prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres some old dirt roads where all my foundation sites are, They are all the old wagon trails from the areas early settlers. All combined? theres about 12 miles of dirt roads to detect so this morning I spent 2 hours and covered a 1/4 mile. The indian is paper thin with no date, the V nickel looks to be 188? when the light is just right :tongue3:
enjoy,
Pro-

Attachments

• 103_0694.JPG
    103_0694.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 858
  • 103_0694.JPG
    103_0694.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 865
  • 100_1329.JPG
    100_1329.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 846
  • 100_1327.JPG
    100_1327.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 838
  • 100_1328.JPG
    100_1328.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 838
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, I'd love to be able to detect the wagon trails left by early settlers! :icon_thumright:

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun detecting the other 11.75 miles! :notworthy:

Congrats on your Indians prolab69! :icon_thumright:

Dave

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These trails require a lot of time & effort but when the woods are alive with bugs and over growth they provide some nice hunting ground. :wink: found a few nice finds at intersecting trails . NE :thumbsup: ... older relics & coins , and is worth your time to get some of them . HH CMD

OP
OP
prolab69

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, last year I did pretty good on these trails, 3 large cents, a 2cent piece and a 1853 seated dime. But yes, the bugs can make you wish you never got out of bed. When hunting these trails the best digging tool is a streight claw hammer because the dirt is so packed down. In the center of the trail coins are only 2 or so inches down, in the side culverts they can be up to 8 inches or more....I was talking to one of the town locals and he clued me in as to where the park "was" about a 100 yrs ago, and is now someones private land. He also clued me in on how to contact the owner to gain hunting rights. An un-touched 150yr old park leaves quite a bit for the imagination.

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prolab69 said:
Yeah, last year I did pretty good on these trails, 3 large cents, a 2cent piece and a 1853 seated dime. But yes, the bugs can make you wish you never got out of bed. When hunting these trails the best digging tool is a streight claw hammer because the dirt is so packed down. In the center of the trail coins are only 2 or so inches down, in the side culverts they can be up to 8 inches or more....I was talking to one of the town locals and he clued me in as to where the park "was" about a 100 yrs ago, and is now someones private land. He also clued me in on how to contact the owner to gain hunting rights. An un-touched 150yr old park leaves quite a bit for the imagination.
It is a lot of work to hunt those old parks, let me be the first to offer help in tackling such a project :laughing9:. In all seriousness though, have fun with that...I am jealous. I have only hunted a few of the old groves/parks and they are so much fun. Good work on the trails also, looks like that Indian got stepped on by one too many oxen. Good luck!

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 miles of road and you dont even have to get permission to hunt .its gonna take you a long time to cover all that hope you find lots. suprdave

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
If your detector can work in water, be sure to check near any bridges, too. Especially small bridges like you showed in your photos. People have always been litter bugs. A lot of things lost work their way into the waterways. You deserve a few goodies, don't you think?

Once talked to a guy who got a smart idea. He purchased a gold dredge, then took it to Reno, on the bridge where lots of people ceremoniously disposed of rings and things after getting divorced. Couple hundred rings is a pretty good haul, no matter how you find 'em.

adeptr

Aug 4, 2010
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Older Garrett GTA 350, Newer Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the sites that give you more than the normal sites that have been assaulted by many! Great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread