This is the strangest thing I have found so far!

Company F

Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/White's Classic IDX/Fisher F2
I found this today at a public park in my neighborhood. I was getting a VDI of 85 on my White's MXT using my smaller 5.3 concentric sniper coil. It is an old brass Coca Cola watch fob measuring 1-3/4" by 1-3/4" and was manufactured around 1925 by the Schwaab company in Milwaukee. Cokes were 5 cents back in those days and probably still contained cocaine. Back then, the swastika was a symbol of good fortune and success. It had been used throughout history dating back to the ancient Egyptians and our own Native Americans, just to mention a couple. It was not a symbol of hatred or Nazi Germany yet. This was all about to change.

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpgcrpsm.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpgcrpsm.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,615
Upvote 3

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I have a "good luck" medallion with a large swastika on it, surrounded by other good luck tokens.

I also have a US WWI recruiting poster with Liberty walking with a bayonet in her hand, in the corner is a poem with a swastika between the title and the body.

Up until after the war, even into the early 50's, there was the Swastika Coal Company in Northern New Mexico. Had tokens and all kinds of things including delivery trucks with swastikas emblazoned. Lucky they didn't suffer an air strike.

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Very nice find - I think the cocaine was removed earlier, maybe by 1906, when the Pure Food and Drug act was passed. That might be worth having restored (straightened and cleaned), knowing how Coca-Cola advertising is highly collectible, and with the swastika factor.

RickyD

Jan 21, 2006
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550. Garrett Pro Pointer
My bet is the fob was manufactured square, and someone used a grinding bit or the like to make the notches that gave it the swastika look.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fob !!!! :headbang: Looks like someone used some method to notch it,to me as well.

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)
Here in Hungary the swastika, together with the red star and hammer&sickle are illegal to display in public (flags, t-shirts, hats, armbands, jewelry, etc) except for purposes of education, reenactment, etc.. So please appreciate the freedom to display your antique nazi-coca-cola medal!!! :laughing7:
Anyway, it's a real cool find. Congrats!!!!!!!!! :hello2:

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find - 1st one I've ever seen!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat piece... funny but the swastika was not universally drawn either clockwise or counterclockwise, and it occurs in both curved and squared forms

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
It appears that the Hindus were either very conflicted or very neutral.

I wish your chart had some time periods on it. I know many of those appeared hundreds to thousands of years ago. Interesting. The "Star of David" motif may also have a varied history. I have an almost ancient Moroccan coin with a Star of David on it, and I doubt it celebrated diversity. I think it dated to early Moslem invasion periods.

Sometimes, the Anasazi used the motif in a continuous pattern all the way around the pot or jug.

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first thought is that it's valuable as a collectible, some people are really into old coka cola items.
And furthermore it's just cool!
Nice find,
Born Free

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if it's bent at the top because it's supposed to be a bottle top opener!

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Boy, before looking at Firefighter 35's referenced web site, I would have had no problem believing that someone ground a swastika out of a square. Good research!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's so cool. It is called a 'Lucky charm' swastika fob by Coca-Cola circa 1925 USA. I was offered 60.00 for mine through a private collector.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,159
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,153

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread