPAN said:
May God protect you soon ..... :thumbsup:
His house was made of wood? :icon_scratch:
H

His house was built of wood. It wouldn't have made a difference though. The wind was over 200 miles per hour.

This video was filmed just over a mile north of our house.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your losses and your areas losses!! :'( This too shall pass, God bless !! :icon_thumleft:
Happy for your gain of insurance and wheat pennies and merc, doing the work yourself will save a bundle !! :headbang:

All the best !! :notworthy:
Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

OP
OP
AlabamaRelic

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Sorry for your losses and your areas losses!! :'( This too shall pass, God bless !! :icon_thumleft:
Happy for your gain of insurance and wheat pennies and merc, doing the work yourself will save a bundle !! :headbang:

All the best !! :notworthy:
Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Thanks

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AR, congrats on the find. I'm sure that means a lot. A tornado takes no prisoners and I am still amazed at the power they punch as you show. Everyone who lives in the South (and almost all over the U.S. anymore) will experience damage or know someone who sustained damage from one in their lifetime. Glad you and your family survived. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
AlabamaRelic

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
VOL1266-X said:
AR, congrats on the find. I'm sure that means a lot. A tornado takes no prisoners and I am still amazed at the power they punch as you show. Everyone who lives in the South (and almost all over the U.S. anymore) will experience damage or know someone who sustained damage from one in their lifetime. Glad you and your family survived. HH, Quindy.

Thanks

DEGreen

Jun 21, 2006
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett ADS-6
Alabamared
I am sorry for the losses of You and all in the path of the tornado. I live in Russellville and have seen the devastation first hand. I, as you, lost some friends to the storm. Great Little Treasure.
Wishing you and yours well
Darryl Green

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
blessings on all who lost...
Saw the devastation from last years tornado here in NH,
Never thought it would happen.
nice bank Find :thumbsup:

OP
OP
AlabamaRelic

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
DEGreen said:
Alabamared
I am sorry for the losses of You and all in the path of the tornado. I live in Russellville and have seen the devastation first hand. I, as you, lost some friends to the storm. Great Little Treasure.
Wishing you and yours well
Darryl Green

We are working on getting our house fixed up. This weekend we are having our annual festival. But this year it's tornado relief.

http://imwithphil.com/

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a bad day and I hope to never see another like it. Sorry to hear about your home but great to see that you are safe and you have the insurance and are rebuilding. :icon_sunny: God bless ya for helping others in need! :angel5:
I bet that little bank was something really special to someone long ago, now it's special for you. :)
Take care,
Nana :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions