• 25Token Cache 001.JPG
    25Token Cache 001.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 1,917
Upvote 0

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Re: Token Cache !!!

Good boy rufus! oh yeah, nice find to you buckshot :laughing9: I just know there is more stuff waiting in that yard, :icon_thumleft: I bet those were fun to dig up in such a small space.

now teach that dog to find flint!!

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari

Nice little cache! What kind of metal are the tokens made outta?

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

Give rufus a steak dinner for those finds!!Those tokens look real old.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Groovy token cache! What fun! My second time detecting I totally enjoyed finding 19 tokens scattered widely and deep in a volleyball court but they were all modern tokens of varied types, most were discolored by time underground, so probably seeded there a few years ago for a detecting game that never took place (or else deeper than those they detected successfully). Your old tokens are a groovier find than mine! But your avatar confuses me -- clearly it's not you and not your dog. Is it a llama? a goat? My old eyes can't figure it out, lol. Congrats on your cache! Andi

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

dats a mule .-- rufus is a dawg --- nice tokens --- old in trade style store tokens of varying amounts value wize by the looks of em -- sweet find

most likely there made of copper / brass (normally) and used in the past by some old store / trader in the area * -- if the store /trader went out of bussiness they would be useless and maybe given to kids as play money -- the youngins might have buried their "treasure" stash by the tree * --- or else a wife might have stash a bit of store token "mad money" from her husband --or the otherway around --say if wife or hubby --disapproved of them buying certain things -- tobbaco or drink --or what the other veiwed as "stupid items" - --one might put a couple dollars away ---in the old days a woman's "money" was often thought of as her "husbands" property --so many women hid the egg & butter money --as their spending cash --they would sell some eggs or butter for say a nickle (5 cents in tokens to the store ) and tell the husband they only got say 3 cents which they turned over -- and they pocketed and hid the other 2 cents as "mad money" )

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats !!!! I've found a couple of token Caches my self through the years,know the feeling :icon_pirat:

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are slot machine tokens and are most probably from the 1920's-1940's. What's unusual is that they have different vender numbers.

TOKENS AND MEDALS by Alpert & Elman, 1st edition, 1992 has the following:

Numbered Slot Machine Tokens-
Tokens with thousands of different numbers are known. The numbers represent individual machines or machine operators or businesses. The numbers range from 0-to the 35,000’s plus some higher numbers.
My guess is that the 25 cent tokens are not quite as old as the more common 5 cent ones.

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find! I would be excited just finding one of those!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eddie Lomax said:
Those are slot machine tokens and are most probably from the 1920's-1940's. What's unusual is that they have different vender numbers.

TOKENS AND MEDALS by Alpert & Elman, 1st edition, 1992 has the following:

Numbered Slot Machine Tokens-
Tokens with thousands of different numbers are known. The numbers represent individual machines or machine operators or businesses. The numbers range from 0-to the 35,000’s plus some higher numbers.
My guess is that the 25 cent tokens are not quite as old as the more common 5 cent ones.

I'd guess somone Buried them out of fear
they would be raided.

:thumbsup:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

I am wondering about the slot machine tokens. I know you have a book in front of you, but it seems that tokens that are exactly the same for 5 cents, 25, and 50 with possibly more (can't see for sure) wouldn't be too feasable. Just don't seem right. And the "in trade" part makes one wonder also. But like I said....you have the book. Even into the 50's, the vast majority of the slots were 5 cents, a large amount of money then, perhaps more than a quarter today. I have a mess of tokens from 5 cents to 5 dollars. All were the same size, although there were a couple of different color of metals for the different denominations. "Good for 25c in trade". No name on them, but the bigger denomination ones had a stamped-in number. I am thinking all the $1 were the same number/metal, and so on.

Did I mention that I hate "orphan" tokens for just this reason--don't know where to spend them.

OP
OP
buckshot

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon

Hey again, Thanks for everyones input and info. I really don't know much of anything about tokens. I did run over them with a magnet and nothing happened.
So, I dont know what metal they could be. It looks like at one time they may have had a brass/bronze plating on them. The only two denominations i have found in the cache are 5 cent and 25 cent tokens.
Ok, I went back out this evening and did alittle more detecting on that spot and came up with 5 more tokens. That makes 30 tokens alltogether sofar! This is my first cache of anything worth noting and i've been pretty excited about it! Gotta hear that BEEP!
Thanks again all... buckshot

Attachments

• +5 Token Cache 005.JPG
    +5 Token Cache 005.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 1,200

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Thems some mighty fancy washers you got there! :wink: That one number 17,460, matches some from yesterday, doesn't it/ it'll be neat to see how many numbers match. :dontknow:don't know what it'll mean, but it'll be neat. did rufus help?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
gambling tokens / slot tokens * -- were often used in attempt to get around the law --- you bought "tokens" that were often marked -- no cash value *-- in some cases the "no cash value" slot token was the same roughly size and shape wize as the coin value it was meant to represent --- by demonitizing the token --marking it as having "no cash or trade value -- for amusement only" --was often marked on em - making them as "valueless" like that made it hard for the cops to bust you for running a gambling machine -- often the nickle type machines were set up in such a way that that upon each play they "sold" you a gumball or stick of gum --thus "legally speaking" it was a gum vending machine that had a "fun game" built into it -- these were called "trade stimulaters"--of course in real life if no cops were looking the tokens were redeemed with cash --as it really was a gambling machine after all.

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
I recently found a cache of very similar tokens, I found 11 and I let my hunting buddy sweep my area to get some too.He found 8, so we came up with 21 total. I think mine were contemprary with yours, from what I can tell. The area we found ours in , we also found coins dated from 1896 to 1927, so I would lean towards 1920's era .I noticed all the ones in my cache had the same vendor number, where as I noticed you had some different vendors in your "pile", I think that is interesting,and possibly means it was a "collection", as opposed to being in use when lost.Not to get your hopes up, but I was offered 150 bucks for mine, and took it ! I didn't even have time for pictures!But Ebay offers similar ones for .99 cents pretty often. :(
I know how you felt when you found your stash, cool feelin, huh? :headbang:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Cache Find!
Interesting reading here,