Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Mar 2009
    Oklahoma
    Tesoro Tejon
    34 times

Token Cache !!! Updated! More Tokens!!!

Hey all, This started with 2 tokens i found last evening and this is what i've found sofar this evening. I could not believe my eyes!!!
    Here's a link to the extended version http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,406891.0.html

buckshot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25Token Cache 001.JPG 
Views:	1809 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	538899  

us
    Mar 2009
    202 times

Re: Token Cache !!!

Good boy rufus! oh yeah, nice find to you buckshot I just know there is more stuff waiting in that yard, I bet those were fun to dig up in such a small space.

now teach that dog to find flint!!

us
    Apr 2011
    NW PA
    Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari

Nice little cache! What kind of metal are the tokens made outta?
    Bryan H.

us
    May 2011
    18 times

Give rufus a steak dinner for those finds!!Those tokens look real old.

us
    Nov 2010
    California
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    648 times

Groovy token cache! What fun! My second time detecting I totally enjoyed finding 19 tokens scattered widely and deep in a volleyball court but they were all modern tokens of varied types, most were discolored by time underground, so probably seeded there a few years ago for a detecting game that never took place (or else deeper than those they detected successfully). Your old tokens are a groovier find than mine! But your avatar confuses me -- clearly it's not you and not your dog. Is it a llama? a goat? My old eyes can't figure it out, lol. Congrats on your cache! Andi

HCW

Feb 2007
    White's MXT
    53 times

Cool. Does anyone know how old they are.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    762 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

dats a mule .-- rufus is a dawg --- nice tokens --- old in trade style store tokens of varying amounts value wize by the looks of em -- sweet find

most likely there made of copper / brass (normally) and used in the past by some old store / trader in the area * -- if the store /trader went out of bussiness they would be useless and maybe given to kids as play money -- the youngins might have buried their "treasure" stash by the tree * --- or else a wife might have stash a bit of store token "mad money" from her husband --or the otherway around --say if wife or hubby --disapproved of them buying certain things -- tobbaco or drink --or what the other veiwed as "stupid items" - --one might put a couple dollars away ---in the old days a woman's "money" was often thought of as her "husbands" property --so many women hid the egg & butter money --as their spending cash --they would sell some eggs or butter for say a nickle (5 cents in tokens to the store ) and tell the husband they only got say 3 cents which they turned over -- and they pocketed and hid the other 2 cents as "mad money" )

us
    Aug 2008
    Wisconsin

How cool is that. Next to coins tokens are the best.

us
    Nov 2008
    Pikes Peak
    Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
    482 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Congrats !!!! I've found a couple of token Caches my self through the years,know the feeling

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    78 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

that is a pretty darn exciting find !!
    ALLEN

us
    May 2008
    Central South Carolina
    White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
    1 times

Those are slot machine tokens and are most probably from the 1920's-1940's. What's unusual is that they have different vender numbers.

TOKENS AND MEDALS by Alpert & Elman, 1st edition, 1992 has the following:

Numbered Slot Machine Tokens-
    Tokens with thousands of different numbers are known. The numbers represent individual machines or machine operators or businesses. The numbers range from 0-to the 35,000ís plus some higher numbers.
    My guess is that the 25 cent tokens are not quite as old as the more common 5 cent ones.

us
    pezhead and md'er

Apr 2008
    rhode island
    titan 1000 xd

cool
    my name is aimee and i'm from rhode island.  woonsocket area.
    GOT PEZ??
    OLDEST COINS
    1914 wheatie penny!!!
    1899 V nickel
    1917 merc!
    1965 washington quarter
    Half-?
    Dollar-n/a

us
    Apr 2005
    Sandy Ridge Pa
    Whites's XLT
    10 times
    Metal Detecting

Nice find! I would be excited just finding one of those!
    But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5958 times

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lomax
    Those are slot machine tokens and are most probably from the 1920's-1940's. What's unusual is that they have different vender numbers.

TOKENS AND MEDALS by Alpert & Elman, 1st edition, 1992 has the following:

Numbered Slot Machine Tokens-
    Tokens with thousands of different numbers are known. The numbers represent individual machines or machine operators or businesses. The numbers range from 0-to the 35,000ís plus some higher numbers.
    My guess is that the 25 cent tokens are not quite as old as the more common 5 cent ones.

I'd guess somone Buried them out of fear
    they would be raided.

Feb 2008
    2 times

I am wondering about the slot machine tokens. I know you have a book in front of you, but it seems that tokens that are exactly the same for 5 cents, 25, and 50 with possibly more (can't see for sure) wouldn't be too feasable. Just don't seem right. And the "in trade" part makes one wonder also. But like I said....you have the book. Even into the 50's, the vast majority of the slots were 5 cents, a large amount of money then, perhaps more than a quarter today. I have a mess of tokens from 5 cents to 5 dollars. All were the same size, although there were a couple of different color of metals for the different denominations. "Good for 25c in trade". No name on them, but the bigger denomination ones had a stamped-in number. I am thinking all the $1 were the same number/metal, and so on.

Did I mention that I hate "orphan" tokens for just this reason--don't know where to spend them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors